shape
carat
color
clarity

Uncut Emerald Pricing from Afghanistan

kps1994

Rough_Rock
I am new to asking questions on this forum, but I have found it to be a good resource with some good insights. The long and short of the story is that I have stumbled across a source of uncut emeralds from Afghanistan. I am not a professional dealer or involved in the stone trade, but I dabble as a hobby. The source of the stones is impeccable. My question is, is it worth my time to fly to Delhi to view these stones? Based on the pics, what sort of price should these stones be going for per carat? I know that is a hard question, but any input would be great.

img_10365.jpg

img_10366.jpg

img_10367.jpg

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
kps1994|1451880668|3970233 said:
I am not a professional dealer or involved in the stone trade, but I dabble as a hobby. The source of the stones is impeccable.
How much are you willing to lose? I ask this because there are NO "impeccable" sources, only knowledgeable buyers with the tools and ability to use them, to assure themselves that they are buying what it looks like they are buying. If you dabble, are you serious enough to have the tools and knowledge to do this? Do you intend to resell these? Do you already have some buyers who buy this sort of thing? If not, you'd better find some before hand, because selling rough gems at a profit can be VERY challenging.

My question is, is it worth my time to fly to Delhi to view these stones? Based on the pics, what sort of price should these stones be going for per carat? I know that is a hard question, but any input would be great.
Yes, it's always worth going to have a look if you know what you're looking at. Your second question implies that you don't know what you're looking at and so I would advise keeping your money in an interest bearing account or gaining enough of an education about this sort of thing to pose a smaller risk to your financial well being, (like going to the GIA and getting a GG and then finding someone who knows the ropes and going on buying trips with them for a while).

I remember one vendor on here who said that he had a sure fire way to make a million dollars in the gem buying trade....that was to start with three million. There are lots of ways to lose your shirt doing this sort of thing, be careful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael has brought up very important points:

1. Do you know how to shop for rough (good shapes, good transparency and clarity for the best yield)? Do you know that a 5 ct piece could end up anywhere from 1 ct to 2 ct after it is faceted?

2. Do you know how to verify that these are emeralds and not synthetic or simulants? Sometimes, fakes or simulants are mixed in with the parcel.

3. Do you have a lapidary or cutting house lined up? Do you have buyers lined up? Do you know how to market and sell these?

If you don't know how to evaluate rough, it is best not to dabble in this. There is no room for error and plenty of room to be burned.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That you are asking this question of a consumer forum is the first tip off that maybe you shouldn't get involved in this.

You realize that most people on this forum are consumers. THey buy cut stones and finished Jewelery. Pricescope is a fantastic place to ask questions about sources for cut stones, jewelry designers etc. but not the place to ask about large investments in rough stones.

kps1994

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for their input. I will leave this deal to the experts in Delhi.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results