shape
carat
color
clarity

unhappy about the way a side stone was fixed...opinions?

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
I posted this one Rocky Talk too, but wanted all the opinions I can get :)

I took my ring in to the place I purchased it(I won't name names, *cough* a chain jeweler *cough*), to be inspected for the extended warranty plan. When I took it in they told me one of my side stones was loose. I picked it up today, and of course, under their make-your-ring-look-new-again lights, everything looked fine. I took it home and took a closer look at it, and discovered how they have "tightened" the side stone, is to lower it in to the setting farther. This would be fine, had they 1) explained to me that is what they were going to do, and 2) LOWERED THE STONE NEXT TO IT!!! So I now have two side stones on the same side, that are at different depths. Granted it is not noticeable unless you really look at it, but, given that lowering the stone also changed the angle, they now both catch the light different, which to me, makes it very noticeable.

Am I over-reacting?? I've had problems with them before when I take it in once a year or so to have rhodium reapplied where they have totally ignored scratches instead of buffing them out.
At the very least, shouldn't they have explained to me that to secure the stone, they would have to sink it deeper in to the setting? and then give me the option of having the same done to the one next to it???

Thoughts?

On my hand from the side
croped_side.jpg

In box from the side
cropped_box.jpg

On my hand from the top...this is where I notice they now catch light differently...
cropped_top.jpg

For reference, this is an old picture where both side stones are equal height.
1130.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, it is not acceptable. Take it back and tell them you want it redone.

DC519

Rough_Rock
Yep, back to the store it goes. I would be very firm with them and ask them for their Design/Repair (whoever does all the custom work) manager (if they are a chain, from my understanding, there is a manager who does the top work, and then people under him or her--I could be totally wrong, but that is how I believe it was years ago) and ask for the best person available to fix it. Make sure to convey you will not settle for less (which you shouldn't)

You're not being overly picky--this is not just a piece of fun jewelry, this is jewelry with emotional meaning. A stone can be tightened without being lowered.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both! The more I look at it, the more absolutely furious I get. And you're right DC519, it should be able to be tightened without being lowered and that's now that I will expect to be done, I want it put back where it belongs. The way it sits now it absolutely does not shine at all, it is to deep and all the light is blocked by the band of the ring. Probably because the angle is now wrong, and it's basically crooked...ugh. I'm so mad. Why do these stores think they can basically make a design change without consulting the owner??? :wall:

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
A little update...After talking to the lovely people over on "Rocky Talky" I came to realize that this is a bigger problem than I thought. The ring is now damaged and the channel wall on that side needs to be rebuilt in order to properly re-seat the stone to match its partner...My husband and I took it back to the stone on the 8th, and they said that is exactly what needs to be done and it would take about a week...

Well I will now be getting a "new" setting. I am so upset. We went to "pick up" my ring last evening and the two side diamonds on one side are still noticeably uneven. I was able to see it at just a glance, confirmed by my fingernail and then confirmed by the sales associate under the microscope :snooty: ...she first tried to say it is hard to keep rings in "perfect" condition over the years :hand: . I quickly pointed out that besides a loose stone, it was "perfect" when I brought it in. What caused the issue was their attempt to "fix" the loose stone by forcing it in to the channel and causing the need to have the channel repaired and the stone reset, which they clearly didn't do properly. I basically said I am not willing to accept the setting back in any condition but the one I brought it for it's inspection in. She said she was going to personally talk to the jeweler tomorrow and would give us a call by the end of the day with an update. We left, pretty irritated that the "jewelery" store can't fix their own jewelery...

On the ride home my phone rang. It was the lady that had helped us. She said she had talked to the general manager about the situation and she had gone ahead and ordered a new setting, and that I can come pick up my setting to wear while we wait for the new one to come it...

I think this is the best solution considering they have messed up my setting to the extent, but I can't help but be incredibly sad that the ring my husband proposed to me with is basically being replaced with a look-a-like. :(sad I know I could take the ring back in the condition it is in, but since I'm not the one that caused the problem...I don't really think that is a good idea. If I had been the one to damage it, I may have considered that...but since this is all their fault, I think the "new' setting is the way we are going to go.

I really am just so sad. ;(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results