shape
carat
color
clarity

Unique Necklace

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Hi all

We have been playing with some ideas to use some of the stuff we mine in a unique way. Although our main product is sapphire, we have always thought there was a lot of potential in using black spinel. This is a gem that we find in association with our sapphire - it has a hardness of 8.0 and is very consistent so you get almost no cracks or flaws when cutting or polishing. We have thought this would be a good alternative to black diamond in particular as this seems to be exorbitantly expensive these days and even with treatment, very difficult to cut and polish - particularly in larger sizes. Black spinel does not have any of these problems and has natural colour without the need for treatment and available in a range of sizes. Maybe an option to use with diamonds as a white-black-white contrast?? Have not explored this fully yet.
We started cutting this gem in a range of shapes for jewellery and progressed into making beads - we have been very pleased with the results. Have attached a picture of some of the faceted ones for your interest - would be interested in comments.

Cheers Andrew Lane
www.aussiesapphire.com.au

Faceted_BS.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are superb ! Dreamworks for whoever got exasperated with those crackly black diamonds...

polbeads-black-white-twist.jpg

The strand looks fantastic and could become super elegant as easy as one says "spacers" - anything from gold flat beads to diamonds would dress the thing up''n down. Anything bright goes with black. Sure you know what I mean. Ladies, do not click this link
23.gif
Oh wel... definitely little black dress worthy. Does anyone think "black suit" works just as fine ?

(wiping off sweat....) Perhaps something like this:
pstar3.jpg
Not that the idea is entirely new on the planet, for all the good reasons, really.
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
are you cutting these beads in many different sizes, or have you found a certain size that works particularly well for most jewelry purposes?

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! I just LOVE that look!

I rather love these two ruby bead necklaces from Fay Cullen.
Multistrand:
p.jpg

Close up:
1.jpg

And Single:
p.jpg

Nice. Very, very nice...

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Hi

I agree with Ana that mostly these black beads would be more suited for use in conjunction with some other colour,those Ruby beads that you posted Velourial would look great in combination I think.
Belle, yes we have tried a few different sizes and shapes in this trial run. Those particular ones range from 7 to 10 mm diameter - hand faceted so there is some small variation among the beads. We though they might be good to use singly or with another gem as drop earrings?

Also got a few plain tumbled and cut tumbled beads of various sizes out of the rough that didnt suit the round faceted bead shape. Picture here for your interest.

cheers
Andrew Lane

CutTumbled_BS.jpg

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
and the plain tumbled ones. We have seen this kind of thing in all the bead shops with black onyx but you get a good idea of the gloss polish that you can get on this gem with this photo. Will post a picture of some sapphire beads with silver beads every so often along similar to Ana''s suggestion above - looks good but I''ll have to dig up a photo.

cheers again,
Andrew

Tumbled_BS.jpg

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice....but they look somwhat green on my monitor!!! ???

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i do like the plain tumbled beads!
1.gif

interesting, once maxine mentioned it, i did notice a greenish tinge. what would you describe the color of them to be andrew?

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Hi

These are as Jet black as you could ever see, must be a moniter variation?

Cheers Andrew Lane

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2005 11:34:46 PM
Author: lonewoodminer
Hi

These are as Jet black as you could ever see, must be a moniter variation?

Cheers Andrew Lane
very nice
36.gif
thanks for clarifying.
hehehe....yes, it may well be the monitor....then again, i am known to see green sometimes
9.gif

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
How about this one in black spinel also - nice to see someone using this great product with such creativity.

Found this at this link....

cheers

Andrew Lane

BS_lampwork.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the necklace, but not loving the yellow blob in the center!!
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone else tried these out
36.gif

j02_300.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2005 8:02:58 PM
Author: valeria101
Someone else tried these out
36.gif

j02_300.jpg
HEy... where did you fing those?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results