shape
carat
color
clarity

Unheated Ruby for $350?!

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have nothing to do with this vendor or listing...but, with all the ruby talk I've been window-shopping...this is an Ebay listing, and the stone is regrettably a pear shape...but it has an AIGS cert...I mean, are these type of stones out there? Untreated Rubies for under $500/ct?? If you look at the listing, the video of the stone looks amazing. I am not even considering purchasing the stone, but I thought someone may either be interested, or it would be something we could discuss....

The stats: .88cts, Pear shape, 6.27x5.44x3.09..AIGS cert states Natural Ruby with no indication of heating.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIGS-Certified-Unheated-0-88ct-Pear-100-Natural-Gem-Red-Ruby-MOZAMBIQUE?item=220918364172&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8343294463899788408

RB492-012-004-1.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only advice is to check out the seller's name on this forum.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Not a surprise. It is Ebay after all. It's full of gems that look too good to be true. No offense to those that find great deals on Ebay. I know they can be found. But let's face it there are thousands of suspect listings to be found there.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yeah, I know..tons of fakes...Ebay is a scary place. But still...if this is a stone that was certed by AIGS...I guess any vendor can do any number of things they want...but I just wasn't aware that you could find an unheated Ruby for this price, with a guaranteed cert. I myself am staying pretty far away from this stone/vendor, but still. I wonder if some of the great "deals" that some of the members have gotten, have come from taking a chance on something like this...

Im just too scared...lol While $350 isn't much for a Ruby, it is a lot of money for someone like me to take a chance on something that could be a fissure-filled mess!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Yeah your probably right that some great deals were from taking risks.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Videos can and are doctored - believe it or not.

Don't forget, natural rubies can be dark and horrible.

I'm not saying this is but .................. as I said, search for this vendor's name.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 main things:
1. I am very sure the colour of the ruby in the still picture has been manipulated
2. I am quite sure the colour of the ruby in the video is also manipulated
3. I am also very sure the ruby has a gaping window

Why? As LD mentioned, check out reviews of the vendor and you'll understand points #1 and #2. The window is based on my depth calculation of around 52% which is shallow, and if you look closely at the picture, you can spot it too. The colour has been darkened to make the window less obvious.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I see that the stone is scratched or there is a surface reaching inclusion at about 1 o'clock.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chris: it is a great question you ask and you have heard from some of the seasoned vets here who've provided good feedback. If I could go back in time, I would've slowed down and asked more questions before jumping in and buying. I agree with LD - use the search function above and see what you get. I bought from them and was shocked at the difference between the photos/videos and the actual stones. Now that I have learned to take photos of my gem babies (thanks TL, Ooh-Shiney, Kenny, and VL), I have learned how easy it is to manipulate photos - if that's what you want to do. Some vendors on ebay bank on the fact that either the buyer doesn't know much about gems and won't notice; or for lesser priced stones, won't bother to take the time and incur the expense of returning the stone for a refund.

Frankly, I don't know how they stay in business, but they certainly do. That said, there are folks here that have bought from them, been disappointed, contacted them and been sent a replacement gem of much higher quality and more representative of the photos/videos. They, like all vendors, rely on positive feedback and will do what it takes to get it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results