shape
carat
color
clarity

Um....What?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
16mm round blue topaz

Insurance: $5

3 weeks to cut

Price: $3,999

Link

This is what is said in the description:
This beautiful, HUGE Blue Topaz is 100% flawless. *Not Man Made Material*

16mm round cut

197 hand cut, precision facets polished to perfection.

The double refraction of Topaz makes this huge modified portugese cut stone simply amazing.

This is one breath-taking stone. If you are going for shock and awe, this is the one for you. The depth of the blue makes this stone unique.

If set in 14K gold, a ring with this stone will be valued around $6,000.00 - $8,500.00 USD.

This stone took me 3 weeks to cut.

Insurance mandatory at $5 for this stone.

Um. I could have sworn that blue topaz usually costs less than $10 a carat, and even Barry Bridgestock''s topaz is $30 a carat (ish). This one...if I guestimate that it''s 25 carats....thats $160 a carat!

Am I smoking CRACK, or is that thing (which really isn''t that pretty IMHO) SEVERELY overpriced?! And 3 weeks to cut?!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I guess we should check how much do natural ones cost, cause I have no idea and can''t remember ever seing one. So if it''s indeed a natural blue topaz in that size, anything is possible. I''m not claiming anything, just that it MIGHT be quite a rare thing.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Having taken a look at the other items on that site, I'm inclined to agree with FrekeChild - seriously overpriced. Pass the crack, please.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2008 6:55:03 AM
Author: oldmancoyote
Having taken a look at the other items on that site, I''m inclined to agree with FrekeChild - seriously overpriced. Pass the crack, please.
Sorry Freke * quick threadjack*

OMC, I really like your avatar, where did you find it?
35.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 6:00:14 AM
Author: ma re
I guess we should check how much do natural ones cost, cause I have no idea and can''t remember ever seing one. So if it''s indeed a natural blue topaz in that size, anything is possible. I''m not claiming anything, just that it MIGHT be quite a rare thing.

Wildfish Gems has a natural, untreated blue topaz going for about $163/carat. The Etsy guy just says ''not man made'' though, he doesn''t say anything about it being untreated too.

dancingflame

Shiny_Rock
OUCH! I guess I''m gonna have to pass on that one.
20.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Well, he's also selling prasiolite and smoky quartz. Hmmmm.

He says, "not man made." Why not add, "not heat treated."

from his listing:
"The double refraction of Topaz makes this huge modified portugese cut stone simply amazing."--that part made me chuckle.

and *ahem* shoe color change Freke?? hmmmm?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe the astronauts brought it back from the moon?
emsmilep.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
That guy is either seriously delusional or foreign and messed up the currency conversion! My other favorite is the $5 worth of insurance. Last time I was at the post office that would buy you MAYBE $200-300 worth of insurance and that is it.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 7:19:31 AM
Author: Lorelei

35.gif
Thanks Lorelei. It's a sketch by Jaime de Angulo, published in his book "Indian Tales". It's a lovely book of Native American legends and myths, re-told as a single story.That's where the screenname comes from as well (actually, it's Coyote Old Man in the book, but the OMC moniker was too tempting for a jewelry fanatic to let it go!).

[end threadjack]

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Now he''s changed the description to include "not heat treated".

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I''m guessing the guy is new at cutting and doesn''t really know what things are worth. Blue topaz custom cut should be around $20 per ct. The color looks very different in two of the pictures too. 3 weeks to cut, must mean he spent a few minutes each night. A round is the fastest shape to cut. A large round like that should take maybe 3 to 6 hours for an experienced cutter.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene

If it is a natural color blue topaz would it cost more than $20 per carat, and then in that large size?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Natural color blue topaz is normally very light blue--more like sky blue than swiss blue (which is what this stone probably is--at least that's what it looks like).

This natural blue is still only $130 a carat from Wildfish-Link at almost 8 carats.

This natural blue is $160 a carat from Wildfish--Link at just under 14cts.

The naturals are incredibly light blue, and according to Wilfish, very very rare.

So, I don't buy that a) he mined it himself (says that he mines everything himself in his shop description) b)that this is not an irradiated topaz and c) it took three weeks to cut.

And since when does topaz have double refraction?

Coati I have no idea what you're talking about.
27.gif

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Light, natural blue topaz in the rough sells for $1.00 per ct. Now figure you recover about 25%, that would make the finished stone material cost $4 per ct. Add in some labor. Most cutters in the US don''t cut blue topaz too often since you really can''t make any money at it. "The Guide" list blue topaz from 5 to 50 cts. in Extra Fine quality at $12-18 per ct wholesale. So to cut a 10 ct stone, you start with a 50 ct say, and if you bought better color like an electric swiss blue, you could pay $2.00 ct for , so that''s $100 for the rough. The finished stone would sell for around $150, and you may have 4 hours into. It''s just not worthwhile to cut. Of course you could always try to get $150 per ct for it!!!!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
This vendor joined Etsy yesterday and has NO FEEDBACK yet.....let''s see what happens.....

