shape
carat
color
clarity

Ultrasonic - how long do you run it for?

susief

Shiny_Rock
Quick and boring question. I know there have been lots of threads before on how often people use their ultrasonics, but I can't find anything about how long you put them in for. I have one that just has a 3-minute cycle, but a lot of the Amazon reviews imply that people run it several times in a row. Any thoughts appreciated!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I run mine between 5-7ish times. It depends on my mood. [emoji56][emoji23]

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use mine everyday (I use Windex and water in mine) and I wash my hands and jewelry thoroughly with Dawn before I put the jewelry in. It isn't very dirty to begin with so I only do the three minute cycle. Works like a charm!

susief

Shiny_Rock
Thanks msop! So is that 5-7 times of a 3 min cycle? How often do you do it?

Thanks MissGotRocks! I am tempted to do mine daily but have heard mixed things about whether that's too often or not. I have a platinum raised bezel setting, no pave or small stones - wonder if this would be ok to do daily?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
susief|1467548670|4050991 said:
Thanks msop! So is that 5-7 times of a 3 min cycle? How often do you do it?

Thanks MissGotRocks! I am tempted to do mine daily but have heard mixed things about whether that's too often or not. I have a platinum raised bezel setting, no pave or small stones - wonder if this would be ok to do daily?

I don't have any small stones or pave in my rings so I honestly don't think twice about doing it daily. My settings are all yellow gold and platinum so I don't have to worry about white gold plating wearing off either. The ultrasonic is just a safe place for me to put my rings when I get home. I could probably just put them in for a soak without running it if I wanted to be super safe. I just have a thing about clean diamonds and it puts my OCD into overdrive - ha!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
It didn't even occur to me to run my ultrasonic more than once!! I guess I have been happy with the one-time run at 3 minutes, but now I am curious on the results of running it more! I have read so much about using windex for cleanings on PS, but it also didn't occur to me to use it in the ultrasonic! Gosh, now I have to try that too!

Thanks ladies for the tips!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It depends on which piece I want to clean. My solitaire is super easy to clean and one cycle is normally enough. It is never very dirty to begin with though.

My asscher band... :snooty: :nono: ;( needs at least three cycles to look ok, "eye clean". I have never managed to get it completely (loupe) clean in the area between the stones, havent dared to keep it long enough in the usc I guess. The setting is hard to clean, but the asschers get dirty really quickly too so I try to accept the eye clean thing because I have heard it isnt really a good idea to use the usc too much on melee settings or settings with several stones (the asschers are 0.1 ct). Oh asschers... hate to love them.. :wavey:

ETA.. love to hate them too! ;-) Anyway, the reason I got the usc was in fact to clean the asscher band. I dont think it is really necessary for my solitaire.

susief

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all! I think I might go with a single 3 mins cycle daily (or as often as I remember), and double/triple up if I haven't used it for a while. My ring never looks visibly dirty (I take it off for all messy activities and rarely wear it in the house) - it just looks even clearer after the ultrasonic. Part of it is a mind clean thing!

I usually just use plain hot water as the instructions on mine advise, but might play around with different solutions. I'm sure we've got some UK-equivalent Windex (Mr Muscle window cleaner) somewhere...

susief

Shiny_Rock
Actually, scrap that - I've just used it and had forgotten how much of a pain it is to fill, use, empty, etc. And split water all over the floor. A few consecutive cycles weekly for me I think!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
haha I completely understand..!

I use my usc once every week, maybe every two weeks if Im too busy. I have a tiny baby brush by the soap in my bathroom and use it for a quick clean with regular soap every morning. Works really well for every day use, super easy and quick. Maybe something for you too? :wavey:

susief

Shiny_Rock
That's a great idea aca - I think I will start doing that! Just need to make sure I don't muddle up the ring toothbrush with my toddler's toothbrush - not that I've ever done that before, oh no :oops:

KinoChoco

Rough_Rock
Wouldn't using toothbrush be too abrasive for the white gold? (Shortening the lifespan of rhodium coating), especially the prongs area

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi kino! :wavey:

Im not absolutely sure re rhodium plating, but wouldnt worry about it when using a very soft (baby) brush and cleaning it gently. I have one ring in white gold and it needs rhodium dipping because of wear on other parts of the ring, simply because of me wearing it and not because of my cleaning it with a brush. This is why I prefer platinum...

In any case, whatever method of cleaning, you should always check the prongs regularly to make sure the diamond is secure.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
susief|1467581539|4051130 said:
That's a great idea aca - I think I will start doing that! Just need to make sure I don't muddle up the ring toothbrush with my toddler's toothbrush - not that I've ever done that before, oh no :oops:

:lol:
I actually use a brush that is even smaller than a toddler toothbrush. 8-) I use one that came with a jewelry cleaning liquid. "baby"=tiny... It makes it even easier to clean my rings. Not sure where you can buy those seperately though...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Makeup brushes would work.

I have an asscher and a pave halo. I just use dawn, some windex and water. No ultrasonic.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't use an ultrasonic. Instead, I have a sonic cleaner because I'm paranoid about pave loosening up. I think I run it for just a couple minutes. I run it with hot water (I don't have distilled water but we Brita then boil our water for the sake of our cats. So I nuke a mug for 30 seconds), a few squirts of windex and a drop of dishwashing liquid. The items are on a drain tray so I carefully lift the tray out, pour out the water, the. Refill with more hot water and run the sonic cleaner again as the "rinse" cycle.

As for brushes, I find art supply stores to have a great variety of brushes at cheaper price points than makeup brushes. I even remember reading a fashion mag where a makeup artist recommended buying brushes from an art supply store for makeup application!

If your drugstore has elf brand brushes, the angled eyeshadow/liner brush is $1-2 and gentle enough for eyelids but stiff enough for precision application. :lol: I think that combo could make it a good jewelry cleaning brush!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
susief|1467570909|4051082 said:
Actually, scrap that - I've just used it and had forgotten how much of a pain it is to fill, use, empty, etc. And split water all over the floor. A few consecutive cycles weekly for me I think!

My husband installed an electric plug inside one of my cabinets so it sits in there out of the way. I don't change the cleaning solution but once every week or two. I wash my hands and rings in Dawn first so I'm not putting caked on gunk in the cleaner. It works for me. I can definitely see if you had to fill it, run it and then drain and put it away though. As I said, the ultrasonic is more of a safe place to put my stuff in when I get home. I am sure I could get just as good a result with solution in a bowl, quick soak and brushed with a soft baby's toothbrush (what I use).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results