Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamonds?

leecube

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 20, 2011
Messages
28
Hi experts, I'm new to diamonds and just recently learn that there are actually different facet structures even within the same cut type - Cushions. I'm currently looking for a yellow diamond, and have came across with a facet plot that I don't commonly see (Plot#1). I still don't quite know how to interpret a facet plot yet, so any help would be appreciated.

Plot#1 - What are the effects of this structure? Does this yield less fire/brilliance when viewed from the top because the edges are not as faceted? How come I don't see more of this? Is this structure only used in color diamonds? Because I've seen quite a few of these on reputable fancy color diamond sites like DiamondsByLauren and Leibish.

----Does anyone have a diamond with this plot? If so, please very kindly chime in or show pictures of your stone. Thank you!

Plot#2 - This is the facet that I see most often used in modified brilliant cushions. How does this compare to Plot#1?

In terms of price, if all other factors being equal, does different facet structure plots command different prices?? For example, is it safe to say a Cushion Brilliant or Square H&A (which is considered a cushion, right?) is always MORE expensive than say, Plot#1 & Plot#2? If it is, then may I ask why Cushion Brilliant is considered to be superior??

THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance! (PSer are so great!)

IMG_2023.JPG

IMG_2024.JPG
 

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
4,978
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

leecube|1312791596|2986303 said:
Hi experts, I'm new to diamonds and just recently learn that there are actually different facet structures even within the same cut type - Cushions. I'm currently looking for a yellow diamond, and have came across with a facet plot that I don't commonly see (Plot#1). I still don't quite know how to interpret a facet plot yet, so any help would be appreciated.

Plot#1 - What are the effects of this structure? Does this yield less fire/brilliance when viewed from the top because the edges are not as faceted? How come I don't see more of this? Is this structure only used in color diamonds? Because I've seen quite a few of these on reputable fancy color diamond sites like DiamondsByLauren and Leibish.

----Does anyone have a diamond with this plot? If so, please very kindly chime in or show pictures of your stone. Thank you!

Plot#2 - This is the facet that I see most often used in modified brilliant cushions. How does this compare to Plot#1?

In terms of price, if all other factors being equal, does different facet structure plots command different prices?? For example, is it safe to say a Cushion Brilliant or Square H&A (which is considered a cushion, right?) is always MORE expensive than say, Plot#1 & Plot#2? If it is, then may I ask why Cushion Brilliant is considered to be superior??

THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance! (PSer are so great!)
Hi, facet design plots only show the design. the Diamond's light/color behavior depends on the facet design and the angles it incorporates.
When cutting colored Diamonds there are a lot of parameters cutters must take into account (unless the color strength is genuinely present and a standard colorless cut will compliment the color). One important factor is the thickness of the cut especially around the girdle area where color is accumulated.
Obviously when one cuts a colored Diamond to standard colorless parameters (eg Cushion Brilliant), if the rough material does not possess true body color a cutter will prefer the modified options for face-up color enhancement.
 

NARRISHKEIT

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 20, 2011
Messages
98
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

leecube|1312791596|2986303 said:
Hi experts, I'm new to diamonds and just recently learn that there are actually different facet structures even within the same cut type - Cushions. I'm currently looking for a yellow diamond, and have came across with a facet plot that I don't commonly see (Plot#1). I still don't quite know how to interpret a facet plot yet, so any help would be appreciated.
Plot#1 - What are the effects of this structure? Primarily to save weight and to increase the light path to improve color saturation. Both effects capture more profit from the rough for the cutter.

How come I don't see more of this? Is this structure only used in color diamonds?
Mostly in colored diamonds as saving weight and saturated color are the most important. Optimizing for those to means that brilliance and fire are not the top priority.

In terms of price, if all other factors being equal, does different facet structure plots command different prices??
Yes they do but its much more complicated than that. Dealer margin, intensity of color, color grade are much more important to pricing of colored diamonds.

For example, is it safe to say a Cushion Brilliant or Square H&A (which is considered a cushion, right?) is always MORE expensive than say, Plot#1 & Plot#2?

Modified designs often allow the cutter to save weight over normal brilliants where the pavilion facets span from culet to girdle.
Your general statement is not always true though as color saturation takes priority and one design may yield a higher color grade which is more important than weight saving.


If it is, then may I ask why Cushion Brilliant is considered to be superior??

