shape
carat
color
clarity

Unique, interesting, or just plain odd stones...Post them here!

Rockcollector

Shiny_Rock
Thanks.

It is interesting that GIA's facet diagram does not accurately represent the actual.
Yes I noticed that. Maybe the one on James Allen’s website was not a Celebration 102. ‍♀️

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I noticed that. Maybe the one on James Allen’s website was not a Celebration 102. ‍♀
When I saw the diamond, I thought it was a Celebration 102. But the diamond's crown side faceting did not match the GIA facet diagram of Celeb 102 showned here. So, I ruled it out. https://beyond4cs.com/reviews/zales/celebration-diamonds/

I asked the GIA report from JA out of curiosity and the diagram matches that from beyond4cs. So I know the diamond is a Celeb 102 or at least has the same faceting as Celeb 102. I am confused GIA's diagram does not match the actual diamond.

@Karl_K @oldminer
Any insight on why the diagram does not match the faceting of the actual diamond?
Is this a normal practice for GIA for proprietary cuts or modified round brilliants?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K
Is this a normal practice for GIA for proprietary cuts or modified round brilliants?
This thread is very treacherous ground for a trade member so I have to be very very careful.
I'm not going to comment on that particular diamond, that report or even if they match or not.

I have "seen" many fancy cuts cushions in particular that the diagram doesn't match the faceting, I have "seen"(images, video, not in person) cases where 2 diamonds of the the same facet pattern had reports with different diagrams and names neither of which matched the diamond.
It seems at times when they dont have a matching diagram they just pick one.
Could this happen with non-standard rounds? yes I am sure it could.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who still has a photo of Lopsy Fugs?

J_502

Rough_Rock
I already posted this. And I would get it for myself if I had some cash.
I think it is better than 95% of the stones marketed as "old cut" out there.

www.jamesallen.com

1.00 Carat I-VS2 Very Good Cut Round Diamond
8885727 - This 1.00 Carat Round diamond I Color VS2 Clarity has Very Good proportions and a diamond grading report from GIA
www.jamesallen.com
www.jamesallen.com
Screenshot_20200810-081148_Chrome.jpg

J_502

Rough_Rock
@flyingpig

this is SO gorgeous...what a good eye you have. If it was higher in color I’d buy it in a heartbeat.I saw your post today and have just spent the last 2 hours trying to search by very good / good cut on JA but couldn’t find anything like you did. Please keep posting! You are so fun to follow:)

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@flyingpig why is that stone so gorgeous? Its facets are beautiful. I’m considering it. Do you think it’ll be great irl?

ThiaChelf

Shiny_Rock
I love this! Crisscuts are very appealing to me.

I thought my henri daussi that I got at a b&m store was a crisscut because where I got it sells both types. Then I realized its a daussi. I love both types though. The diamond database says its spready though which I think is funny. Cause its supposed to be.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I already posted this. And I would get it for myself if I had some cash.
I think it is better than 95% of the stones marketed as "old cut" out there.

www.jamesallen.com

1.00 Carat I-VS2 Very Good Cut Round Diamond
8885727 - This 1.00 Carat Round diamond I Color VS2 Clarity has Very Good proportions and a diamond grading report from GIA
www.jamesallen.com
www.jamesallen.com
Screenshot_20200810-081148_Chrome.jpg

Someone mentioned in an old post how they find modern stones cut like this on blue nile and James Allen, but I can't manage to find the post. Do you have any insight?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like someone forgot to finish cutting/polishing it! I would love to see the inclusion diagram on that stone but not sure if they
provide those for colored stones. I'm sure the intent here was to save as much of the stone as possible considering the unusual color
(but at what cost?)

I know cutters always leave at least a small 'skin' on fancy greens, to prove it was mined that way and not irradiated to get the colour, but that is taking it to the extremes... :lol: lol

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh my... It's like the cutter started off thinking Carre but changed their mind to Asscher. And then some.

yes! totally!!!! such an odd duckie!

Estrella185

Rough_Rock

Found these two today during my browsing

Estrella185

Rough_Rock

And these two fancy colored diamonds ! :kiss2:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results