shape
carat
color
clarity

Update (GOG & MWM)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Michel

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

My stone arrived safely to Mark Morell from GOG; however, I just recieved this message from mark Morell:

''it has been set in your mounting as of last night. There is a large feather in your stone. Orienting the stone so that the inscription is exposed between 2 prongs causes the feather to be positioned almost directly under a prong. The surface breaking feather in the stone is quite prominent when the stone is loose but less so when it is up close to the prong.''

I am SO worried about this; GOG told me that it wasn''t really possible to be seen with the naked eye. What have I done? Am I screwed - will I be disapointed?

Help!!!

3shebabes

Shiny_Rock
Can you call Mark Morrell to ask his honest opinion? How long have you had the stone from GOG? If it was shipped from GOG to Mark, that most likely means you recently purchased it and I can't imagine it couldn't be returned/exchanged for a different stone if it is truly a problem. Call Mark, tell him you were told the feather wasn't visible to the naked eye and you need his opinion on whether he'd keep it or not. I feel certain GOG will make it right if there has been some miscommunication. Don't wait -- call as soon as you can! That's what I would do...

SilverLily

Rough_Rock
Wow, I am getting a little concerned about these stones coming from GOG lately. First Kenny''s chipped one, then duckweber''s bruised one, and now this one with a surface breaking feather. It concerns me that these stones are passing their inspection. I have a stone from GOG that I may upgrade in the future, and I never did get it appraised...I just trusted GOG''s opinion. I guess in the future I will definitely get any new stone appraised.

I would be concerned about your diamond getting knocked and the feather turning into a chip! If you can return the stone, I would.

MP

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn''t worry too much. Most likely Mark was looking at the stone under 10x or 40x capable lenses to find the best way to mount the stone. He is a meticulous designer for that very reason and I''m sure it will look unbelievable to the naked eye. I would however look over the GIA cert and see if the feather appears on it.

talen316

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a stone from GOG as well and couldn't be happier with it. The jeweler that is desiging the setting for me had her GG on staff inspect the stone and everything checked out perfectly. One of the reasons I went with Jon over some of the other online merchants who just drop ship stones is the value add offered by Jon's expertise in evaluating the stones and the indepth analysis that Jon provides. I don't feel any differently now after reading a few of the issues that people have raised then I did when I made my purchasing decision. Still, I am interested to hear Jon's side of the story and what the final outcome is on these situations to make all parties happy with the transaction.

What is the clarity grade on the stone and from what vantage point is the feather visible to the naked eye? Is it noticeable face up or might it be noticeable from an angle outside of the generally accepted definition of eyeclean?

Once you get all the info you can from Mark, I would call Jon ASAP and talk to him about this.

Michel

Rough_Rock
I tell ya what, you cannot fault GOG''s customer service...

They offered me two replacements straight away.

They are as follows. What do you reckon guys, I need a quick answer:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3892/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2246/

I''m tempted to err on the side of caution and just get the smaller one, better quality one.. but even that has quite a lot of clouding for a VS2....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 3:30:56 PM
Author: SilverLily
Wow, I am getting a little concerned about these stones coming from GOG lately. First Kenny''s chipped one, then duckweber''s bruised one, and now this one with a surface breaking feather. It concerns me that these stones are passing their inspection. I have a stone from GOG that I may upgrade in the future, and I never did get it appraised...I just trusted GOG''s opinion. I guess in the future I will definitely get any new stone appraised.

I would be concerned about your diamond getting knocked and the feather turning into a chip! If you can return the stone, I would.
my stone from GOG checked out fine.
Kenny''s stone was a while back.
need more details on just what the "bruise" is before passing judgement on that one.
open feathers are a common inclusion in si graded diamonds as long as they aren''t open too the crown or a huge open pit they are ok.
eyeclean is a judgement call and has specific meaning depending on vendor.
Honestly if Jon says its eyeclean I wouldn''t sweat it and have it delivered too see myself.

Michel

Rough_Rock
But, lets not forget that I live int he UK, so once it is here, it is here for good.

Moreover, all my proposal plans are booked for the 19th march (train, hotel in Paris etc). Plus, based on our schedules, its literally the only time in the next six months that I can propose.

I really need to get it done for about the 5th march, when my relative is bringing it over from the states....

The other thing I just realised is that I cannot even get a smaller stone, because the setting has already been made up for a 0.97 stone... I am in real trouble.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you talked too Mark about it further?

Michel

Rough_Rock
This one might be the answer, but I have not yet seen the cert...

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3037/

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 4:06:23 PM
Author: Michel
This one might be the answer, but I have not yet seen the cert...

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3037/
kicken diamond

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
you have the link too the stone Mark has now handy?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 4:01:34 PM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 2/28/2008 3:30:56 PM

Author: SilverLily

my stone from GOG checked out fine.

Kenny''s stone was a while back.

need more details on just what the ''bruise'' is before passing judgement on that one.

open feathers are a common inclusion in si graded diamonds as long as they aren''t open too the crown or a huge open pit they are ok.

eyeclean is a judgement call and has specific meaning depending on vendor.

Honestly if Jon says its eyeclean I wouldn''t sweat it and have it delivered too see myself.

ditto!! kenny''s sitution was a long time ago..and we don''t have enough info on these other two to make a generalized statement about concern for all these stones coming from GOG lately. 3 isn''t a lot compared to what they sell each week. I honestly would not be worried at all.

michael, glad to see GOG stepped right up and offered replacements if you so choose. I''d try to talk to MM and Jon and see if there is another one that will work better for you so you can feel comfortable with your purchase.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michel, I would do exactly what 3shebabes suggested and get on the phone with Mark as soon as humanly possible! If, in his judgement, your present stone is not what you were lead to believe........ then I believe choice #3 (below) is probably the stone of your dreams. H color is beautiful and VS1 pretty much insures that you won''t have anything surprising in it. In fact I''d be shocked if you could see any inclusion in a GIA certified VS1 even with a loupe. I own a pair of VS2s that I made into ear studs and the setter couldn''t find anything in them even under 30x magification.

