shape
carat
color
clarity

Update on broken diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

andrewkl

Rough_Rock
Gentlemen (& ladies),I spoke to the jeweler to day regarding the diamond broken in the setting process. he is not inclined to assume full responsibility by taking back the diamond I had supplied to him, and replacing it with one of like quality & size. He is however, open to selling that diamond on my behalf (and likely at a loss), and then supplying me with a new one.the other option he offered was cutting the cost of the setting in half to offset my loss. the setting is 18k white gold with 6 smaller princess stones totalling approx. .68cts total. My cost was to have been $850.00 for that. he's willing to settle it out at $400.00.My alternative then might be to take the diamond, sell it via eBay or some other venue, and then obtain a replacement stone.My optimal solution is for him to simply say "OK, I screwed up, I'll replace the stone", but I don't think that's going to happen.How does the reduced cost of the setting strike you all?Thanks again for listening and offering your advice!Andrew

andrewkl

Rough_Rock
Thanks again... It was never my intent to utilize smear tactics on the web, but this guy has generated alot of business from my office, since we are next door neighbors. My boss had thousands of dollars of work at his store, and has pulled it back, so he's feeling a pinch. Others in my office had placed orders for items ranging from gold name plates to movado watches. Most have cancelled. I had considered the court system: small claims court. That's still an open option.My new fiance is so enamoured with the ring that she wants me to accept the settlement of a half price setting and walk away.I wish to hell I had come to this forum BEFORE my buying experience.... I had visited the site to get pricing and general knowledge, but this place is an absolute trasure trove!!!Regards and thanks!
Andrew

andrewkl

Rough_Rock
Thanks again... It was never my intent to utilize smear tactics on the web, but this guy has generated alot of business from my office, since we are next door neighbors. My boss had thousands of dollars of work at his store, and has pulled it back, so he's feeling a pinch. Others in my office had placed orders for items ranging from gold name plates to movado watches. Most have cancelled. I had considered the court system: small claims court. That's still an open option.My new fiance is so enamoured with the ring that she wants me to accept the settlement of a half price setting and walk away.I wish to hell I had come to this forum BEFORE my buying experience.... I had visited the site to get pricing and general knowledge, but this place is an absolute treasure trove!!!Regards and thanks!
Andrew

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for kind words, Andrew.
smile.gif
It is all thanks to Lawmax, Garry, David and StevL who make this place special
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Andrew, let's see what experts would say. I don't know whether you can press the jeweler by publishing the bad experience in the web or reporting about it to consumer organizations...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Experience dictates making a settlement when there is a bad experience and moving on. I think getting the diamond repaired at no cost and getting the mounting for 1/2 price might sound like an attempt at making you partially whole again. I would very much hesitate to leave the diamond there for sale on a consignement basis. You cannot control what will happen.You are going to be out a few hundred but not thousands. It is not practical to bring a lawsuit against someone unless the damages amount to a great deal of money or unless the principle matters more than the money you'll spend. AND, you might not win despite who is most in the right... Justice is blind, but not necessarily always fair.It could happen anywhere and to anyone. It never is a good experience to be "had", but it makes one more careful on the next deal.Good luck in getting this matter settled and done.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Andrew,Did you have the diamond insured? If not, you should probably consider doing so.lawmax

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results