shape
carat
color
clarity

Unique malaya garnet

landscape

Shiny_Rock
This thread I will keep posting some rare and unique malaya garnets.
This time, I will post a 16.16ct orange malaya garnet from Tanzania, with unique color and unique size.
The color of this malaya is closer to spessartine, with a refractive index of around 1.78. However, there is still a difference in color from spessartite. Malaya garnet are obviously pinkish-orange in contrast. Compared with yellow Grossular, Malaya garnet is obviously orangey. In addition, malaya garnets have color shifts at different color temperatures
The reference for the following comparison is 11ct Fanta-Spessartite and 9ct Yellow Grossular.Considering that the color of this malaya garnet is relatively rare, and it is easy to cause variety disputes, I also post the identification certificate of this malaya garnet
DSC_8383.jpg DSC_8385.jpg DSC_8386.jpg DSC_8382.jpg DSC_8392.jpg DSC_8393.jpg DSC_8394.jpg DSC_8367.jpg DSC_8369.jpg
6c8fbb457da676f7dbfca72353db694.jpg

M

maru8888777

I thought it was a spess until you posted the comparison! Thank you for the education!

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I was about to comment on that stone when I saw it in your quarterly purchase stones in the Jedi spinels page. LIke Maru, I would have also thought it was a spess, though I am aware Malaya garnets can be on the orange side. It's good to see the comparison to the fanta garnet too, interesting.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
I was about to comment on that stone when I saw it in your quarterly purchase stones in the Jedi spinels page. LIke Maru, I would have also thought it was a spess, though I am aware Malaya garnets can be on the orange side. It's good to see the comparison to the fanta garnet too, interesting.

I know there will be a varietal discussion because the color of this malaya garnet does resemble spessartine, which is why I am posting the certificate of identification

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
which is why I am posting the certificate of identification

Lovely gem, as always!

I am not familiar with Guild. Are the light paths in the lower right of the report meaningful -- i.e., specific to your gem? Or is that just part of the background?

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I too was about to comment on the other topic that it looks a look like a Spess, then I googled it and saw that Malaya can be that yellow, plus you seem to know what you are doing and I didn't doubt the label at this point.

Impressive stone, love the inclusions.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Lovely gem, as always!

I am not familiar with Guild. Are the light paths in the lower right of the report meaningful -- i.e., specific to your gem? Or is that just part of the background?

I think this is a dedicated page about Vibrant-brilliance

landscape

Shiny_Rock
I too was about to comment on the other topic that it looks a look like a Spess, then I googled it and saw that Malaya can be that yellow, plus you seem to know what you are doing and I didn't doubt the label at this point.

Impressive stone, love the inclusions.

Yes, I am sure many people will think it is Spessartite

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results