shape
carat
color
clarity

uncertified engagement ring???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

toothlesstexan

Rough_Rock
I have put a deposit down on an engagement ring under the assumption that the jeweller was to provide me a genuine certificate for the stone. He made the ring that I wanted and set the stone in it. When I went in to pick it up, he can not provide this particular diamond certificate. What should I do?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
take it to an appraiser to verify what you paid for is what you received, if not, then you have grounds to hopefully get a refund back.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That sounds very fishy to me. From your post, it seems that the diamond was to be certed after your purchase - right? Since a certificate is a significant selling point, I don''t understand the logic. I am not usually this suspicious, but I would walk away from it.

Not every diamond automatically has a certificate. Many diamonds do not. That does not mean it is a bad diamond. It simply may mean that it does not have a certificate. A GIA certficate costs about $100 for a full cert and about $50 for a dossier that gives you all the basic information. You may not have an unethical retailer but rather an unfulfilled expectation that a certificate would automatically accompany the stone. Not every retailer spends the extra money to obtain a certificate or to buy a diamond for extra money with the certificate cost built in.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2009 7:43:41 PM
Author: Engagement Ring Expert
Not every diamond automatically has a certificate. Many diamonds do not. That does not mean it is a bad diamond. It simply may mean that it does not have a certificate. A GIA certficate costs about $100 for a full cert and about $50 for a dossier that gives you all the basic information. You may not have an unethical retailer but rather an unfulfilled expectation that a certificate would automatically accompany the stone. Not every retailer spends the extra money to obtain a certificate or to buy a diamond for extra money with the certificate cost built in.

But an honest retailer, who promised a certified stone, needs to provide a certified stone.

OP-Do not accept the stone as is without that certificate. You bought it under the assumption that it came with one. If the jeweler can''t find it ask that he pay to send it to GIA for certification.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a tough situation that you are in. You can get the ring appraised,.....but what lies beneath the prongs? To get a full appraisal you will need to remove the diamond from the setting. It seems since you picked it up that you paid for it.....right? I would explain to him that I need the certificate. If he does not have it he should remove the diamond from the setting, and let you get a third party appraisal, reset if at no cost after the appraisal and give you some money back for all your troubles. If you paid for it on a credit card I would consider a charge back until you got a certificate or an appraisal with a satisfactory remount of the diamond in the setting. Good luck.

Lisa

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It''s a little bit shady that a retail says they will provide a certificate but in the end does not. There is just so much that can be hidden behind the prongs and it begs the question why the jeweler would promise something and not deliver.

--Joshua

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The OP said he was "under the assumption" the jeweler would provide a certificate, not that the jeweler verbally promised one. To me, the post is a little unclear, maybe the OP could clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results