shape
carat
color
clarity

Unbelievable mall jewelry store!!! Ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Charmed

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I have been planning to upgrade my .7 ct princess cut for about 1 year now. We are still pondering where to purchase it from but are narrowing it down. We do not intend or ever have intended to purchase from a mall jeweler. We were shopping this afternoon and I thought it would be fun to just look at sparklies in one of the mall jewelry stores. So, I headed in first to the store, which is a well known mall jeweler. The woman behind the counter showed me a 1 carat G color VS1 princess cut, those were the only stats available so they say. I have an E color diamond so I mentionned that I can see the difference in color, she nipped at me saying that G is white. I told her that DEF are colorless and she said G is colorless. I couldn''t for the life of me remember what GHI was classified as in the color chart but I knew it was not colorless. I was stunned at the print out they had on the counter stating that DEF is EXTREMELY RARE WHITE and GHI is WHITE!!!!!!!! My husband walked in and took a glance at the diamond ring and said he could see color between their diamond and my diamond and she snapped again stating that G is WHITE and COLORLESS!

But the kicker is the price of the diamond. They were asking $13,000 for a 1 carat G VS1 diamond!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like mailing a color chart to her and commenting on the misinformation they are presenting customers!!! Just thought I would this share this unbelievable experience.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Just goes to show ya! Most of us can run circles around the "maul" store clerks!!!
naughty.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
I think what you were dealing with is a store that uses a non-GIA color grade scale. Under some scales, "G" is called "white" or "rare white."

http://www.jpdiamonds.com/LearningCenter/diamond_color_grade_chart.htm

Some old or European jewelers use these scales out of habit, but in most cases, I think they persist in large part because they can be confusing to consumers.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You are a witness to great changes that are coming to the way jewelers in stores sell diamonds. It is a little like being a witness to the death of the dinosaurs.

There is going to be a very painful set of changes as this all sorts itself out.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sad.gif
"white" and "near white", "colorless" or "near colorless"... whatever. But where is courtesy gone ? Aren't sellers supposed to be better trained the more expensive the merchandise... or am I missing something
eek.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 2/23/2004 2:12:55 PM valeria101 wrote:

sad.gif
'white' and 'near white', 'colorless' or 'near colorless'... whatever. But where is courtesy gone ? Aren't sellers supposed to be better trained the more expensive the merchandise... or am I missing something
eek.gif

----------------
Some jewelry salespeople just get used to lording it over uninformed consumers and react badly to having their "expertise" questioned ... even when they don't know anything more than what they've been told (in fact, it seems more common the less they actually know
3.gif
).

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Charmed, at her reaction, I would have pulled out my I-Scope, and gone to town on her stone, discussing the leakage, and demand to see a Sarin Report, get a copy of the full GIA report, and then asked her what price per carat was, quoting the wholesale price at each color, and clarity interval.
11.gif
9.gif

Actually, when encountering stupidity, the best is to smile, nod, and slowly back away towards the door.

One guy told me that finding a D,E,F VS1 radiant stone was impossible. They don't use high quality stones to make radiants, as they are not popular, and so I should "settle" for the J stone he had. I nodded, smiled, and slowly walked toward the door....antoher guy said only Tiffany's sells radiants....same procedure...

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/23/2004 2:58:40 PM Nicrez wrote:

Charmed, at her reaction, I would have pulled out my I-Scope, and gone to town on her stone, discussing the leakage, and demand to see a Sarin Report, get a copy of the full GIA report, and then asked her what price per carat was, quoting the wholesale price at each color, and clarity interval.
11.gif
9.gif

Actually, when encountering stupidity, the best is to smile, nod, and slowly back away towards the door.

One guy told me that finding a D,E,F VS1 radiant stone was impossible. They don't use high quality stones to make radiants, as they are not popular, and so I should 'settle' for the J stone he had. I nodded, smiled, and slowly walked toward the door....antoher guy said only Tiffany's sells radiants....same procedure...
----------------

Even tho I am a redhead, I like to play "Dumb Blonde" and ask lots of questions. People love to talk and I hear some of the dumbest things said. Instead of smile and walk slowly toward the door, I smile and say, "I'll have to chat with my husband and see what he says." That takes the "Dumb Blonde" routine to the hilt and they think I am not at all capable. HeeHee!!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results