The design which may be best to enhance brilliance and fire (like Cushion Brilliant) in colorless diamonds will wash out the color and provide less than optimal uniformity to color saturation in a yellow diamond especially in the case of rough which has a lighter body color. For this reason you will rarely see lighter yellow colored rough cut into rounds or cushion brilliants as the shorter light paths and strong white light return will wash out the color..
 

leecube

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 20, 2011
Messages
28
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

Thanks for your replies!

DiaGem mentioned that the girdle thickness is important with color diamonds. Can I ask why one would need to pay special attention to that particular part? The diamond I've been looking at has an "slightly thick to extremely thick (faceted)" girdle. Does that say anything at all?

The stones that I've seen with Plot#1 actually has a much deeper color than stone in Plot#2. However, I noticed that Plot#2 gives off larger fire (due to larger facets?), and also has more sparkles (sorry...I don't know what the official term is, brilliance?).

I wonder if it is because the edges of Plot#1 basically has "nothing going on", that is why it is losing some of the sparkles and wonderful colors of fire...characteristics that I expected from diamonds.

----Does anyone actually have a stone with Plot#1?? I would love to see how it differs from other modified cushions. Thanks!!
 

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
8,404
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

Hi Leecube!

When it comes to experts on this subject, Diagem is got to be one of most knowledgeable, from the viewpoint of a cutter.
As a dealer, here's my take:
1) GIA is not exactly spot on with facet plots matching the actual diamond- that is to say, sometimes the actual facet pattern on the diamond does not match the plot on the GIA report.
2) There are really no workable "rules".
For example, it stands to reason that a stone would need to be fairly deep to achieve the grade of Fancy Vivid Yellow.
But I've seen them quite shallow.
Cushion Brilliant is extremely rare in fancy colored- or even light fancy colored diamonds.
As a vendor I'm not allowed to post photos our stones on our site- but I'll see if I can find some older shots of stones we no longer have for sale to correlate plot and diamond for you.

NARRISHKEIT- those are interesting viewpoints. Just curious, but how would you be familiar with every cutter's motivations- specifically regarding selecting facet patterns?
Of course profitability is key, in any business. Remember, a beautiful stone of a given grade will sell for a lot more than an ugly one. Therefore assigning the (devious sounding) incentives of weight savings and color retention to all a cutter's actions is arbitrary, unfair, and untrue.
 

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
4,978
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

leecube|1312822735|2986524 said:
Thanks for your replies!

DiaGem mentioned that the girdle thickness is important with color diamonds. Can I ask why one would need to pay special attention to that particular part? The diamond I've been looking at has an "slightly thick to extremely thick (faceted)" girdle. Does that say anything at all?

The stones that I've seen with Plot#1 actually has a much deeper color than stone in Plot#2. However, I noticed that Plot#2 gives off larger fire (due to larger facets?), and also has more sparkles (sorry...I don't know what the official term is, brilliance?).

I wonder if it is because the edges of Plot#1 basically has "nothing going on", that is why it is losing some of the sparkles and wonderful colors of fire...characteristics that I expected from diamonds.

----Does anyone actually have a stone with Plot#1?? I would love to see how it differs from other modified cushions. Thanks!!
"One important factor is the thickness of the cut especially around the girdle area where color is accumulated."
 

leecube

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 20, 2011
Messages
28
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

Rockadiamond, thanks always for your replies. I have NO idea that GIA's diagram can be different than the actual diamond's facet structure! If that's the case, then how would someone with an untrained eye be able to judge/grade/compare stones with different facet structureS?

I would really LOVE to see what Plot#1 will look like. Mainly, I want to see if this Plot#1 structure means an inferior cut, because it is so not commonly used. I would much appreciate pictures if you can find them.

Sorry DiaGem...I know you highlighted the word "area"...but I'm completely dumb founded when it comes to diamonds. Did I misinterpreted you? I still don't understand why the "thickness of the cut especially around the girdle area where color is accumulated" is important. Do you mind very kindly elaborate on it?

Many many thanks!
 

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
8,404
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

You're very welcome Leecube!!

leecube said:
Rockadiamond, thanks always for your replies. I have NO idea that GIA's diagram can be different than the actual diamond's facet structure! If that's the case, then how would someone with an untrained eye be able to judge/grade/compare stones with different facet structureS?

I would really LOVE to see what Plot#1 will look like. Mainly, I want to see if this Plot#1 structure means an inferior cut, because it is so not commonly used. I would much appreciate pictures if you can find them.

