shape
carat
color
clarity

unheated blue zircon?

christiekpearson

Rough_Rock
I stumbled across this beautiful necklace on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/201322084385 They're claiming that the blue zircon is unheated - is that possible? Is there any way to verify? I was under the impression that all blue zircons are heated.

How much is a good deal for the necklace? I'm very new to colored stones and I know prices tend to go up last minute on ebay.

Thank you!!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Christie might be a good idea to ask the moderators to move your thread to coloured stones. This page doesn't get much action! You can do this by clicking the report concern button.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a look at the report:
go to GIA.edu and type in

Here's the other page of the report:
Color origin cannot currently be determined
Many gemstones are routinely treated by different methods to improve the color or appearance. In some cases, treatments like heating and irradiation cannot be detected.

Heat Treatment
A wide range of gem materials may be subjected to low temperature heat treatment to improve or change the color of the stone. It is also possible for this heating process to occur naturally when the gemstone is in the earth. To determine if the heating was done by man (as a treatment) vs. heating by nature may be difficult if not impossible.

Blue zircons fall into this type of heat treating. Blue zircons come out of the ground brown. I'm not going to say you will never find a natural blue, but its also a very rare case.

Here's another very informative article
http://www.jckonline.com/2003/11/01/cambodian-blue-zircon

IMO, yes you get a report from GIA, but it doesn't tell you anything about the stone itself, just that its a real zircon. So basically you're paying for the setting, the diamonds, and the assurance you got a real zircon.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Extremely unlikely for it to be unheated and I don't think the labs can differentiate natural heating versus man-heated.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results