shape
carat
color
clarity

Ultrasonic cleaner recommendation please

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So there are lots of threads on ultrasonics as I just did a search but they all seem to be many years old from the PS search I was able to do. I just found an old one I had from 10 years ago and am thinking there must be newer and improved models. Can anyone recommend a small and simple and easy to use ultrasonic cleaner?
Thank you.

Here's my old ultrasonic that I just found after many years of not using anything but dish soap and water.
designlinebyconair.jpg

cleaningcalvinandhobbes.jpg

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Sorry I can't help... I have the Gemoro Ultraspa Combination Ultrasonic and Steamer, and it is definitely not compact. Also, I'm not so sure how well I would rate it, as the ultrasound component seems to be quite weak (basically ineffective) and the steamer spits water everywhere.

BlingBlingLova

Shiny_Rock
Premium
https://www.bestadvisor.com/jewelry...MIvNWxvMLc3QIVgq_ICh1B2wjfEAAYAiAAEgL3vvD_BwE

I have the second one - the Magnasonic from Amazon. This is my second one - the first lasted several years - and I have been very happy with it!

I have the 4th one and i love it. It has a basket so the diamond pieces stay put in the US. Also I like how the basket is not touching the stainless steel bottom where the dirt accumulates. I also have this one from costco which I also love and use the steamer portion all the time. I don't like the US portion because it is too small

https://www.costco.com/Sienna-TrioS...and-UV-Light-Sanitizer.product.100370347.html

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love my Magnasonic!

stylistbydesign

Rough_Rock
I have the Magnasonic as well, and we love it! On a side note, it's also AMAZING for cleaning eyeglasses/sunglasses.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I'd like to buy one too but Magnasonic is not available in Australia :(2 any other good brands?

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'd like to buy one too but Magnasonic is not available in Australia :(2 any other good brands?

The Magnasonics are just re-branded and slightly cosmetically altered versions of the Chinese VGT ultrasonics. More specifically, the VGT-2000 Ultrasonic. You can pick one of these up from Alibaba for about $30 with shipping. I ordered one from this manufacturer. Works like a charm. :) And I'm pretty sure they ship to Australia.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/VGT-2000-Mini-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner_60759639780.html?

ETA: You can also specify the type of plug and whether you want 110 or 220V when you place the order, so it will be compatable with Aussie circuits. :)

Last edited:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
The Magnasonics are just re-branded and slightly cosmetically altered versions of the Chinese VGT ultrasonics. More specifically, the VGT-2000 Ultrasonic. You can pick one of these up from Alibaba for about $30 with shipping. I ordered one from this manufacturer. Works like a charm. :) And I'm pretty sure they ship to Australia.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/VGT-2000-Mini-Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner_60759639780.html?

ETA: You can also specify the type of plug and whether you want 110 or 220V when you place the order, so it will be compatable with Aussie circuits. :)

Thank you :D

Do they work for silver jewellery and sunnies as well?

aussiemel

Rough_Rock
I'm in Australia too and would also like to buy a good ultrasonic cleaner. I have a basic one but would like to invest in a really good one (although a baby toothbrush and dishwashing liquid also do a good job). Thanks for the tips.

I wish we could get Magnasonics here.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you :D

Do they work for silver jewellery and sunnies as well?

Do you mean for routine cleaning of silver, or for the removal of tarnish? For the former, sure. For the latter, not really. Ultrasonics do not remove tarnish on their own with just water. You'll need to soak the silver in a tarnish removal gel/solution first, and then scrub it a bit to get a majority of the tarnish off. The ultrasonic will definitely help to get the tarnish off though once you've pre-soaked the jewelry in a tarnish removal solution.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm in Australia too and would also like to buy a good ultrasonic cleaner. I have a basic one but would like to invest in a really good one (although a baby toothbrush and dishwashing liquid also do a good job). Thanks for the tips.

I wish we could get Magnasonics here.

Like I said, Magnasonics are just rebranded Chinese cheap-o ultrasonics. Pretty much all of the UltraSonics in the $30ish dollar range on Amazon (Magnasonic, Yesker, iSonic, Ukoke, Coil Master, etc. etc.) are all just cosmetically altered VGTs. Mostly plastic components except for the steel inner tub. 3 minute timer with digital display, etc.

