shape
carat
color
clarity

Unicorn sapphire

missyc

Rough_Rock
Remote buying is so scary. Just pulled the trigger on an opalescent sapphire from an Etsy vendor.

I have been searching for a purplish-pink opalescent sapphire with a good amount of milk in it, but boy was it hard. I found that a lot of vendor pictures didn't match up with the additional videos I requested.

Now, I do own an opalescent sapphire already, but there is a sizeable black inclusion that I grew to dislike over the months of owning the ring, so I wanted to find one with similar colours but without the black inclusion.

I stumbled across this vendor the other day and finally pulled the trigger. A little bit worried because it doesn't seem like they usually trade in gemstones specifically. I have a one week window to return the stone after purchase, so I'm not completely out-of-pocket.

What do you guys think? I'm a bit giddy with excitement!

Screenshot_20240403_125551_Etsy.jpg

Screenshot_20240403_125606_Etsy.jpg

Screenshot_20240403_125615_Etsy.jpg

Here's my current ring for reference.
1000075767.jpg

MeatloafAirstrike

Rough_Rock
The color is pretty cool! The cut, however, doesn't look fantastic to me. It appears to be asymmetrical and there's a pretty major window considering you can clearly see the band through the stone in the hand shot.

It's a fun stone! I think you're aware of its limitations (cut, clarity, chips). So with that said, the color is positively ethereal!! I love that glowy lavender base with vivid pink and peach flashes. I hope you love it!

The color is pretty cool! The cut, however, doesn't look fantastic to me. It appears to be asymmetrical and there's a pretty major window considering you can clearly see the band through the stone in the hand shot.

That's her current ring (not the new stone), but I understand your point.

missyc

Rough_Rock
I think it is so cool! Please share some video in different lighting when you get it, I'm so interested in these milky sapphires!
Thanks Mooshi! It got shipped today, so the waiting game starts now! I have definitely fallen in love with milky sapphires. I think I would love a milky peacock one next :bigsmile:

What I like most about your lovely sapphire is how it shows two distinct colors at the same time. That is very unique and I can see why you love this stone.
Yes! Purple is my favourite colour, but it's so hard to find the right shade, since the colour fluctuates so much in different lighting, so I think I found my sweet spot with a bi/tri colour stone.

It's a fun stone! I think you're aware of its limitations (cut, clarity, chips). So with that said, the color is positively ethereal!! I love that glowy lavender base with vivid pink and peach flashes. I hope you love it!

That's her current ring (not the new stone), but I understand your point.
Thanks Autumn! Yes, the seller most definitely made an effort to point out that it's a local cut that could do with a good polish. I wouldn't be able to afford a precision cut and high clarity stone in this colour, so I am pretty happy with it. I also want to set it in a more organic setting, so it should work in my favour. I'll see if my jeweler is happy to do a quick polish of the stone, just to get rid of the surface abrasions.

missyc

Rough_Rock
I asked the vendor to take some photos of the stone surface because I wanted to see the inclusions better. Definitely needs a surface repolish, I reckon!

Screenshot_20240403_121057_Etsy.jpg

Screenshot_20240403_121104_Etsy.jpg

missyc

Rough_Rock
Also requested some videos. I love how the stone looks in both lighting. I work from home and my desk is right next to a window, so I'm pretty happy with the colour :kiss2:
I'm just hoping it'll be the same when I see the stone in person.

Direct sunlight:

Indirect sunlight:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks lovely. How are you going to set it?
Just prong set like your other ring?
That’s not a black inclusion, as such, in your first sapphire. It’s actually colour zoning of a tad of blue.
The Mong Hsu rubies out of Burma often have a blue spot in them so they heat the rubies to remove it. As a person fascinated by gemstone creation it’s actually pretty amazing that a small amount of iron or titanium was present as the crystal formed to give the wee blue spot.
So don’t be too hard on your first sapphire, it’s more special than you think!

missyc

Rough_Rock
Looks lovely. How are you going to set it?
Just prong set like your other ring?
That’s not a black inclusion, as such, in your first sapphire. It’s actually colour zoning of a tad of blue.
The Mong Hsu rubies out of Burma often have a blue spot in them so they heat the rubies to remove it. As a person fascinated by gemstone creation it’s actually pretty amazing that a small amount of iron or titanium was present as the crystal formed to give the wee blue spot.
So don’t be too hard on your first sapphire, it’s more special than you think!

How interesting! It really looks black to me, so it's cool to know that it's actually blue. I know inclusions are pretty special, but I am so easily influenced by the "PS standard". I guess it's a good reminder that no one and nothing can be perfect :cool2:

I am leaning towards a bezel setting this time round! I want something different from my current ring. Haven't decided on a design yet. I want to see and love the stone first.

What personality!
wow1.gif
Enjoy!!

missyc

Rough_Rock
What personality!
wow1.gif
Enjoy!!
Thanks @Autumn in New England! It has a lot more orange sparkles than my current stone, which I am loving.

Just got back from my jeweler's and he is happy with the stone. From what he could tell, it is natural corundum. He said he couldn't see any cracks - just the inclusions. It will only affect the stability of the stone just like any other included stone, so he doesn't think there are any issues setting it. I've also chosen a bezel setting (CAD to come in a couple of weeks!), so that will definitely help protect the stone too.

I'm so excited :bigsmile:

Thanks @Autumn in New England! It has a lot more orange sparkles than my current stone, which I am loving.

Just got back from my jeweler's and he is happy with the stone. From what he could tell, it is natural corundum. He said he couldn't see any cracks - just the inclusions. It will only affect the stability of the stone just like any other included stone, so he doesn't think there are any issues setting it. I've also chosen a bezel setting (CAD to come in a couple of weeks!), so that will definitely help protect the stone too.

I'm so excited :bigsmile:

Yay! You're making me excited and I didn't even get anything!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results