Sorry DiaGem...I know you highlighted the word "area"...but I'm completely dumb founded when it comes to diamonds. Did I misinterpreted you? I still don't understand why the "thickness of the cut especially around the girdle area where color is accumulated" is important. Do you mind very kindly elaborate on it?

Many many thanks!
Actually, even if one has a well trained eye, the plot - and other stats on the GIA report won't answer the most important questions about cut
 

leecube

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 20, 2011
Messages
28
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

Ok, so can I ask, is there a way to evaluate a cut then? I thought one would be able to look at the plot and determine whether that is a well cut stone or not. For example, in my case, does Plot#1 means it is an inferior cut because it doesn't have any facet patterns on the edges of the stone?
 

NARRISHKEIT

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 20, 2011
Messages
98
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

leecube said:
Ok, so can I ask, is there a way to evaluate a cut then? I thought one would be able to look at the plot and determine whether that is a well cut stone or not. For example, in my case, does Plot#1 means it is an inferior cut because it doesn't have any facet patterns on the edges of the stone?
I've never seen a great stone with that facet design. Girdles are often thick or the extra row of UGF or LGFs act similar to a thick girdle.
Brilliance is impacted. It can help with color uniformity for lighter tone body colors but the tradeoff in brilliance is just not worth it IMO.

In colorless stones that crown and pavilion design is amongst the cheapest per carat(same color and clarity). I've seen many sitting around as they aren't the most brilliant.

But really if you want a yellow diamond you really should be shopping in B&Ms and seeing as many stones as you can in person. Educate your eyes before you even attempt to look on the internet. Its near impossible to judge color from a photograph or video and you really should determine how saturated a yellow you want first that will primarily dictate price.
 

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
8,404
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

leecube said:
Ok, so can I ask, is there a way to evaluate a cut then? I thought one would be able to look at the plot and determine whether that is a well cut stone or not. For example, in my case, does Plot#1 means it is an inferior cut because it doesn't have any facet patterns on the edges of the stone?

If there was a simple answer to this question, I'd be out of a job:)
Seriously, there really is no simple answer.
I look for things like overall brilliance- transmission of color- and attractive shape.



Here's an example, from a few years back. It had the facet pattern number one.
At the time, I did not call this a very well cut diamond. I did, however, call it an attractive diamond. It was actually very pretty in person. Although I did not feel the cut was "excellent", it was not "poorly cut".

plot1dbl.jpg
skirtcert.jpg

You have to do an assessment.... there are certainly stones that have attributes that make them worth purchasing- sometimes if the price is right. For example, a slightly heavy cut Natural Light Yellow diamond that weighs 3.00cts.
An argument could be made that greed drove the cutter to achieve that 3cts- they should have cut a more svelte 2.75ct.
But sometimes that slightly deeper stone has a lovely color and sparkle- and it (hopefully) is priced well below a more spready stone of similar color.
What this does is give someone the opportunity to own a 3 ct.
For some people, they want "best cut"- for others, it's a carat size barrier they've dreamed of which looks good and is affordable.

I could see how someone could feel that plot number one automatically produces a bad stone, if they've not seen good examples.
However once you've seen a lot of stones, you realize that the personality of the polished diamond varies- this is far more true than with rounds, for example. Sometimes a thick girdle is not a problem.
Sometimes it is.
I have seen really badly cut stones with facet pattern number one
I have seen incredibly well cut stones with facet pattern number one.



I agree that you should see some stones in person, if at all possible- however I know it's not all that easy to see a wide selection in most retail jewelry stores.
Hopefully you can see some live, and hopefully see some nice examples.

Also- I can't overstate how important the setting is with any diamond- but particularly natural fancy colored diamonds. With light yellow diamonds, they're more "suggestible" than deeper colors- so they're more likely to "borrow" color from a setting.
So try to look at set diamonds in these colors as well.
 

leecube

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 20, 2011
Messages
28
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

Thanks NARRISHKEIT. I have to agree with you, when I looked at these two stones, the first thing that I noticed is that the one with Plot#1 has less brilliance. It sparkles mush less than Plot#2, especially when viewed from above. Now when you move/spin it around, the difference is less noticeable. I couldn't figure out what was causing that at first, but now I understand it is because of its facet structure.

So why do cutters employ this facet design then?? When it is clear that it is a less desirable design and that it will impact brilliance?? It is used for "color uniformity"? So essentially, it is used solely to enhance a fancy color stone's color?


