shape
carat
color
clarity

Unexpected Visitor this Morning

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This handsome little 'fella' (I think it's a male; haven't been able to inspect too closely yet) caused quite a raucous at my house this morning, in that he was chilling on my front porch, and my dogs were eager to meet a new furry friend!

He has no collar, and I know he doesn't belong to any of my neighbors, so I took some food & water out to him to keep him close while I posted his picture on our local 'Lost & Found Pets' FB page, the NextDoor app for my neighborhood, etc. He is so friendly, loveable, cuddly, etc., so I brought him inside to my spare bathroom to keep him safe and warm (but segregated from my pets) in the mean time.

I also called Animal Control because they do come out and scan for a chip if they are available/not busy. The AC gentleman was just here, and the cat DOES have a chip (and I learned his name is 'Hocus Pocus'). AC guy tried calling the registered owner's tel #; however, it appears the owner hasn't updated their information with the chip company as the number was no good. He also drove to the last known/provided address and left a note on the door, but that address is in 'transient' housing (e.g. condos/apartments) and a good mile or so away from my home, so that's not looking super promising.

In the mean time, I'm calling the local veterinary clinics to see if they have him in their systems to contact the owner that way, perhaps. And I will check Craigslist to see if there is anything posted there, and perhaps try flyers if I don't hear back from anyone or find anything. I did not and will not surrender him to Animal Control, as I'd rather keep him safe for the time being while we continue to work to find his owner. He is an absolute sweetheart of a cat, super lovey-dovey, and is well-groomed for being a long-haired cat, so I have to think he belongs to & is loved by someone vs. being a stray because if he was a stray, I imagine he'd be matted and a bit 'grungy' as a long-hair.

So, aside from having an opportunity to share this handsome fella's picture with fellow furbaby lovers, let this be a PSA that - if you have a pet who is microchipped - please be sure to keep your contact info current with the chip company if you happen to move, change your telephone number, etc. I can see it being an easy thing to forget, but can make the difference in reuniting you with your furbaby as quickly as possible. :wavey:

found_cat.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is gorgeous and I LOVE the name Hocus Pocus! Nice of you to take care of him for the time being. I've taken my share of runaway dogs to the shelter to have scanned for chips and stressed out over keeping up with FB and NextDoor feedback. It can be exhausting.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's gorgeous!

Excellent note about updating address info and phone numbers!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! And a great reminder to update the microchip info. (I'm guilty. The move has been something else so it totally slipped my mind!)

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At first I thought you'd posted a photo of one of my previous cats! (Another black cat lover here) :shock:
Mine was female and didn't have the brown colour on some of the fur; she was all black except the white on the tummy.

Obviously, I think Hocus Pocus is very handsome!
You're wonderful to have taken so many steps to find his owner. And big thanks for reminding people to update microchip info. :appl:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That cat looks very well loved. Thank you for keeping him safe. hopefully will be reunited with human companion soon. Also like the name Hocus Pocus!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cutie JCJ. Nice of you to work so hard to find his owner. Hope he is found soon.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He's absolutely beautiful. God bless you for taking him in in his moment of need.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is a real sweetheart, and I hate that I have to keep him holed up in the bathroom like a prisoner, but with 2 dogs & a senior male cat, I don't want him to get frightened, so DD & I are taking turns going in periodically to show him some love.

I have covered most "digital" bases so far and called a couple local vets, but no dice. I am kind of surprised because - being a handsome fella who looks like he is frequently brushed & loved - I would think someone is eager to find him. I heard from someone on NextDoor who is about a mile & half from my home; she said she has also seen him in her yard, and she is about 3/4 mile from the address linked to his chip record.

I really hope we find his owner, but in the mean time, we will continue to cuddle the shizz out of him. :bigsmile:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correction - he/she is cuddling the shizz out of us. LOL Was just in the bathroom giving Hocus some love, and he/she decided to use my leg for a pillow. :D

We took in a few cat toys that our cat didn't play with anymore for entertainment, and made him a makeshift bed, as well bought him a litter box. Our cat doesn't use one (he is indoor/outdoor - back yard only) so had to pick one up earlier today, but he hasn't used it yet. But he is eating & drinking freely.

I also tried to examine its "him/her" parts, but really cannot tell if it's a male (that's been neutered) or female ... too much fur to see clearly, and he isn't keen on being flipped over on his back even while being held.

