shape
carat
color
clarity

UGH... what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
I''m looking to rent a place in Hawaii for a week to have a small destination wedding. I thought I had this great place all lined up and was ready to sign the contract and hand over the deposit. However, when I told him that I wanted to have a small wedding there, he asked for an additional $1K event fee and gave me a list of approved vendors.

I''m irked because the price for the week is already over $20K, the house accommodates 16 and all I want to do is to have another 4 people over and use the backyard for a short, intimate ceremony, followed by a casual catered dinner buffet. No dancing, totally mellow. If I hadn''t used the "W" word and instead said "Saturday night BBQ," would he have asked for that $1K "event fee"? If he wanted an additional security deposit to make sure we don''t trash the place, fine. But an extra grand for nothing???

So, I''m searching for other places. Should I keep my trap shut from now about the wedding or be up front? I feel like I''ll get gouged the second I say "wedding."
14.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
i would ask what the additional fees are for. Did you let them know how many people were coming to begin with?

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I would also ask what the fee''s are for. If he still tries to charge that then I''d tell him you decided not to do it there. Or you could say that you are just going to have a few people over. I don''t know, the fee seem''s strange.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Potentially for insurance maybe? But it still seems crazy. I''d haggle with him, I doubt he wants to lose $20k over a $1k fee!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Panda, I'm also planning a destination wedding (mine is in the Florida Keys) and exclusively wanted a large private residence to hold all of the events while also functioning as lodging for FI & I and our immediate families. Of the owners I contacted who actually allow weddings (most don't), 90% required a $1500-2000 wedding fee. Given that this arbitrary "wedding fee" includes nothing (not even liability insurance, which is another added fee), it made me pretty upset! Nevertheless, I think you need to be upfront about what you are using the house for, even if it is only a 20 person wedding. The rental contracts I've seen are very explicit about what events can and cannot take place.

I did eventually find and book a property that did not charge me a wedding fee - it was one of the most expensive properties we looked at, so an extra $1-2k would've definitely been a deal breaker. The owner did inform me that he's starting to charge a $1500 event fee (meaning any event with over 25 people), but since I booked on the cusp of that change, he's waiving it. Either I lucked out or he suspected I wasn't going to fall for any charges added on at the last minute.

Have you looked at the website http://www.vrbo.com? This is where I found my property. I found the owners much more straightforward and willing to negotiate than real estate agents.

galvana

Brilliant_Rock
yes i would keep my trap shut! as you put it, i would say we may have a bbq one night while we are there.
and THEN if they say something you after, say we decided to it last minute when we were there.
that is terrible that they try to charge extra $$ just cause you said wedding, but everyone does it!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I would ask what the extra fee is for too. That just seems weird and unfair. I hope he gives you a decent explanation.

Have you checked out www.perfectplaces.com to search for vacation rentals? I''ve browsed it a few times to find a place in Italy for a vacation and it seems very informative.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not sure what island you''ve been looking at, but look at this GORGEOUS property in Oahu that sleeps 18! $10K per week.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 9:49:16 AM
Author: Inanna
Panda, I''m also planning a destination wedding (mine is in the Florida Keys) and exclusively wanted a large private residence to hold all of the events while also functioning as lodging for FI & I and our immediate families. Of the owners I contacted who actually allow weddings (most don''t), 90% required a $1500-2000 wedding fee. Given that this arbitrary ''wedding fee'' includes nothing (not even liability insurance, which is another added fee), it made me pretty upset! Nevertheless, I think you need to be upfront about what you are using the house for, even if it is only a 20 person wedding. The rental contracts I''ve seen are very explicit about what events can and cannot take place.

I did eventually find and book a property that did not charge me a wedding fee - it was one of the most expensive properties we looked at, so an extra $1-2k would''ve definitely been a deal breaker. The owner did inform me that he''s starting to charge a $1500 event fee (meaning any event with over 25 people), but since I booked on the cusp of that change, he''s waiving it. Either I lucked out or he suspected I wasn''t going to fall for any charges added on at the last minute.

Have you looked at the website http://www.vrbo.com? This is where I found my property. I found the owners much more straightforward and willing to negotiate than real estate agents.

Thanks, Inanna, I''m glad you responded! I have used vrbo.com. That''s how I found the place I originally wanted. I am very frustrated with this "event fee" that includes nothing. I''m gonna look a bit more but if I can''t find someone flexible, then maybe I''ll have to change plans.

Thanks for the link to the Oahu house, I''ll check it out.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
I would be honest with him. Call the vendor and ask questions regarding the extra fee and express your dissapointment that it only came up after you let on about your wedding plans. Then you could always call his buff, and say, that you will need a few days to think about it, as you are now looking into other options that don''t charge an event fee. That might make him realise he is going to lose the big $$$

Although, as Neat said, it may have something to do with insurance. Maybe the insurance only covers a certain amount of people at the property, and he may have to pay extra. I am sure it''s not $1k extra, but you may be able to negotiate with him.

Good luck and keep us updated!!!!!!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 8:14:55 PM
Author: honey22
I would be honest with him. Call the vendor and ask questions regarding the extra fee and express your dissapointment that it only came up after you let on about your wedding plans. Then you could always call his buff, and say, that you will need a few days to think about it, as you are now looking into other options that don''t charge an event fee. That might make him realise he is going to lose the big $$$

Although, as Neat said, it may have something to do with insurance. Maybe the insurance only covers a certain amount of people at the property, and he may have to pay extra. I am sure it''s not $1k extra, but you may be able to negotiate with him.

Good luck and keep us updated!!!!!!

Ditto!!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 7:00:20 PM
Author: panda08
Date: 2/12/2009 9:49:16 AM

Author: Inanna

Thanks, Inanna, I''m glad you responded! I have used vrbo.com. That''s how I found the place I originally wanted. I am very frustrated with this ''event fee'' that includes nothing. I''m gonna look a bit more but if I can''t find someone flexible, then maybe I''ll have to change plans.

Thanks for the link to the Oahu house, I''ll check it out.

Definitely see if you can negotiate - if you''re paying $20k for the house, asking for an additional $1k seems kinda silly IMHO. Also, look at the booking calendar - is this house in high demand and booked every week for the next few immediate months, or are the bookings pretty sparse? This should give you an idea of what your chances are of striking a deal with this owner. In the mean time, keep looking for other houses and seek explicit information about all of the fees and other requirements they have, so that there aren''t any surprises. Also, if you find a $10-12k per week house that you like just as much, but that does charge the "wedding fee," you''re still saving money over the original house.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results