NARRISHKEIT|1312845805|2986788 said:
leecube said:
Ok, so can I ask, is there a way to evaluate a cut then? I thought one would be able to look at the plot and determine whether that is a well cut stone or not. For example, in my case, does Plot#1 means it is an inferior cut because it doesn't have any facet patterns on the edges of the stone?
I've never seen a great stone with that facet design. Girdles are often thick or the extra row of UGF or LGFs act similar to a thick girdle.
Brilliance is impacted. It can help with color uniformity for lighter tone body colors but the tradeoff in brilliance is just not worth it IMO.

In colorless stones that crown and pavilion design is amongst the cheapest per carat(same color and clarity). I've seen many sitting around as they aren't the most brilliant.

But really if you want a yellow diamond you really should be shopping in B&Ms and seeing as many stones as you can in person. Educate your eyes before you even attempt to look on the internet. Its near impossible to judge color from a photograph or video and you really should determine how saturated a yellow you want first that will primarily dictate price.
 

leecube

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 20, 2011
Messages
28
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

BIG THANKS to you, Rockdiamond! You are always so helpful. I am glad to learn that you've seen well cut stones with Plot#1. At first, I was going to immediately dismiss it because of its "weird"/uncommonly used facet design.

However, I can't help but feel even more confused now....so a not very well cut stone can look "attractive" and "pretty" in real life??? And stones have "personalities"? Oh man...my head is spinning now.

Ultimately, here is my dilemma, I have two stones here, they are both graded as Fancy INTENSE by GIA.

Stone ONE has Plot#1, which, everyone agrees is not an excellent cut/facet design. I noticed a lot less brilliance coming out from it. However, the color is SO MUCH MORE YELLOW than the other stone. To the point that, it is totally night and day.

I personally don't find the stone to be ugly per se, but I don't know how to judge a stone's "personality". The vendor did said he think it is "full of life"...whatever that may mean.

Stone TWO has Plot#2, which is the very common modified brilliant design. While I like that it has larger facets than Plot#1, and that it gives off much more brilliant and larger fire than Plot#1. The yellow color is much less intense/saturated.


Now what is even more confusing is that the two above has approximately the same price per carat (approx. $8,865/carat). I thought the one with Plot#1 should command a much cheaper unit price because of its lower quality cut/facet design. But in fact, Plot#1 is actually about $90 more per carat!!

-------So to all of you experts out there, would you choose Plot#1 with poorer cut & less brilliance, but more intense yellow? OR Plot#2 with more brilliant and larger fire? OR, I shouldn't have to sacrifice and wait for another stone because I'm not completely happy with either one?

Again, MANY MANY THANKS in advance!!!
 

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
8,404
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

leecube|1312866629|2987010 said:
BIG THANKS to you, Rockdiamond! You are always so helpful. I am glad to learn that you've seen well cut stones with Plot#1. At first, I was going to immediately dismiss it because of its "weird"/uncommonly used facet design.

However, I can't help but feel even more confused now....so a not very well cut stone can look "attractive" and "pretty" in real life??? And stones have "personalities"? Oh man...my head is spinning now.

Lets use an example- how do we find people attractive?
Is blond hair attractive? Sometimes. What's attractive to you may not be attractive to others.
The "craze" about having the "best cut" may be misplaced at times. The stone in the photo I posted would not be accurately described as "Fine Make" ( the best cut)- however it was by no means a poorly cut stone. There is a middle ground. I love Fancy Colored diamonds to use for this discussion, because the "middle ground" is instructive. It shows that a stone that is nicely cut- but not the "best" might be more attractive than a better cut stone, for other reasons.
Going back to my example, some people might like John Stamos. Other people might feel Brad Pit is better looking. Or others might feel their husband is even better looking- though that might not be agreed on by a majority. My point is that beauty is subjective- and very much influenced by things like personal experience. This holds true for people, and diamonds.


Ultimately, here is my dilemma, I have two stones here, they are both graded as Fancy INTENSE by GIA.

Stone ONE has Plot#1, which, everyone agrees is not an excellent cut/facet design. I noticed a lot less brilliance coming out from it. However, the color is SO MUCH MORE YELLOW than the other stone. To the point that, it is totally night and day.
Lee- I do not agree that plot #1 is not an excellent facet design- in fact, I love many stones with that specific design

I personally don't find the stone to be ugly per se, but I don't know how to judge a stone's "personality". The vendor did said he think it is "full of life"...whatever that may mean.

