shape
carat
color
clarity

$$$ ugly pink sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea, be interesting to see what the opinions are as to why it is so expensive...Did you see the pink pear diamond ring?????
18.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
This is a "highlight" section.

Think better info and description in the sale listing in their catalogue would be more "revealing".

Not sure why the stone is imaged at an angle? Perhaps to "cover up a window"?

The price could be based on the carat weight, if the stone is a "big" one, which I suspect it is, or possibly based on a lab report stating it hasn''t been treated?

One must also realize that the auctions have to have things to sell. Pre-auction estimates are sometimes the result of reserve price negotiations between what the buyer will accept and what the auction is willing to state. Generally the auctions like low pre auction quotes, as it sparks interest from interested buyers. other times, just have a "zillion" dollar piece put up in a sparse auction, is preferred. Note that pre auction estimates and the actual minimum reserve prices are usually not the same.

A lot of this MAY be marketing at it best.

I have seen auction prices realized, that are incredibly excessive. Maybe the purchaser had more $$$$$$$ than "brains". In the "wealthy" world environment that is many times the case. Egos come into play in bidding at an auction.

Recently a double strand of pearls and brooch set brought over 7 million at auction. These were of course very large, high quality, old and notable pearls that were "named" - but 7 million? Seems a bit high. Then add the purchaser''s premium to the hammer price, and WOWIE!

As the saying goes...... something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But there had to be at least two buyers, as someone had the "slightly" lower previous bid to the winning one.

Rockdoc

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Maybe there''s a great provenance?

Prices seem somewhat overinflated - take the cab emerald earrings - I wouldn''t pay that price for them.

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
It looks like padparadscha color (pink and orange), and it may also be very large, and unheated. It may also be a lot nicer than the picture. Put all those factors together and you have a pretty expensive stone.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/29/2007 3:49:39 PM
Author: Lorelei
I have no idea, be interesting to see what the opinions are as to why it is so expensive...Did you see the pink pear diamond ring?????
18.gif
How about the blue oval HW??
30.gif

Probably a large unheated pad, as twodoor suggested, ger100.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results