shape
carat
color
clarity

Ultrasonic overuse

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Ultrasonics clean things.
Overtime for various reasons gems can become loose,and by regular ultrasonic (cleaning) you will be helping your gems to stay loose and maybe become lost.
I have seen many nice "rocks" simply held in by all the crud and grime of many years wear,which no doubt would have fallen out years ago if kept clean.
So it`s worth bearing this in mind and having your gems checked now and then for security.
You may well do this yourself,but be careful not to damage the more delicate gems.
Best get a pro to do it for you.
Hope this advice is a help to someone.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS Chris
35.gif

Ultrasonics are always a hot topic here! Are you in the industry as you say you have seen many rocks cemented in by grime over the years?
6.gif

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the welcome.
The answer to your question is yes.
I have been involved in the diamond and precious stone setting section of the trade for the past 18 years.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is always nice to have a new professional join us, I hope you stick around Chris and I look forward to reading your posts! We are a friendly bunch here!

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Really?
6.gif
I thought that US cleaners kept the diamond clean, thus reducing chances of dirt accumulating/wearing down the prongs in the first place. Dirt/sand are very "hard" and can wear down the prongs through abrasion. Somewhere on this site I read dirt/sand has a hardness factor not *too* far from that of diamonds... Far, but not light years away!

I thought that NOT using US cleaners was the culprit for those grimy rings with only dirt holding the stone in place. If it's clean all the time, there won't be any dirt wearing down the prongs in the first place. And you notice if the stone is "clicking" or loose more easily, yes?

Now I'm worried!
23.gif

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
No need to panic.
Maybe re-read my post again.
Yes,ultrasonics keep stones clean.
I don`t think general dirt and grime will wear away any metal,mostly just daily wear and tear. Sand may do (if you spend all your time at the beach)?
Of course a clean ring is better! but you must be aware of stone security abit more. (just a little bit more)!
Like i said i`ve seen many rings so worn away with age (very old rings and not so) that the stones were held in only by the all the muck (rings not cleaned obviously).
That is not to say don`t clean your stuff!
Hopefully you can get the point of what i mean now
2.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/30/2006 5:44:19 AM
Author:Londonchris
Ultrasonics clean things.
Overtime for various reasons gems can become loose,and by regular ultrasonic (cleaning) you will be helping your gems to stay loose and maybe become lost.
I have seen many nice 'rocks' simply held in by all the crud and grime of many years wear,which no doubt would have fallen out years ago if kept clean.
So it`s worth bearing this in mind and having your gems checked now and then for security.
You may well do this yourself,but be careful not to damage the more delicate gems.
Best get a pro to do it for you.
Hope this advice is a help to someone.
2.gif
Oh, thanks!
41.gif
It was your line that initially confused me: by regular ultrasonic (cleaning) you will be helping your gems to stay loose and maybe become lost.

I believe loosening happens sometimes with pave, but to refrain from US cleaning because the dirt is all that's holding the stone in --could easily be prevented by regular US cleaning itself!
31.gif
Cheers! You are right -- regular checkups prevent stone loss. That reminds me... it's time to get my prongs checked!!!

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/1/2006 12:40:56 PM
Author: Julian

I believe loosening happens sometimes with pave, but to refrain from US cleaning because the dirt is all that''s holding the stone in --could easily be prevented by regular US cleaning itself!
Loosening can happen with ALL types of setting,though i would like to add that pave setting is generally very safe indeed and my favourite.
2nd half of the quoted sentence is correct,though it may be too late too use an ultrasonic if your inherited heirloom has never been cleaned before!
(take it to a jeweller first for advice).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results