Lori

GemRite

Rough_Rock
I agree with what everyone else says. I did want to add that when i was reading the description it did not say it wasn''t irradiated. Most untreated topaz I have seen that is natural blue is extremely pale. Just not sure where the value is in this gem. I faceted an untreated red zircon portuguese cut that ended up being 21.95 cts. It took me about 2-2.5 hours for the pavillion and about the same to do the crown and table. So maybe 5 hours top, but likely it was closer to 4 hours. Not sure how it took 3 weeks to facet. If it took me that long to facet a stone I would have to find a new job. :) hehe... Just my thoughts.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2008 7:05:08 PM
Author: GemRite
I agree with what everyone else says. I did want to add that when i was reading the description it did not say it wasn''t irradiated. Most untreated topaz I have seen that is natural blue is extremely pale. Just not sure where the value is in this gem. I faceted an untreated red zircon portuguese cut that ended up being 21.95 cts. It took me about 2-2.5 hours for the pavillion and about the same to do the crown and table. So maybe 5 hours top, but likely it was closer to 4 hours. Not sure how it took 3 weeks to facet. If it took me that long to facet a stone I would have to find a new job. :) hehe... Just my thoughts.
John, your last sentence about find a new job for taking so long to complete a cutting job cracked me up.
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2008 8:38:40 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 11/15/2008 7:05:08 PM
Author: GemRite
John, your last sentence about find a new job for taking so long to complete a cutting job cracked me up.
9.gif
Lol. Me too. Maybe that''s why it costs so much...

GemRite

Rough_Rock
Hehe, Yeah, but it's true. Some people may work slower than others. I take longer than most faceters I know, but I am really try to be as precise as possible. I will tell you this, I love what I do.
1.gif
Ya'll have nice weekend and take care.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He added a statement about if you don''t like his prices, you can give him a reasonable offer. Hmmm, what''s a reasonalble offer on that blue topaz, like a 1000% discount?!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2008 8:48:00 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
He added a statement about if you don''t like his prices, you can give him a reasonable offer. Hmmm, what''s a reasonalble offer on that blue topaz, like a 1000% discount?!!

Wonder if he''s reading this thread...seems that he''s responding to some concerns posted here...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2008 1:22:07 PM
Author: oldmancoyote

Date: 11/15/2008 7:19:31 AM
Author: Lorelei

35.gif
Thanks Lorelei. It''s a sketch by Jaime de Angulo, published in his book ''Indian Tales''. It''s a lovely book of Native American legends and myths, re-told as a single story.That''s where the screenname comes from as well (actually, it''s Coyote Old Man in the book, but the OMC moniker was too tempting for a jewelry fanatic to let it go!).

[end threadjack]
Thanks for the info OMC - it is a simple picture but very effective! I will have to keep an eye out for the book.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um. He's changed it again. I'm really wondering who he had appraise it...

This beautiful, HUGE Blue Topaz is 100% flawless. *Not Man Made Material* - *Not heat treated*

Country of origin is unknown.

16mm round cut

The double refraction of Topaz makes this huge modified portugese cut stone simply amazing.

This is one breath-taking stone. If you are going for shock and awe, this is the one for you. The depth of the blue makes this stone unique.

If set in 14K white gold, a ring with this stone will be valued around $6,000.00 - $8,500.00 USD... and knock your socks off.
I re-cut that Topaz a few times to get it just right. Check out the facets, they don't meet. That's why it looks so amazing. The facets split the light rays of a doubly refractive gem, that's like quadruply refractive when you don't meet the points, it really sets it off. My own tilt to this cut is I added an extra row of girdle facets just for fun, it pumps out sparkles on the crown big time!
I had it professionally appraised for $4,200+ and was told to die before I let it go for less than $3200.

This stone took me 3 weeks to cut if I just sat down for 3 weeks straight. We had our good times and we had our bad times but it came out pretty good, I'm ready to let someone else enjoy it.

Insurance mandatory.

And since when is facets not meeting a good thing? Gene? Can you explain that?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG. Seriously. This dude is giving me a headache.

This beautiful, HUGE Blue Topaz is 100% flawless. *Not Man Made Material* - *Not heat treated*

Country of origin is unknown.

16mm round cut - 18.75 carats

If set in 14K white gold, a ring with this stone will be valued around $10,000.00 - $12,500.00 USD... and knock your socks off.
I re-cut that Topaz a few times to get it just right. Check out the facets, they don''t meet. That''s why it looks so amazing. The facets split the light rays of a doubly refractive gem, that''s like quadruply refractive when you don''t meet the points, it really sets it off. My own tilt to this cut is I added an extra row of girdle facets just for fun, it pumps out sparkles on the crown big time!
I had it professionally appraised for $4,200+ Replacement value was $8,000 due to the cut.

This stone took me 3 weeks to cut if I just sat down for 3 weeks straight. We had our good times and we had our bad times but it came out uber-dazzling! I''m ready to let someone else enjoy it.

Insurance mandatory.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol, this is getting funnier and funnier.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to know what he''s smoking since he''s seriously delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results