I know exactly how you feel. I had my own "custom" piece disaster yesterday and it causes so much stress and tension.
Without even seeing your first stone, I''d say that if Mark stopped the process and called you? He''s got serious doubts too. If you can swing the price difference, go for the H VS1.

Michel

Rough_Rock
For those who are interested:

Here is the original stone

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3661

As you can see, the size of it did make me think in the first place...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I would not fault GOG on this one. The feather is extremely visible on their microscopic photo. I would have never been able to handle those inclusions, but then, I am kind of clarity-sensitive.

I think the H VS1 looks great!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 4:53:12 PM
For those who are interested:

Here is the original stone

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3661

As you can see, the size of it did make me think in the first place...
that is a big feather.
Mark sets under magnification so its no wonder he would see it.
Have you talked to Mark about it further?

Michel

Rough_Rock
Its being sorted out right now.. I will write a full post in a second, but I will say that Jon from GOG is a brilliant guy!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 5:11:56 PM
Its being sorted out right now.. I will write a full post in a second, but I will say that Jon from GOG is a brilliant guy!
kewl I know Jon will take care of you.
With that feather I would not consider it unusual for 2 experts to have conflicting opinions on how visible it is.
Which is why I''m curious as too what Mark is saying.

Michel

Rough_Rock
Ok, here goes.

As said above, Jon immediately offered me a couple of alternatives; the promptness of his response (literally like five minutes) was so much appreciated and he knew fully how quick we needed to be on this so that Mark could have any chance of the new deadline.

As I live in the UK, Jon was also kind enough to speak to Mark on my behalf to discuss the issue so that I did not have to make a really expensive phone call!

You are right about split opinion; a master gemologist was in mark''s office at the time and said Mark was being insane! HAHA!

However, and this is the real tribute to both Jon and Mark. It is being replaced with a H VS1 0.91, which costs about $1200 more than the original stone, all at Jon''s expense. I told him that customer service of this kind literally does not exist in the UK. I feel so valued and Jon''s understanding is so appreciated that I want to marry him, not my girlfriend!

Mark will also make a brand new setting for the new size, AND still meet the old March 5th deadline.

I tell ya guys, I would recommend no one else in the whole of America than these two guys. Mark is clearly so particular that it seems to me to be pointless to send to an appraiser and Jon''s customer service is the best I have ever experienced. Its a perfect combo.

Now I am thinking back onto seeing my girlfriends face when she sees the ring, rather than images of disaster going through my mind!

What a stressful worry, but what a great result. Thanks Jon and Mark!

talen316

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 5:27:31 PM
Ok, here goes.

As said above, Jon immediately offered me a couple of alternatives; the promptness of his response (literally like five minutes) was so much appreciated and he knew fully how quick we needed to be on this so that Mark could have any chance of the new deadline.

As I live in the UK, Jon was also kind enough to speak to Mark on my behalf to discuss the issue so that I did not have to make a really expensive phone call!

You are right about split opinion; a master gemologist was in mark''s office at the time and said Mark was being insane! HAHA!

However, and this is the real tribute to both Jon and Mark. It is being replaced with a H VS1 0.91, which costs about $1200 more than the original stone, all at Jon''s expense. I told him that customer service of this kind literally does not exist in the UK. I feel so valued and Jon''s understanding is so appreciated that I want to marry him, not my girlfriend!

Mark will also make a brand new setting for the new size, AND still meet the old March 5th deadline.

I tell ya guys, I would recommend no one else in the whole of America than these two guys. Mark is clearly so particular that it seems to me to be pointless to send to an appraiser and Jon''s customer service is the best I have ever experienced. Its a perfect combo.

Now I am thinking back onto seeing my girlfriends face when she sees the ring, rather than images of disaster going through my mind!

Glad to hear you got a quick and happy resolution to your situation. I would have been shocked if Jon didn''t do what ever it took within reason to make you happy with your purchase. Sounds like he went above and beyond.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2008 5:27:31 PM
Ok, here goes.

I''m sure Jon will be pleased to hear this.
9.gif

And I''m not really surprised to hear how well they are taking caring of you, both are consummate professionals. But kudos to them anyway!
emthup.gif

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like it is being worked out. Glad to hear that. Was Mark's concern about the feather that it would be a weak point and could chip during setting? Or was he worried about covering up the inscription to mask the feather?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is great news! It does not surprise me about Jonathan at all. He is wonderful!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michel, I am SO happy this is all working out for you AND on such a timely basis AND with no added expense to you! The great thing is, you''re working with two true professionals who trust and respect each other. Bravo to them both for doing the absolute right thing.

Be sure to post pictures of this beauty after you pop "the question"!

I''m so glad you''re going with that H VS1. What a great rock!

sera

Ideal_Rock
So glad to hear everything is worked out (though I expected it would be!). Early congrats on your future engagement... I hope the rest of your plans go well and you come back here promptly with pictures!

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Talk about customer service and going WAY above and beyond to make the customer happy! Can''t wait to see the finished product.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW! Kudos to Jonathan and Good Old Gold-that''s outstanding! I''m glad everything has worked out for the best.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s great news, thanks for the update. I can''t wait to see your ring. Jonathon is a great guy!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is just wonderful news. i''m so glad GOG and Mark are taking such great care of you, of course, i really would have been surprised if they wouldn''t have stepped up. please come back with pictures once the ring is all done!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results