shape
carat
color
clarity

unpopular jewelry opinions

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I like smaller CS and diamonds, just as much as big, and there is such a thing as too big for me especially when it comes to ring stones.

I like champagne/brown diamonds, and other brown CS (have seen some gorgeous yellow-brown sphenes and copper-brown tourmalines!).

I really like some decidedly non ideal CS- I love the emeralds that are one shade too light, and have fallen head over heels for sapphires and spinels that have grey modifiers.

I also like pearls that are less than 8mm, even though I am supposed to be past the age for wearing smaller pearls. I really like how fresh and delicate the strands with smaller pearls can look.

I like WG over platinum and welcome saving the $$$ (the platinum patina does nothing for me). I also like silver!

There is such a thing as too much bling for me. I admire so many pieces on PS but then have to come away and reality check- too much pave, too ornate, too big- none of those work for me in real life, no matter how much I drool over other peoples pieces!

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
This is fun reading and glad it got bumped!

I find bead-shaped prongs sometimes more flattering/practical than claw prongs.

I am fascinated by CS with inclusions.

I seem to only like OECs in tiny or enormous sizes (but I don't own either).

I like warm colored CS (like hot pink rubellite) with white metal.

I like high, open settings.

Other than my ER/wedding band I only wear 1 ring at a time.

I can't seem to get into chrysoberyl (sorry Neil). I to look but can't see myself wearing it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
enbcfsobe|1420916095|3814600 said:
This is fun reading and glad it got bumped!

I find bead-shaped prongs sometimes more flattering/practical than claw prongs.

I am fascinated by CS with inclusions.

I seem to only like OECs in tiny or enormous sizes (but I don't own either).

I like warm colored CS (like hot pink rubellite) with white metal.

I like high, open settings.

Other than my ER/wedding band I only wear 1 ring at a time.

I can't seem to get into chrysoberyl (sorry Neil). I to look but can't see myself wearing it.

Hahaha.

I can't convert everyone I'm only one woman ;-) :lol:

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Unlike most others on Pricescope I haven't caught the old cut bug or even the colored stone or fancy cut craze. I enjoy looking at them, but they are not for me. I want all of my stones to be diamonds and I want all of my diamonds to be modern round brilliant super ideal cuts. Boring I know, but there you have it!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like creamy OEC's with character

I do not like modern, perfectly cut, icy white stones on my own hand

I am willing to spend thousands on a setting for colored stones that costs hundreds

I have colored stones set, based on vendor and jeweller's pics only since I live in Europe

I love Diana's/Kate's dark sapphire ring, but I love that my sapphire is bright

I like trade ideals as well as well as non trade ideals and bright saturated stones as well as softer 'nature colors'

I wear a 5 ct diamond on a daily basis

I love solitaires and blingytaires more than halos

I love rose cut diamonds and would like to own one

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer my wife buying me diamonds not the other way around... :bigsmile:

EC4me

Rough_Rock
I love the contrast of icy white (DEF) diamonds in yellow gold but I prefer near colorless (GHI) diamonds in platinum!

Diamoneecee

Rough_Rock
I love fancy colored diamonds with the faintest hints of color (pastel ranges)rather than the deep, vivid, dark colored diamonds. I also like heart shaped diamonds and would love a faint pink heart shaped diamond in a halo pendant :love:

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
I don't like modern cushions (crushed iced).

I find higher coloured diamonds D-F sometimes look fake because they are so bright white (remind me of CZ's).

I don't like modern or elaborate settings.

I love fancy cuts like oval, marquise, emerald, heart, etc. But do not like asscher or octivia cuts. :-o

I love coloured stones but they intimidate me because I don't know enough about them.

I hate that so many PS'ers have tiny fingers. Damn these size 8 fingers of mine. :oops:

I'm not one for brand names, I could care less about Tiffany rings or Rolex watches.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
two_little_birds|1420941319|3814761 said:
I don't like modern cushions (crushed iced).

I find higher coloured diamonds D-F sometimes look fake because they are so bright white (remind me of CZ's).

I don't like modern or elaborate settings.

I love fancy cuts like oval, marquise, emerald, heart, etc. But do not like asscher or octivia cuts. :-o

I love coloured stones but they intimidate me because I don't know enough about them.

I hate that so many PS'ers have tiny fingers. Damn these size 8 fingers of mine. :oops:

I'm not one for brand names, I could care less about Tiffany rings or Rolex watches.

Well most of those are negative. :shhh: lol ;-)

But yes everyone with their ittybitty fingers!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like "champagne" or brown diamonds so long as they are light.
I think I prefer yellow gold over white metal in most situations.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I am completely agreeable to lab grown stones, as long as it is disclosed and priced accordingly. *gasp*
I like putting my engagement ring on first, and wedding band second, I think they look prettier and more balanced that way!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I like lower coloured diamonds. In many cases I prefer them.

I like buying bands from blue nile on sale - I am a bit if a bargain Hunter when it comes to simple things like that. I hate paying full price for things.

I don't have a preference for a single style - I seem to have mostly vintage style pieces, but I love modern styles as well. I would love a sleek sholdt half bezel setting.

I love solitaires on other people but I hate them on me. I wish I could rock something simple occasionally. But I just can't get my head around it.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I don't care for large Marquis cut stones (even though I have worn my 5 carat Marquis eternity band for 18 years)

I love white gold even though my original ER is in yellow.

