shape
carat
color
clarity

Ultrasonic cleaner

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
I visited my local jeweller at Christmas and he gave my rings and pendant a clean with his Ultrasonic I decided my diamond dazzle stick no longer cuts the mustard!! A quick look on Amazon and I have a little 600ml Ultrasonic.
So far my rings have been cleaned twice, my 4 pairs of glasses have all had a clean and my pendant has had a clean too!! The pendant was a fun clean... I find it really difficult to do the clasp up with my nails being a little too long, never mind the fact that I need my glasses to see the pesky clasp! So I hung my neck over the Ultrasonic with my diamond pendant dangling in the water

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I visited my local jeweller at Christmas and he gave my rings and pendant a clean with his Ultrasonic I decided my diamond dazzle stick no longer cuts the mustard!! A quick look on Amazon and I have a little 600ml Ultrasonic.
So far my rings have been cleaned twice, my 4 pairs of glasses have all had a clean and my pendant has had a clean too!! The pendant was a fun clean... I find it really difficult to do the clasp up with my nails being a little too long, never mind the fact that I need my glasses to see the pesky clasp! So I hung my neck over the Ultrasonic with my diamond pendant dangling in the water

Great idea!

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Can you link which one you got?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's some info re ultrasonic cleaners. HTH.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock

I got this one, but I am in the UK.

I thought for £18 it was worth a try!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got this one, but I am in the UK.

I thought for £18 it was worth a try!

Thanks for the heads-up on this - up to 25-quid now, annoyingly, but I'll keep an eye on the price! :)

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I'm guessing no emeralds/rubies or pearls in ultrasonic? How do those get cleaned? (I learned a hard lesson after cleaning emerald earrings with jewelry cleaner).

Also on the other thread ppl mentioned stones getting loose from the ultrasonic? That scares me!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm guessing no emeralds/rubies or pearls in ultrasonic? How do those get cleaned? (I learned a hard lesson after cleaning emerald earrings with jewelry cleaner).

Also on the other thread ppl mentioned stones getting loose from the ultrasonic? That scares me!

No pearls, and rubies are fine if they are not fracture-filled.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Distracts, I think the emerald/rubies might be fracture filled. Didn't know about that much before I received those jewelry pieces

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the heads-up on this - up to 25-quid now, annoyingly, but I'll keep an eye on the price! :)

Mine was an Amazon Warehouse deal as the box was damaged and I also get VAT off hence the £18!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Me too! My ultrasonic is about 8 years old now & I think it barely works. I used to get lots of gunk floating in the water, but now I don't get any & I use it less often :think:

Stephan

Ideal_Rock

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's an article by GIA on what gems can be safely placed in an ultrasonic cleaner. LINK

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an article by GIA on what gems can be safely placed in an ultrasonic cleaner. LINK

Do these inexpensive ultrasonics we use at home get make things hot enough to do damage or color change related to heat? Nothing has ever felt hot when I took it out. It would not have occurred to me that heat would be a concern.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do these inexpensive ultrasonics we use at home get make things hot enough to do damage or color change related to heat? Nothing has ever felt hot when I took it out. It would not have occurred to me that heat would be a concern.

I think GIA might just be covering their behinds here in case someone was foolish enough to drop a room temperature gem into boiling water. The outside of the gem would expand so much more quickly than the inside that cracking could result. If normal warm water temperatures could damage a gem then nobody would be able to wear their jewelry on a scorching hot summer day!!!

I put a tiny drop of dawn liquid in our ultrasonic and then pour in hot distilled water, but not so hot I can't stir in the Dawn with my finger. :) I don't think the water warms up significantly whilst the cleaner is running.

A jeweler once told me he had a customer's ruby disintegrate in his ultrasonicsonic cleaner. There was consternation all round till they discovered it was glass filled. :eek-2:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I think GIA might just be covering their behinds here in case someone was foolish enough to drop a room temperature gem into boiling water. The outside of the gem would expand so much more quickly than the inside that cracking could result. If normal warm water temperatures could damage a gem then nobody would be able to wear their jewelry on a scorching hot summer day!!!

I put a tiny drop of dawn liquid in our ultrasonic and then pour in hot distilled water, but not so hot I can't stir in the Dawn with my finger. :) I don't think the water warms up significantly whilst the cleaner is running.

A jeweler once told me he had a customer's ruby disintegrate in his ultrasonicsonic cleaner. There was consternation all round till they discovered it was glass filled. :eek-2:

GIA actually seems kind of relaxed about it. The list in the manual for my GemOro is:

Usually: Alex, amethyst,aqua,citrine,diamond, garnet, ruby, sapphire, spinel

Risky: coral, "Lolite", lapis, peridot,tourmaline, zircon

Never: amazonite, amber, emerald, opal, pearl, tanzanite, topaz, turquoise, variscite

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results