Not that that's a bad thing. For most people's personal use, these Ultras will be perfectly adequate, and will probably last for 3-5 years of semi-frequent light (non-industrial) use. Unless you're doing some serious industrial/commercial grade cleaning, the next step up in terms of quality (after the VGT-based UltraSonics) is overkill.

The "next step up" in my opinion is the European-manufactured, all-316L stainless steel industrial grade UltraSonics. Something like the Elmasonic Ultras. Made in Germany and built like tanks. We have one of these in our lab (a 2.5 gallon unit), and it has been going strong for over 10 years of heavy use. But this doesn't come cheap. Entry price for these Ultras is $399, and that's for the smallest model without a heater. Prices go up considerably after that.
https://www.amazon.com/Elmasonic-100-7136-Ultrasonic-Stainless/dp/B072LV8ZG7/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1538120626&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=elma+ultrasonic&th=1

So if you really want to invest in a "really good one", you'll need to pony up $400+. But honestly, the $30 plastic Chinese units will probably suffice for your needs. :) Like I said, I have one of the VGTs at home, and it is perfectly adequate for cleaning jewelry, watch bands, glasses, etc.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.bestadvisor.com/jewelry...MIvNWxvMLc3QIVgq_ICh1B2wjfEAAYAiAAEgL3vvD_BwE

I have the second one - the Magnasonic from Amazon. This is my second one - the first lasted several years - and I have been very happy with it!

Thank you @MissGotRocks! Looks good. I never felt the need for one before but with the setting my OEC is in now it isn't as easy to keep the ring clean as it was in the solitaire setting. I appreciate your recommendation.

Thanks @ice empress for chiming in as well. Spitting water does not sound good-perhaps check out the Magnasonic recommendation.

Thanks @BlingBlingLova- I love Costco and will check it out when we go there. I actually have a steamer somewhere but like most gadgets I buy them and am excited about them for a few weeks and then promptly forget about them. My dh reminded me we had the steamer and ultrasonic yesterday but at this point they are both many years old so I would like to explore newer options.

Thank you @Mamabean. Glad to hear you are loving your Ultrasonic.

Thanks @stylistbydesign. With all the positive endorsements here looks like Magnasonic is a winner. And I will try it on my glasses and sunglasses as they all need a good cleaning for sure.

@LetLoveRule hope you can get the Ultrasonic cleaner you want. I think they all work for jewelry and glasses/sunglasses. Please keep us posted as to what you get and how you like it.

Hi @aussiemel, yes I agree a soft toothbrush and dish soap gets the job done generally. It's what I have used for decades basically and never really had any issues. It should be interesting to see if I notice a difference with the Ultrasonic cleaner. Keep us posted if you change up your routine and let us know what you think.

Thank you @TreeScientist for your input and the info. Appreciate it. Very helpful.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Magnisonics are cheap..I looked for a really good quality one..but I did research on it and people recommended the Magnasonic. I thought it would work in the meantime. It surprised me..I keep my jewelry really clean..a little obsessive about it and I just need to run it through once. There’s a person in my family that doesn’t keep hers clean. It has soap buildup and who knows what else caked in there.shutter..It grosses me out! I attack it with a toothbrush sometimes after cleaning in the Magnasonic and repeat it again! I then run it through twice with warm water and Mr. Clean. Dump out the dirty water, and run it through again with clean water and a little bit of windex. Most people you hit the button and run it through once. Me..because I’m nuts...run it twice even though I know it doesn’t need it. So mine gets a good workout and does a GREAT job..

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Great recommendation, I'll check it out.

How often do you use it?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great recommendation, I'll check it out.

How often do you use it?
If you’re asking me I will put it in the unit when I’m washing dishes every evening so they’ll just soak..Then run it under hot water..dry them off on a paper towel..I don’t need to run it often..but I think every few days..but for different pieces depending on what I’m wearing..I am always running them under hot water and rubbing the tops with windex. :roll2:

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m another Magnasonic owner. So far no complaints here. Does a great job.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some Magnasonics on eBay Australia which ship from the US.

