shape
carat
color
clarity

Update: College Student - Help Pick Diamond!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

steve006

Rough_Rock
Hey everybody thanks for your help so far. I think I have narrowed it down to two settings. One is on BlueNile.com and the other is from SunJewelery.com. Now i just need to find a diamond. Princess cut at least color H and i''m looking around for a VS2 or above.

Here are the settings.

A.
horizonwholesale_1927_26779867

Diamond????? http://www.sunjewelry.com/81704213d.html . (doesn''t have a GIA) (is that important)?
I need help with a diamond on that site. I''m trying to stay around 3,300ish for total price.
or should i just select a diamond from that setting page. It picks one for you on the right side of the page
at http://www.sunjewelry.com/er2165.html

B.
DM36500600_PR_75_zoom.jpg

DM36500600_PR_75_275x250.jpg

now setting B is more expensive at 1,900. So I would need to go with a cheaper diamond but I don''t know how to find one on that site. http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=3173&page=1&filter_id=1&col=1&row=5&pos=13&set_shape=

Could you guys help me out and give me any advice? Or should I find a Diamond from an entire different site? I think I should buy both from the same site so they could just sent it to me together. THANKS!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The EGL stone does not look attractive. Either camera is too close or it is indeed unattractive.

EGL USA is ok...they may be one color off.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would not ever choose a diamond that just came with a setting. You want to choose your own diamond. I would stick with GIA or AGS. You mention only color and clarity but what do you know about cut? That is a lot more important.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
by the way, has she specified she likes this style?

armylynn

Rough_Rock
I ordered from SunJewelry and if you want to order the diamond from them also all you have to do is order the ring as setting only,then at the top of their page go to where they have the loose diamond section. Choose the shape you want and they will have a listing of GIA and EGL certified stones that you can choose from if thats the way you want to go. When you order the stone they will set it in the setting only...Mine was EGL certified but most of their diamonds they have pics of so you can at least see what you are ordering. I think Blue NIle works pretty much in the same way that you order the setting only and choose the diamond.

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Also, keep in mind that your ring may not look exactly like the sample photos you have picked. I can't say for sure, but the samples look like they use a center stone that is larger than the range you have in mind. Did you look at the Knox links I gave you in your other thread? I would be hesitant to purchase a setting unless you get a few different views of it.

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I like the first setting better.

I think a GIA or AGS cert is important. If you''ve found that you like bluenile, you could order the diamond there, the setting from sunjewelry and have a jeweler set it for a (probably) small fee. The best thing about buying a diamond on bluenile is the sliders. You can go the the tutorial here on pricescope, find the ideal depth/table for a princess and use the sliders to limit your search. You could also look on whiteflash.

steve006

Rough_Rock
Why do you guys sound like you don''t like any of them???? I said I needed help with finding a diamond. so that EGL or whatever it was, was just one of the first ones I clicked on. I don''t know much about cut. I thought it was just the clarity and color and table that was the most important. sorry. Any suggestions?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m just not familiar with that company and do not know if the quality matches the prices. If you''ll hang on a bit, I imagine some people around here could give you some suggestions of nice stones from highly trusted vendors, and maybe one of them will have a similar setting.

steve006

Rough_Rock
thanks. Now we are looking at any baguette setting with a princess on it.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
classy!

I just thought the settings seemed a little...dated, and was taking a lot of money out of your budget.

did you have a carat weight in mind (or better yet, mm size?)

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 11:09:56 PM
Author: steve006
thanks. Now we are looking at any baguette setting with a princess on it.
I posted this combo on the last thread and I still think it is a pretty good buy . . . I don''t know much about princess cut diamonds so maybe someone could make sure this diamond is worth the price and has great cut?

Try this combo:
Setting is $900 in white gold and stone is about $2150 after the PS wire discount for a total of $3050

Diamond: http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-114417.htm

Setting: http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Baguette-Diamond-Ring_969.htm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, here''s my attempt to give you some new but similar options:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Baguette-and-Round-Diamond-Ring_967.htm#

This setting (above) is $1300-1500 depending on whether you go with wg or platinum.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Baguette-Diamond-Ring_969.htm

The second one is only $967 in 18k wg.

Here''s a stone that might work $2153 with wire and PriceScope discounts(I don''t see any AGS0 stones that are around this size and price in H VS, but this one says it gets 0 in light performance, which is good):

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-114417.htm

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
diamond seeker . . . we are on the same wavelength :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol!!! Can you believe we posted the same diamond AND setting, Hikerchick?! I had my reply screen up while you were replying because I was searching for diamonds and settings...and found the same ones you did!

steve006

Rough_Rock
wt is probably around .7 ct ( up or down a little). I don''t know anything about the mm?

Hiker: that WF plain bagette setting is nice but too plain. if it had a something little extra on it I would love it. Thanks for your help. I''ll look at those newest links right now.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 11:42:19 PM
wt is probably around .7 ct ( up or down a little). I don''t know anything about the mm?

Hiker: that WF plain bagette setting is nice but too plain. if it had a something little extra on it I would love it. Thanks for your help. I''ll look at those newest links right now.
Use the diamond both diamond seeker and I suggested and if the cheaper setting is too plain, try the first setting diamond seeker suggested and you will only overshoot your budget by $50 . . .

steve006

Rough_Rock
Whats the diamond seeker? sorry

I wish there was a setting with bagettes and Princess together in the sidestones instead of bagettes and rounds together with a Princess center stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2007 11:49:38 PM
Whats the diamond seeker? sorry

I wish there was a setting with bagettes and Princess together in the sidestones instead of bagettes and rounds together with a Princess center stone.
She was just talking to me! (see my name?)

I''m not sure I can recall baguettes and princess together in a band, but there may be one somewhere. It''s my bedtime, but maybe some others on the west coast can help you further!

steve006

Rough_Rock
Sorry no Bazel. You really like Knox dont you?

steve006

Rough_Rock

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
I''m just trying to help...and Knox seems to have lots of options that fit your budget. Buy from whomever you want.
1.gif
Mondera is a reputable company. I think a lot of us have tried to give you lots of options, but you seem to have your heart set on a specific design so go for it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing shows up when I click your link. How about giving two separate links for the setting and the stone.

steve006

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know if there are any discounts on the mondera website? Thanks

steve006

Rough_Rock
That one is nice hiker, but we have a friend that has that almost exact one. I think i''ve decided on the setting. Now i''m just trying to find the right diamond on the www.mondera.com website. We are looking at some around .73 to .78. I''m just not sure which one to get. I''m looking to spend about 2,500 at most on diamond. Can you guys help me find the right one on that site? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results