Stone TWO has Plot#2, which is the very common modified brilliant design. While I like that it has larger facets than Plot#1, and that it gives off much more brilliant and larger fire than Plot#1. The yellow color is much less intense/saturated.


Now what is even more confusing is that the two above has approximately the same price per carat (approx. $8,865/carat). I thought the one with Plot#1 should command a much cheaper unit price because of its lower quality cut/facet design. But in fact, Plot#1 is actually about $90 more per carat!!

-------So to all of you experts out there, would you choose Plot#1 with poorer cut & less brilliance, but more intense yellow? OR Plot#2 with more brilliant and larger fire? OR, I shouldn't have to sacrifice and wait for another stone because I'm not completely happy with either one?

Again, MANY MANY THANKS in advance!!!
You're very welcome lee!
I wish I could be of more assistance, but there is no way anyone- expert or not- can answer this question for you.
The general terms, yes. For example- to reiterate- there's nothing at all "wrong" with plot one. Nor is it "weird" -and it's a fairly common design as well.
It won't make a stone cheaper- or produce a badly cut stone- any more than another pattern would automatically produce a well cut stone.

You're going to have to go with your gut on this one.
 

NARRISHKEIT

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 20, 2011
Messages
98
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

leecube said:
Thanks NARRISHKEIT. I have to agree with you, when I looked at these two stones, the first thing that I noticed is that the one with Plot#1 has less brilliance. It sparkles mush less than Plot#2, especially when viewed from above. Now when you move/spin it around, the difference is less noticeable. I couldn't figure out what was causing that at first, but now I understand it is because of its facet structure.

So why do cutters employ this facet design then?? When it is clear that it is a less desirable design and that it will impact brilliance?? It is used for "color uniformity"? So essentially, it is used solely to enhance a fancy color stone's color?
Nope not really, its usually for weight saving but its case by case and general trends are often broken. With expensive colored rough its all about the most saturated color then the heaviest possible sellable stone. Most colored diamond shoppers aren't too picky, if the color and outline shape suit them they aren't scrutinizing every facet or worrying too much about the brightest possible stone. The rough is just so expensive you can't be a perfectionist in the colored diamond area.

Happy Hunting
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,955
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

NARRISHKEIT|1312927347|2987454 said:
leecube said:
Most colored diamond shoppers aren't too picky, if the color and outline shape suit them they aren't scrutinizing every facet or worrying too much about the brightest possible stone.
The rough is just so expensive you can't be a perfectionist in the colored diamond area.
I hear you, but the rising awareness of FCDs here on Pricescope (Diamond Cut Central) may gradually change that.

I encourage FCD shoppers to do what I do...shoot for the impossible in FCDs: good color AND cut for better light performance.
It lengthens the buyers diamond safari and it annoys FCD vendors because it renders some of their inventory to suddenly less desirable, but hopefully educated buyers may make a difference in how colored diamonds are cut in the future.

Pricescope is the only hope on this.
 

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
8,404
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

NARRISHKEIT - I ask this with all due respect- are you in the trade?
I ask because you are making seemingly definitive statements- some of which I find to be misleading.
Each of us has their own experiences, for sure- but I've been selling Fancy Colored Diamonds for many years....those non picky buyers you speak of- where are they? My experience is that a large percentage of people spending $1000 and more- sometimes a LOT more, are picky. Rightfully so.
You've obviously also been exposed to ....greedy diamond cutters. This seems to have soured you- and causes you to confuse motivations.
The heaviest finished diamond is not necessarily the way to get the best monetary yield from the rough.
Which is worth more- a 5.25ct Fancy Light Yellow Emerald Cut, or a 4.75ct Fancy Yellow Radiant?
 

NARRISHKEIT

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 20, 2011
Messages
98
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

kenny said:
I encourage FCD shoppers to do what I do...shoot for the impossible in FCDs: good color AND cut for better light performance.
Sounds good to me as long as one keeps in mind the tradeoffs. The stronger the white light return and the larger the virtual facets the more likely color uniformity and saturation of color may be negatively impacted especially in lighter colored material.

kenny said:
It lengthens the buyers diamond safari and it annoys FCD vendors because it renders some of their inventory suddenly less desirable, but hopefully educated buyers may make a difference in how colored diamonds are cut in the future.
Yes that is already clear judging by the responses made by trade members.

