shape
carat
color
clarity

UK to US return of ring insurance

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

I am about to pluck up the courage and do my first ever online purchase. My only problem now is that if the ring is not suitable I need to get it back to the vendor in the US. I have read a few topics that suggest Fed Ex will not cover the value of my ring against loss/theft on the return trip to the US. How do/have people outside the US gotten around this. There has been some suggestion of tagging on to the vendors Fed Ex account, not sure how that would work or what exactly this means? Any other possibilities?

Please help, I am ready to buy, but need to know how to get it back within the return period just in case it isnt suitable.
33.gif

Thanks heaps
35.gif

D2B

Oh, when this long saga is finally over I promise to post lots of photos
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2007 5:05:03 AM
Author:D2B
Hi

I am about to pluck up the courage and do my first ever online purchase. My only problem now is that if the ring is not suitable I need to get it back to the vendor in the US. I have read a few topics that suggest Fed Ex will not cover the value of my ring against loss/theft on the return trip to the US. How do/have people outside the US gotten around this. There has been some suggestion of tagging on to the vendors Fed Ex account, not sure how that would work or what exactly this means? Any other possibilities?

Please help, I am ready to buy, but need to know how to get it back within the return period just in case it isnt suitable.
33.gif

Thanks heaps
35.gif

D2B

Oh, when this long saga is finally over I promise to post lots of photos
36.gif
It is best to check with the particular vendor you are planning to make the purchase from, that way should it not be what you want, then you know exactly what to do to return it and they can advise you accordingly, try not to worry as they will have dealt with this before.

Good luck!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D2B I am going through this just now and I am stuck too. I am contacting Fedex by phone on Monday morning, but after that I don't know what to do. I have looked at their website and they do seem to have something about coverage but I am not clear if it would cover the amount mine is, so I am going to contact them and speak to them.

I really thought it would be easier than this. I contacted Royal Mail and they don't have insurance past £500. I am wondering if this means I will have to pay for an appraisal as my invoice is in dollars and then go to an Insurance Company to get insurance from them.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Lorelei and Pyramid.

Pyramid, can you update and let us (me
9.gif
) know what you have discovered and how you are dealing with this issue. I am also surprised that this can be an issue, I would have thought that big shipping companies would have ways of dealing with this (which one pays a premium for of course).
I will talk to Signed Pieces and see what they do and fill you in.

Anyone else who can chime in, it would be good to know what the options are.
cheers
D2B
35.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
(I am pyramid''s sister, her computer is out of order at the moment) She phoned Fedex, they will only insure up to $500 for jewellery. The only option was to get insurance from an insurance company.

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Interesting. What about UPS or DHL? Are these reasonable options?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
You have three options that I know of (I''m not familiar with DHL).

1. Return via postal service registered mail with a maximum of $25,000 insurance.

2. Return via UPS (finished pieces only, they do not insure loose stones), with a maximum of $50,000 insurance.

3. Return using the vendor''s third party insurance via Federal Express, usually with a maximum of $75,000.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
thanks Richard. Will see how this all works from the UK
Wish it was all a bit simpler, oh well.
23.gif

thanks again
cheers
35.gif

D2B

Sorry in a bit of a rush, must dash, but thougth Id better respond quickly.
4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results