I don't understand people who purchase clarity enhanced stones unless they are show offfs that need to show size.

I would love to purchase studs for my two girls but both their ears have guages and so I'd have to have ewire studs made..

I love stacking rings, I am always looking for inexpensive but real to wear.

I love octavia and would love to have one.

I prefer a simple solitaire ering although I am fascinating with pave halo.

I am obsessed with my studs but a little jacket would be a great bling addition even though I never go out with my hubby anywhere to actually wear them. (don't tell him as iDJ is making me a pair right now)

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Here are the opinions of a man in his 40s:

• I think men should feel more free to wear jewelry
    I love diamonds with a brown (as opposed to yellow) body color
    I prefer yellow or rose gold instead of "techie" metals like titanium on men
    I love pinky rings!!
    I wish one could still get a good florentine finish on gold jewelry

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please try and keep it positive guys

I dont want anybody to feel like their choices are being put down, or their opinion needs defending.

I find the best way to avoid that is to list things you DO like vs things you don't. :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bluelotus|1421013546|3814998 said:
Here are the opinions of a man in his 40s:

• I think men should feel more free to wear jewelry
    I love diamonds with a brown (as opposed to yellow) body color
    I prefer yellow or rose gold instead of "techie" metals like titanium on men
    I love pinky rings!!
    I wish one could still get a good florentine finish on gold jewelry

I looove yellow gold for men's jewelry. I "suggested" my husband get it just because I knew white would look weird with his skintone. He was skeptical until he saw it on his hand.

I totally get why people get alternative metals though, gold is so much $$$$, especially if you have a larger ring size.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1420901574|3814529 said:
I still like trillions:) I set them on each side of my yellow diamond and realized only afterwards that some people think that they are a bit outdated.

Trillions dated how about my original ering. still love it never wear it 1.44 G VVs1

_25967.jpg

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
I love trilliant side stones in three stone rings :rodent:.

Princess cuts are my least favorite next to marquis.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
I think halos on rounds < 7mm diameter look terrible.
I think air lines on halos are wretched.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
* I don't mind synthetics. It's all bling to me!
* I loved rich yellow gold and matte/satin finishes.
* I love patina on platinum and softer/higher kt yellow gold. Dinks are character!
* Princesses and (modern) cushions seem to be popular IRL-- don't like em. TAKE EM BACK! I'll say no. :Up_to_something:
* Everyone stays away from 14k but I <3 14k! I've learned I don't wear PT well, and 14 or 18k both get rhodium plated... so.... why... would I pay extra.....? :?:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1421341965|3816841 said:
* I don't mind synthetics. It's all bling to me!
* I loved rich yellow gold and matte/satin finishes.
* I love patina on platinum and softer/higher kt yellow gold. Dinks are character!
* Princesses and (modern) cushions seem to be popular IRL-- don't like em. TAKE EM BACK! I'll say no. :Up_to_something:
* Everyone stays away from 14k but I <3 14k! I've learned I don't wear PT well, and 14 or 18k both get rhodium plated... so.... why... would I pay extra.....? :?:

I fully agree with the 14k remark for white gold. I don't rhodium plate, but if I did I don't get why you'd pay 18k, especially when typically 14k is whiter anyways!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
teobdl|1421324599|3816691 said:
I think halos on rounds < 7mm diameter look terrible.
I think air lines on halos are wretched.

Well that's not keeping it positive :shhh:

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Doh... poor reading skillz. :wall: sorry...

I think Jim Meyer is the best jeweler/designer who isn't mainstream popular. Better than Canera , Kirsch, Morrell, Leon Mege. I mean, c'mon, the guy is on permanent collection at the Smithsonian. Quintessential American jewelry. http://www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com/

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1421342613|3816850 said:
I fully agree with the 14k remark for white gold. I don't rhodium plate, but if I did I don't get why you'd pay 18k, especially when typically 14k is whiter anyways!

I've been requesting unplated 14k wg using palladium as the alloy. Love it. It's generally "white"ish in color. Not stark, rhodium-white, but white enough :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
teobdl|1421344769|3816887 said:

I think Jim Meyer is the best jeweler/designer who isn't mainstream popular. Better than Canera , Kirsch, Morrell, Leon Mege. I mean, c'mon, the guy is on permanent collection at the Smithsonian. Quintessential American jewelry. http://www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com/

Haha that's OK. I just dontnwant anybody with hurt feelings.

I looove his stuff. A friend of mine does too and wants his stuff for her e ring, I really need to find her a man!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
teobdl|1421344769|3816887 said:

Your opinion is not as unpopular as you imagine! A pair of those SS pearl earrings would set me up for life!

cheers--Sharon

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
I think aquamarine is really pretty and fancy a 3 carat emerald cut with a pave split shank band one day by Victor Canera.
I also like patina on platinum.

SCARLETTE

Shiny_Rock
I don't mind HPHT treated diamonds because they let me maximize my budget. I wished I had known that 3 carat would be the biggest I would ever want so I could have looked for a HPHT 3-carat straight off the bat.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are 2 of my likes that I don't think have been mentioned yet:
I am fond of graduated pearl necklaces & I love plain wedding bands..."plain" meaning those without diamonds and/or colored gems; I like brushed or textured (e.g., engraved, carved, lightly hammered) wedding bands, and the simple classic ones with just the tiny beaded/milgrain edges are still a favorite of mine even though it seems few people choose them now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results