shape
carat
color
clarity

Unsetting/resetting a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mattm204

Rough_Rock
A dealer mistakenly set my diamond before I had a chance to re-inspect it before purchase. I think i''d like to re-inspect the diamond alone anyway and possibly get it appraised. Will unsetting/re-setting negatively affect the diamond or prongs at all? i.e. will it weaken the prongs or make them look "worn" or even damage the diamond? Or is unsetting/resetting a common and easy thing to do with rings?(I''m a novice if you can''t tell.)

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
I've read that removing a stone from a prong setting will weaken the prongs...what are they made of? Gold or platinum? 18k gold is a lot softer than platinum so I'd assume it'll be easier to remove. Also, if it's an 18k white gold ring, it may be set with platinum prongs.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
If you're concerned about identity, you should be able to identify it from the position and type of inclusions by comparing it to the plot - especially if it's the G, SI2 you mention in the other thread...have your jeweler help you with this...it can't be that difficult.

Regards,

mattm204

Rough_Rock
it's a platinum ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results