P

PierreBear

Hello! I know you asked specifically about an ultrasonic cleaner but just wanted to share my experience with you, friend! I had one but can't remember the name. Whether the stone was slightly loose in my 5 stone band and it would have happened eventually, but I noticed it wiggling a bit after I used the ultrasonic cleaner. There wasn't a risk of the stone falling out but I was warned that the vibrations just aren't ideal and brush/dish soap is the way to go. Maybe keep doing what you are doing for your Bubbalah? Or maybe I just had a one-off experience? May you get the best cleaning possible for all your gorgeous jewelry!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a good one then go with an american or european made.. IMO, all Chinese made US are junk. :silenced:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Updating...so I got the Magnasonic Ultrasonic and thank you all for your recommendations and helpful suggestions!

magnasonic.jpg.png

Just cleaned some of my bling I have here with me at the shore

ultrasonicblingbath.jpg.png

earringsafterbath.jpg

Does anyone have a recommendation for a compact easy to use jewelry steamer to dry the bling after the bath?
Thank you.

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
@missy is the steamer meant to dry the bling?

I found that mine makes the stone wet and I actually take a blow dryer to it immediately after using the steamer to avoid water stains (which I’ve never actually noted, but in theory want to avoid).

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canned air that photographers use also works to dry diamonds. Can buy 6-packs at Costco.

LinSF

Brilliant_Rock
This thread prompted me to finally buy a Magnasonic as well. I am so glad I did! I can now wear earrings I've been hiding from world because I couldn't get them clean enough!

stylistbydesign

Rough_Rock
@missy, I’ve never used a steamer to dry the bling. I just dry one round of bling with a old soft cotton tee, while the next round is being cleaned. I’ve never noticed any spots or anything detracting from the sparkle. :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canned air that photographers use also works to dry diamonds. Can buy 6-packs at Costco.
Yup, I wait till they are on sale. :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks @cflutist! I forgot all about canned air...perfect!:appl:

@missy is the steamer meant to dry the bling?

I found that mine makes the stone wet and I actually take a blow dryer to it immediately after using the steamer to avoid water stains (which I’ve never actually noted, but in theory want to avoid).

Thanks @ice empress. I get water spots when drying my diamonds but I think it could also be related to using a microfiber cloth and perhaps I need a smoother cloth. I have tried a hair dryer in the past too lol but it is sort of bulky to use. Haha what we do for our diamonds.:lol:
1237365xzk9e6ipis.gif

This thread prompted me to finally buy a Magnasonic as well. I am so glad I did! I can now wear earrings I've been hiding from world because I couldn't get them clean enough!

Yay! Glad you found the thread helpful too.

@missy, I’ve never used a steamer to dry the bling. I just dry one round of bling with a old soft cotton tee, while the next round is being cleaned. I’ve never noticed any spots or anything detracting from the sparkle. :)

That's a super idea. I use my dh's old t-shirts to dry my hair after I wash it so it doesn't frizz my curls...why not dry my diamonds? Probably would work better than the microfiber cloths I've been using. Plus I get lint on my diamonds from the cloths too. Could be related to all the kitty hair we have around here though...:oops2:

Yup, I wait till they are on sale. :bigsmile:

I find most things at Costco are reasonably priced even when not on sale. I am not waiting and as soon as we get to Costco I am getting some canned air. There's a joke in there but I just woke up and am still half asleep.
1370758t2un0q5qua.gif

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you search compressed air there’s people’s comments about it..I never used it but it seems the air comes out pretty strong...One person said to hold on tight! You don’t want Bubbalah flying..but probably the weight of all her blinginess would keep her safe! :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you search compressed air there’s people’s comments about it..I never used it but it seems the air comes out pretty strong...One person said to hold on tight! You don’t want Bubbalah flying..but probably the weight of all her blinginess would keep her safe! :lol:

Oh my gosh @Mamabean, thank you for warning me! I totally could see myself making a mess of it and appreciate the warning. I am Queen Klutz after all. Appreciate you looking out after Bubbalah (and me)...Thank you!:kiss2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh @Mamabean, thank you for warning me! I totally could see myself making a mess of it and appreciate the warning. I am Queen Klutz after all. Appreciate you looking out after Bubbalah (and me)...Thank you!:kiss2:
I know it would happen to me! Did you ever see the episode of Lucille Ball at the straw factory? My brother use to say I was just like her! :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results