shape
carat
color
clarity

unsetting a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sat

Rough_Rock
What and how great are the risks of taking a diamond (princess cut/medium to thick girdle) out of a simple four prong setting?

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
I have a necklace that is now holding my solitaire from my old engagement ring. I never thought about risk but the jeweler didn't mention any when I had it removed and reset and I have had the necklace looked at by another jeweler and he didn't mention anything about damage.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Removing your princess diamond from the setting should not be a problem unless you have a jeweler with all thumbs or he is having a bad day.
It is possible to break off a corner if you get in a hurry or don't know what you are doing.
It is so easy that most jewelers don't charge anything.

sat

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the response. What would you do if you were having a ring made, were concerened about the diamond not being personally insured for loss, and needed to leave the ring with the jeweler for several weeks? Would you have the stone placed in a temporary setting for later removal and insure it, or not insure the stone and assume the jeweler is insured? Is the risk of damage of setting and removing the stone so great as to negate the benefit of insuring the stone? This may be a judgment call, but your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results