shape
carat
color
clarity

Unexpected ring shopping feelings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, so I''m not sure what came over me today since I''ve ALWAYS chickened out about ring shopping by myself. Here''s the story...

I was meeting a friend for lunch and found myself early with some time to kill. It just so happened there was a jewelry store in the area.
2.gif
So, I somehow found the courage to walk in and tell them I wanted to look at Erings. Before I knew what was happening I was trying on all sorts of settings AND FINALLY got to check out how different carat sizes look on my finger. The SA was really friendly...and naturally agreed with everything I thought! LOL If I didn''t like something, she didn''t like it, and vice versa. LOL Anyway, it was pretty fun and I found out that I love halos on my hand as much as in pictures on a screen. BUT, it just wasn''t nearly as much fun as I thought it was going to be! Am I the only one to come home less than thrilled about the prospect of an Ering after finally trying some on? I don''t know...it''s weird...I''m not really excited about the ring anymore. Maybe my expectations were too high about what these things actually look like in person and on my finger? Or, do you think maybe the quality is just THAT poor at the B&M I went to? (I''m hoping for the latter!) Maybe it''s because in reality I won''t actually be getting one for a year or more?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Those feelings will change when you''re with your SO, looking for your ring...window shopping is never as much fun as the real thing!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
well,. here at PS, B&M stores have a lot to try compair too
9.gif
. I was actually not so happy the first time i did, only beucase i saw all the prices, and i knew E wasnt there yet.

When i went with a friend (very close friend) i was more excited. i was the most excited with E though.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
It could be either, really
1.gif
I didn't feel that way after window shopping, myself... maybe you're disenchanted with the idea of a traditional ering, and want something different?

Or maybe it's just not as exciting because it's not looking for YOUR ring, as opposed to just looking at rings in general!

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
For me it was more about the experience with my SO than the rings. Maybe you''d feel differently if you went shopping with him?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 7:28:29 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Those feelings will change when you're with your SO, looking for your ring...window shopping is never as much fun as the real thing!
mmhmm..... he took me ring shopping (looking for fun not actually buying
15.gif
) as part of my birthday present and it was so much fun!

I've completely changed my mind but I can't wait till we go actually pick out the real thing!

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 7:44:37 PM
Author: SailorsSweet<3
For me it was more about the experience with my SO than the rings. Maybe you''d feel differently if you went shopping with him?
Okay, so I''m really hoping this is the case! It''s gotta be...LOL

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 7:49:13 PM
Author: ckrickett

Those feelings will change when you''re with your SO, looking for your ring...window shopping is never as much fun as the real thing!
mmhmm..... he took me ring shopping (looking for fun not actually buying
15.gif
) as part of my birthday present and it was so much fun!

I''ve completely changed my mind but I can''t wait till we go actually pick out the real thing!
What a way to get out of buying a bday gift!!! Man, if only MY SO realized how cheap my present could have been...LOL!

I''m glad you had fun! Oh, and I do realize you said it was just "part" of your present! (I bet it could have been your entire present though! At least, it would have worked for me! My birthday was right before V-day.)

SailorsSweet<3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 7:56:43 PM
Author: Still_Waiting

It is! Seeing how my SO was smiling because of how giddy I''d gotten - the way he put in his opinion and we both talked about what we liked about some rings and disliked about others - the way he didnt like some rings I liked and vise versa!! It was all part of the experience. Ring shopping alone would''ve been different for me on so many levels and I"m sure thats what youre experiencing.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock

Same here! As much as I like dropping in to the Tiffany store near where I work, it''s just not nearly as fun as looking around with him.

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 8:10:23 PM
Author: SailorsSweet
Date: 2/25/2009 7:56:43 PM
Author: Still_Waiting

It is! Seeing how my SO was smiling because of how giddy I''d gotten - the way he put in his opinion and we both talked about what we liked about some rings and disliked about others - the way he didnt like some rings I liked and vise versa!! It was all part of the experience. Ring shopping alone would''ve been different for me on so many levels and I''m sure thats what youre experiencing.

Thank you for your reassurance! I do feel a bit better now!

nail_polish

Shiny_Rock

I never went alone.. but unlike most of the replies, I was a bit disappointed even looking with my boyfriend the couple times we went.

I guess I was expecting all the rings to be mind-blowing and for it to be an easy "OH-MY-GOSH-THIS-IS-THE-ONE!" decision... But it wasn''t! At all!

Instead, I was disappointed with the way the rings I went out to see specifically were not as nice as they looked online. As well, I found when we left I was incredibly stressed because I didn''t see anything that could be *the one*.

Choosing an engagement ring to me instantly felt like a stress-fest - SO MANY RINGS. SO MANY CHOICES. HOW TO PICK THE RIGHT ONE! AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Yet... I think this may be because I didn''t want to be part of the picking process.. I wanted my boyfriend to find and choose the perfect one for me...

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 9:06:45 PM
Author: nail_polish

I never went alone.. but unlike most of the replies, I was a bit disappointed even looking with my boyfriend the couple times we went.

I guess I was expecting all the rings to be mind-blowing and for it to be an easy ''OH-MY-GOSH-THIS-IS-THE-ONE!'' decision... But it wasn''t! At all!

Instead, I was disappointed with the way the rings I went out to see specifically were not as nice as they looked online. As well, I found when we left I was incredibly stressed because I didn''t see anything that could be *the one*.

Choosing an engagement ring to me instantly felt like a stress-fest - SO MANY RINGS. SO MANY CHOICES. HOW TO PICK THE RIGHT ONE! AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Yet... I think this may be because I didn''t want to be part of the picking process.. I wanted my boyfriend to find and choose the perfect one for me...

It''s funny you should say that because I''m 30 years old and just started looking at erings and diamonds 6 months ago for the first time. I suppose the reason I''d never even looked (barely even looked at my friends'' rings!) is that I was afraid I''d be completely overwhelmed. When we first started talking about getting engaged I just told him I''d always been a fan of the classic 6-prong solitaire-which I am-but then when it became clear that we wouldn''t be buying a ring right away, I decided to see what was out there. Boy, did I open a world of opportunity! LOL I''m not concerned that I won''t find one I''ll love, but I was REALLY disappointed in what I saw at that store today. They seemed to have hundreds of styles, but, like you said, they just didn''t look as nice as what I''d seen online or what I''d expected. I''m REALLY hoping that the PS vendors'' quality really is THAT much better! I''m counting on them! LOL
31.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone else. We''ve been looking for about a month, and I only found two rings that I absolutely loved. Two, out of the 100+ I''ve tried on. I haven''t looked alone, but I love having him there to tell me why he doesn''t like one, or why he likes the other one. It is very stressful, because like others, I thought it would just be like "Wow, that one" but it''s no where close to this!!!
If ring shopping is this stressful (but really fun!), I can only imagine how the wedding planning will be!!!

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I had the same feelings when we went to look at rings
Except it was more like...the ring wasn''t so special as it was more the aspect of getting married to fi that I got excited about does that make sense? It didn''t really sink in until we went looking at rings, before that it was just oooh pretty rings on the internet. Then the next day it was I''m in the store looking at rings with C - we''re going to be together forevvvvvvvver :)

tlh

Ideal_Rock
BIG DITTO!

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, ladies!!! I feel better now!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results