Unlike Colored Diamonds, the creativity and optimization of cut for brilliance is more available and commercially viable in Yellow Sapphires, more fun perhaps over in the CS forum ;-)
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,955
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

NARRISHKEIT, you sound very knowledgeable.
Are you in the industry?
 

NARRISHKEIT

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 20, 2011
Messages
98
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

kenny said:
NARRISHKEIT, you sound very knowledgeable.
Are you in the industry?
No, I don't think it would be nearly as much fun if I had to derive my living from this industry.

If that were the case I'd have a pretty clear bias and commercial goals for posting here which would make my posts quite a bit different.
 

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
8,404
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

Personally, I'm quite "invested" in this business.
I'm not speaking of money- rather I've spent my life in the diamond biz- so I find it distressing when folks are mislead. I seethe when I see some bad sellers misleading folks- such as when sub standard reports are passed off as if they were on par with GIA.
That's a case of bad intentions- but sometimes well meaning consumers spread incorrect info with only good intentions- they want to help.
An expert opinion was asked for. It's highly unlikely that a consumer, not in the trade, would have the depth of experience to answer this type of a question- and this thread proves that point.
The facet pattern in question is fairly common in fancy colored diamonds- some of which are incredibly well cut.
I'm sure you'll find stones with this facet pattern on all the leading fancy colored diamond sites.
The leaders in this industry won't "devalue" a stone because someone on a forum said it's bad- in other words, don't expect a stone with facet pattern number one to be discounted.

Lee- you can see the stones- so you 're in a position to make up your own mind.
If you don't love the stones you have, maybe you should keep searching.
But don't let the facet pattern on the GIA report sway you- you have the stones right there- use them to make a decision.
 

NARRISHKEIT

Rough_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jul 20, 2011
Messages
98
Re: Uncommon Cushion facet structure -unique to color diamon

leecube said:
BIG THANKS to you, Rockdiamond! You are always so helpful. I am glad to learn that you've seen well cut stones with Plot#1. At first, I was going to immediately dismiss it because of its "weird"/uncommonly used facet design.

However, I can't help but feel even more confused now....so a not very well cut stone can look "attractive" and "pretty" in real life??? And stones have "personalities"? Oh man...my head is spinning now.

Ultimately, here is my dilemma, I have two stones here, they are both graded as Fancy INTENSE by GIA.

Stone ONE has Plot#1, which, everyone agrees is not an excellent cut/facet design. I noticed a lot less brilliance coming out from it. However, the color is SO MUCH MORE YELLOW than the other stone. To the point that, it is totally night and day.

I personally don't find the stone to be ugly per se, but I don't know how to judge a stone's "personality". The vendor did said he think it is "full of life"...whatever that may mean.

Stone TWO has Plot#2, which is the very common modified brilliant design. While I like that it has larger facets than Plot#1, and that it gives off much more brilliant and larger fire than Plot#1. The yellow color is much less intense/saturated.


Now what is even more confusing is that the two above has approximately the same price per carat (approx. $8,865/carat). I thought the one with Plot#1 should command a much cheaper unit price because of its lower quality cut/facet design. But in fact, Plot#1 is actually about $90 more per carat!!

-------So to all of you experts out there, would you choose Plot#1 with poorer cut & less brilliance, but more intense yellow? OR Plot#2 with more brilliant and larger fire? OR, I shouldn't have to sacrifice and wait for another stone because I'm not completely happy with either one?

Again, MANY MANY THANKS in advance!!!
Lee,

GIA's color grades are broad so different yellows are possible within the same grade. I would strongly suggest you look at the diamonds in different lighting, if you are only seeing them under strong spot lighting (most common in jewelry stores) than the one with stronger white light return will appear much less saturated in yellow than when viewed under normal less bright lighting.

LIke I said in for FY diamonds color usually trumps brilliance in terms of pricing and you have an example in front of you.
It does sound a bit like you are looking for a nicely saturated intense yellow with large facets and strong brilliance and neither of these fit the bill.

If that is that is case I'd contact other dealers and keep looking till your wishlist is satisfied.

I wouldn't let the comments of dealers trying to make a sale move you to compromise on what you really want, not in this thread nor in a B&M, you can see clearly see their motives are not the same as yours. They want to make a sale with what they have available in their inventory and that isn't necessarily the best stone for you.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top