shape
carat
color
clarity

Ugh...home remedies please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Hi All!

Sorry to have been so absent lately...I''m finishing up 3 mos of intensive Arabic right now and getting used to the different pace of life here in Morocco.

I''ve come back to mine ya''lls advice on an embarrassing question--my stomach has decided it has had ENOUGH with the food poisoning already and as a result seems to be having trouble digesting *everything.*

I''ve read a heaping tablespoon of cumin and a spoonful or two of vinegar before each meal are good home remedies, and they do seem to be helping. Any other good home remedies? I don''t use Immodium as it can mask more serious illnessess here.

Not to be disgusting, but basically things aren''t digesting as they should, and a lot of air seems to be coming out both ends, as it were. Help is much appreciated! I''ve lost quite a bit of weight--I think about 15 lbs-- from this and various other illnesses I''ve had since I got here (broncitis, 2 bouts of food poisoning, and a flu) and am starting to worry about vitamins and such absorbing.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Honey!

No home remedies here, but you really might want to seek medical attention as soon as possible.
You may have some sort of intestinal parasite that is causing you distress.

I hope you feel better soon!

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Poor Rainbow : (

Let me second the idea of seeking medical attention (as tough as that might be right now)...

One of my housemates from college travelled to Morocco for a few months and had similar symptoms -- weight loss, intestinal distress, etc... Turns out he had a WHOPPING case of tapeworms... ugh! YAY for local food!

Seemed cool at the time (I was working in a parasitology research lab) but really, more UGH and OUCH than anything!

hope you feel better - SOON

Aussie : p

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I was actually thinking tapeworm when you mentioned 15 lbs. of weightloss... and I also agree about getting medical attention.

*M*

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
poptart : )

I promise, I''m NOT stalking you in these threads!

but yes... tapeworm is sounding like a prime supsect...

BLECH! and this is from someone who used to sit in a lab and ID parasites... I still get grossed out by them - RIDICULOUS!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 8:53:27 PM
Author: aussiegirl23
poptart : )

I promise, I''m NOT stalking you in these threads!

but yes... tapeworm is sounding like a prime supsect...

BLECH! and this is from someone who used to sit in a lab and ID parasites... I still get grossed out by them - RIDICULOUS!

I think we are accidentally stalking each other, hehe

*M*

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Oh gawwwd! I have always been terrified of tapeworm since my cats got them in elementary school. Honestly I had a little voice in the back of my head saying this might be it..

*sigh* You are probably right, I should try and find a doctor who will send me to a lab. I hate seeing the doctor here, they have no idea what sterile procedure is if it bit them on the a**.....

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
warning - gross post ahead:

if you are belching and farting and having green floating diarrhea you may have picked up giardia. i have had it twice.

here is a rather funny link
http://giardiaclub.com/giardia-symptoms.html

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yikes rainbow, definitely try to find a good doctor and take care of yourself!!! 15 lbs is a lot!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
seeking professional medical help is always a good idea.
2.gif

in the meantime, you may want to try eating some yogurt. the bacteria (live cultured) in it can help replace the beneficial bacteria (that aid in digestion) you lose during the more unfortunate events associated with food poisoning.

hope you feel better sooon!

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 9:50:03 PM
Author: ladykemma
warning - gross post ahead:

if you are belching and farting and having green floating diarrhea you may have picked up giardia. i have had it twice.

here is a rather funny link
http://giardiaclub.com/giardia-symptoms.html
Good thinking, LadyKemma! I grew up in the Middle East and giardia was one of those things we lived in fear of . . .

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I thought "giardia," too. I lived in a remote place in Africa. Been there, done that. Go get tested!

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys!

Update: Well, two days or so after I posted, the symptoms magically cleared up--but being of a suspicious nature, I went to see a doctor anyway.

He put me on Flagyl, same stuff Kit took. Am eating large quantities of yogurt and hoping for the best. Supposedly it can be hard to eradicate.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results