carat
color
clarity

U-V Diamond

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Ok technically not this forum but look at:

https://august-vintage-inc.myshopify.com/collections/august-vintage-moissanite

Maybe do some further reading on this. August Vintage is a pretty awesome brand and I would trust the cut - especially if you say you have Pricescope standards, Jonathan the guy who owns this is amazingly knowledgeable about cut and has a large presence on here although I have not tagged him in because a this is the wrong forum for it and b don't want to put you under pressure. But he is a cool guy I would have faith in him. Certainly you would be looking at something much more in budget.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Do you need to plug the hole in the setting?

A rock crystal bead would make me happier by orders of magnitude.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
Ok, I'm going to be honest, even if it means I sound stupid. Please let me know what you think.
My daughter's engagement ring (she is now divorced) has a CE diamond in the center. It has the above mentioned dimensions. She and her husband were sold the diamond knowing that it was clarity enhanced but ignorant to the fact that it was not worth the money they paid for it. The ring was appraised by the jeweler (HAHA) at $13K+. It is a very pretty ring, but the center stone makes it worthless. The surrounding diamonds in the halo setting are natural. She tried to sell the ring, but what she was offered was laughable. She wants the money for a down payment on a car. So I came up with the idea that I would change out the center stone (one that I either had or could get at a great price) and then sell the ring, thinking that I would do good, since the CE diamond would not be staring the purchaser in the face. The first thing they would say is, "You know, this is a clarity enhanced diamond, right?" I don't have a stone that size, so I was looking online. I know, maybe I should just give her the money instead of gambling on this working, right? It sounded good, until I didn't have the right size stone. Any suggestions?

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
One vote for leaving diamonds out of the picture - the CE might as well serve its term until an upgrade makes sense.

tuppence

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I'm going to be honest, even if it means I sound stupid. Please let me know what you think.
My daughter's engagement ring (she is now divorced) has a CE diamond in the center. It has the above mentioned dimensions. She and her husband were sold the diamond knowing that it was clarity enhanced but ignorant to the fact that it was not worth the money they paid for it. The ring was appraised by the jeweler (HAHA) at $13K+. It is a very pretty ring, but the center stone makes it worthless. The surrounding diamonds in the halo setting are natural. She tried to sell the ring, but what she was offered was laughable. She wants the money for a down payment on a car. So I came up with the idea that I would change out the center stone (one that I either had or could get at a great price) and then sell the ring, thinking that I would do good, since the CE diamond would not be staring the purchaser in the face. The first thing they would say is, "You know, this is a clarity enhanced diamond, right?" I don't have a stone that size, so I was looking online. I know, maybe I should just give her the money instead of gambling on this working, right? It sounded good, until I didn't have the right size stone. Any suggestions?

Never be scared of being honest. Your heart is in the correct place.

To be honest back, my immediate reaction here is that this is a difficult situation. I think there are some better options:

Remove the center CE diamond and sell the setting alone.

Attempt to sell the ring on the second hand market as is, you certainly won't get what was paid for it and you won't get what it was appraised for, but you haven't 'lost' any further money. So long as you provide all the certificate details and it's clear upfront what someone is buying, you never know, there may be a purchaser out there.

I think if you want to spend x amount of money on a stone you might as well just give her that money. If you put a new stone into that ring and then immediately try to sell it, you will never get back what you paid for it. That's just the nature of second-hand jewellery.

I certainly don't think putting the above U-V diamond into this setting will help sell this ring. It's a waste of your money.

If you remove the CE diamond what on earth would you do with it?

I can't think of any other good solutions but I don't think putting any further money into this ring when you're trying to sell it is a viable solution, it was a very kind thought of you but you would genuinely be better off and she would be better off if you just gave her the money directly if that had been your thought process.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and you would also have the unsetting and setting fee, too.

Don't do it, it doesn't make any financial sense.

Best of luck! :)
Agreed!! Definitely don't throw good money away trying to get more $$ on the second hand market. You'll always take a loss selling second hand, so buying a new stone makes no sense.

I would take the CE stone out and sell the setting only, or just sell it as it is. Unfortunately you'll take a loss in either case.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
My original thoughts were to put a diamond that I had in the ring. Many years ago, I took a chance on buying a diamond that was listed as untreated, with no report, having somewhat of a green color. It was listed as 1.78 cts., but I don't know if it is the right dimensions, since I have not looked at it. I have already spent the money on it and she would probably get it anyway when I pass, so my original intentions were to take the CE out and replace it with this ungraded greenish diamond. Would this be a viable solution?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually the more I think about it, the more I think you should just sell the ring as-is. Even paying the unsetting fee is silly and somewhat pointless.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
This way, I wouldn't be giving her money, per se.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
I have been posting and reading about the fees I would incur. You're right, that would be silly. Where do you suggest I try to sell it?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do not buy a new diamond! Definitely just have your daughter try to sell the ring as is! Don’t throw good money after bad. As others have said, it’d be much better for you to give her whatever money you want to buy a car. If she doesn’t want to directly accept the money, you can always say that she can pay you back whenever in the future and not really have specific expectations.

Regarding selling the existing ring, list it on eBay, idnid, FB market. What does she want to get out of it? I don’t know how the ring looks, but I’d be surprised if she gets more than 2k-2.5k and that is ok, it’s just the nature of the secondary market. Nonetheless, buying a new diamond will not fix that, so definitely scratch the idea.

P.S. look into the selling fees that each site charges and price your items accordingly.

dyb225

Rough_Rock
I am going to take the wonderful advice I got here. Thanks to everyone who listened to my silly ideas and coped with my stupidity and naivity. Thanks for listening and for chiming in. I really appreciate your time; I know how very valuable it is.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I am going to take the wonderful advice I got here. Thanks to everyone who listened to my silly ideas and coped with my stupidity and naivity. Thanks for listening and for chiming in. I really appreciate your time; I know how very valuable it is.

Please don't view yourself as stupid and naïve, you're neither, you were just trying to make the most of a bad situation and at least you posted here before going through with anything. You did research, and you listened to advice. That makes you the opposite of stupid. :geek2: Don't be so hard on yourself!

Best of luck!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dyb225, how about this...

Do not buy a new diamond. List the ring as is, but mostly advertise the setting. Mention that the diamond in it, although CE, would be work in a pendant so the buyer would be getting a little "bonus" per se. IDK... just throwing things out there. I wish you the best in a quick sale!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don't view yourself as stupid and naïve, you're neither, you were just trying to make the most of a bad situation and at least you posted here before going through with anything. You did research, and you listened to advice. That makes you the opposite of stupid. :geek2: Don't be so hard on yourself!

Best of luck!

This x100! You aren't any of those things, OP! You've opened up and come on PS to learn!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results