The phone number on the chip registry is what sounds like an automated answering voicemail, and the message is in Spanish (which I don't speak), so I don't know if the number now goes to a business or what. I left a message anyway, but haven't heard back yet. But, my heart is happier knowing that he will be safe, warm and fed tonight vs left out in the cold to fend for himself.

_6351.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE him! Someone has to be looking for this guy, he certainly doesn't look like he has been on the streets for long. Thank you for taking him in despite having a houseful yourself! Here is hoping he is reunited with his family soon.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are amazing for doing this for hocus pocus! He's very smart and knew who to seek help from!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope we find the owner soon because my DD is already greasing the "we should keep him" wheels if we don't find the owner. :lol:

She (DD) wants to take Hocus up to her room tonight to keep him company overnight vs him staying in the bathroom; she is 18 and knows not to let him out around the others, etc. I don't come across strays often to know if this is okay or not. I mean, I know to keep Hocus separate from my pets to minimize risk of potential diseases, etc., as well as a fight breaking out. Thoughts? Would it be risky ya think? He doesn't exhibit any obvious signs of anything illness/disease wise, but I'm not a vet.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Decided to let Hocus have the guest bedroom tonight, which has a door to the bathroom where the food, water and litter box are. S/He seems happy with the accommodations. :lol:

Any ideas what breed Hocus might be? I am thinking either domestic long hair, Persian or main coon (because of the longer-haired collar that is more charcoal grey than black). Just want to make sure my postings are as descriptive as possible.

_6352.jpeg

_6353.jpeg

Q

Queenie60

He's darling! Thank you for taking him in. Looks like he found the right door!!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like you guys have a new kitty!
Cats have a way of picking their people......

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1481744338|4107248 said:
He's gorgeous! His fur is so pretty.

Yes! :appl:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1481744338|4107248 said:
He's gorgeous! His fur is so pretty.

Yes! :appl:

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poor little thing! I do hope you find his owners soon! But at least he is safe for now! You are an angel for taking such good care of him!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He doesn't look starved, I wonder if the owners have gone away and have someone or a neighbour who is supposed to be feeding him and that is why he wandered off, it often happens around Christmas time, but it's wonderful of you to take him in!!!! He looks like a Persian or part Persian.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1481792110|4107424 said:
He doesn't look starved, I wonder if the owners have gone away and have someone or a neighbour who is supposed to be feeding him and that is why he wandered off, it often happens around Christmas time, but it's wonderful of you to take him in!!!! He looks like a Persian or part Persian.

That is a scenario that has crossed my mind, Arkie. He is definitely a cared-for cat by whomever owns him.

I am a little concerned though that he has yet to do anything in the litter box. He has been inside now since 10:30 yesterday morning, and eating & drinking regularly. I would have thought he would have 'copped a squat' by now. :???: I physically put him in the litter box a couple times so he would know it's there, but I just checked on him and the box when I got up, and nothing. I wonder if he is like my cat, and prefers to do his business outside. Maybe I will wait till its light out, and take him out front to see if he does something there. I don't think he will take off because he seems happy to have a warm place and is very loving toward me, for a 'stranger'.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just brushed him a bit, and as a size reference, that brush is about 10" long. Hocus has a long body! And a couple extra pics because he is just so regal & magestic looking. :D

Pics taken with iPad so they're doing that rotate thing.

_6356.jpeg

_6357.jpeg

_6358.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very handsome cat and looks very healthy! I hope his/her owners will be able to get in touch with you soon, but it looks very happy and comfortable with you. :lol:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1481809752|4107452 said:
Very handsome cat and looks very healthy! I hope his/her owners will be able to get in touch with you soon, but it looks very happy and comfortable with you. :lol:

Me too; I know how I would feel if my cat was missing!

In the mean time ... yes, seems quite comfy here! LOL

20161215_093516.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very Maine Cooncat type! :love: on color I'm so biased considering I have a black dog :) black is beautiful :love:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
such a handsome cat! Makes ME want to adopt him! (have no idea if boy just seems like one).

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone entertained the possibility he was left behind on purpose.

Maybe someone who could no longer care for him?

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Oh, what a beautiful cat! As the owner of 2 maine coons I'd have to say that he/she (looks more like a he to me) is at least part maine coon. I'm so glad you are caring for him but it is concerning that it doesn't appear as if anyone is looking for him... :(sad

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a handsome kitty! Hope his people are found!

JoCoJenn|1481762439|4107342 said:
I hope we find the owner soon because my DD is already greasing the "we should keep him" wheels if we don't find the owner. :lol:

lol well of course!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a beautiful baby!

You know you just adopted a new cat, right??

:twisted: :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results