shape
carat
color
clarity

Uncertified Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nick

Rough_Rock
Since I am newing to the whole diamond shopping thing (although the advice in this forum has been great!), I did not think very many diamonds came uncertified. However, when shopping around yesterday, one place seemed have quite a bit of stock that was uncertified and instead did the measurements that you would see on a certificate "in-house". Would I be crazy to even consider buying a diamond that has not be certified by one of the major certification firms? They said they would ship it to GIA if that was what I wanted, but it seemed a bit shifty to me. Any thoughts?

Greentree

Rough_Rock
If you're new, the best place to start is to locate a good, GIA trained, independent appraiser to help you. Give them a call and describe your situation. An independent appraiser is kind of like an attorney. They help you navigate unfamiliar waters. The appraiser won't give you specific professional advice without charging a fee, but they'll listen to your story and comment on whether an appraisal is worthwhile.

If the diamond you're considering is expensive, you probably should pay the fee and have them look at it before buying. This way you can be sure it is a genuine diamond, that nothing is seriously wrong with it, and the price is not out-of-line with the marketplace. This method also makes the issuer of the cert less important since the appraiser is, in effect, double checking the cert against GIA standards. Additionally, more confidence can be placed in the independent appraiser's written appraisal than the one provided by the store. The appraiser is not a party to the transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results