shape
carat
color
clarity

Ugly jewelry store lights

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nala2000

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

Anyone got an idea what lights the jewelry stores use? I have a GIA certified J colored diamond that faces up white (although, in my bedroom with yellow walls I do see more of a yellowish tint). When I went into the jewelry store to look at rings my diamond looked more yellow than I have ever seen it........Ugh! In fact, the F and G''s they showed me also looked yellow. The ring shined like crazy but my goodness.......

Anyone else had this experience? Makes me want to trade in my beautiful J colored diamond....I loved it before seeing it under those Ugly lights!

Thanks
35.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
They use those lights on purpose! Don''t be fooled, keep your beautiful J!!!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I think your post is hilarious! I think my G stone is absolutely the most beautiful thing I''ve ever seen. EXCEPT when I go in the jewelry store! Their lights suck! My stone is awesome, awesome, awesome! I just don''t know what the deal is with their lighting. I have thought of writing this same post. Thanks for the good laugh, and enjoy your stone!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Enjoy your beautiful J diamond! Jewelry store lights are always weird...remember their goal is to get you to spend more money!

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Daughter and I were in a jewelry store here recently. First time visit. It''s one of, if not the nicest, shop in town.

All their stones had a bluish look to them. Not in an appealing sort of way either. Opalescent. Kind of hazy, milky looking too.

As we walked out, I asked Daughter, "Was that just me or did their diamonds look odd? Everything was bluish looking?" Daugther said the diamonds did look odd. She said "Weird!"

Your thread makes me wonder if it was the Store lighting that created that effect.
33.gif

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
I have a "K" stone that faces up white everywhere else but THOSE jewelry stores.

nala2000

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone...

I would think that they would have lights to optimize the beauty of diamonds to increase their sells. Hmmm.....
40.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don''t understand their lighting either. There''s a video on Good Old Gold that shows how jewelry store lighting can make poorly cut diamonds look "nicer" than ideal-cut ones. I can see why they do this, because most jewelry stores don''t have very well-cut rocks, and they want to make their product look better than it is. But I don''t see why they want to make everything look yellow!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2007 1:42:04 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I don''t understand their lighting either. There''s a video on Good Old Gold that shows how jewelry store lighting can make poorly cut diamonds look ''nicer'' than ideal-cut ones. I can see why they do this, because most jewelry stores don''t have very well-cut rocks, and they want to make their product look better than it is. But I don''t see why they want to make everything look yellow!
Can you give us that link on GOG?

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
I think the ugly lights are a universal thing. Here in Singapore, FI and I walked into a jewelry shop to have a just-for-fun look at their diamonds. Their IGI F colour was so tinted tt I couldn't help but whisper (audibly), "No way! OUR F colour stone is so much whiter!".
19.gif

However, at Tiffany, their lighting seems a little different, such tt I can't tell an I from a F!

nsaids_nurse420

Shiny_Rock
we went to the local jewelry stores here in ohio with new k colored xfactor engagement ring to look for diamond wedding bands. the lights were really wierd, and bf who knows nothing about diamonds asks the clerk to see a large princess diamond engagement ring, he asks her what color it is, she replies, it''s an I. it was clearly YELLOW. my k looked icy white against this so-called I. bf laughs when we got out to the car and argued that it couldn''t have been an I, but was more like a m or n, or even lower. i''m positive your J is fantastic.
9.gif

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
golly what a relief to read these posts. Only yesterday I was in a store trying on diamond bands with my J VVS1 1.03 ct and it looked horrible under their lights, yet the minute I stepped outside it was back to white again. I don''t understand because it surely makes their own stones look inferior too!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2007 2:36:11 PM
Author: cinnamon013
Date: 6/14/2007 1:42:04 PM

Author: jstarfireb

I don't understand their lighting either. There's a video on Good Old Gold that shows how jewelry store lighting can make poorly cut diamonds look 'nicer' than ideal-cut ones. I can see why they do this, because most jewelry stores don't have very well-cut rocks, and they want to make their product look better than it is. But I don't see why they want to make everything look yellow!
Can you give us that link on GOG?

Sure, it's one of the first 3 long videos...the "nature of fire" one. They compare a H&A to a steep/deep diamond, and they note that the steep/deep appears lighter under direct lighting. I just skimmed it now, and there's an explanation at about 12:00.

Here's the direct link to the video:
http://goodoldgold.com/videos/AssessmentofFire.wmv

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I work in a jewellers and I have to say my ring doesn''t look nice at all. I keep thinking its dirty but when I get outside my beautiful diamond starts to sing to me! I love seeing it in natural light!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results