shape
carat
color
clarity

U.S. School cancels prom over ''lesbian date''

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I''m from the North, NYC.

From wht I''ve seen, racism exists up here just as much as it does in the south. Only difference is, northerners hide it better because of all the various ethnic groups they''re constantly surrounded with.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
ksinger - I''m in no doubt about the realities of racism... and the UK''s history.

What suprised me was that I tend to regard most of the posters on PS as being rather more enlightened and progressive than the average - certainly those who are frequent posters, not drive-by e-ring hunters.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I think the school is horribly bigoted and that they get all that is coming to them. I think they wanted to avoid notice as much as possible and that the national media is the perfect result. Now if we could do something about the segragated proms that do still happen in a few (very few) towns in the south.

As for the southern thing, I get such conflicting stories. On the one hand, Mississippi did not ratify the 13th amendment until 1993
23.gif

On the other hand, there is the story of my friend. He looks Jewish, not that there is a Jewish look, but he really does look straight out of any caricuture you have ever seen. He was driving alone and was passing through rural Alabama and stopped for gas. The guy who ran the place stopped, stared at him and asked: "Are you a genuine Jesus killer?". My friend was nervious but would not deny his faith and agreed he was. The guy then said: "well how bout that, I never met one before" and excitedly shook my friend''s hand!

So I think like all the places I have ever known, there is the good, the bad and the ugly.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
4/4/2010 4:34:40 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy

On the other hand, there is the story of my friend. He looks Jewish, not that there is a Jewish look, but he really does look straight out of any caricuture you have ever seen. He was driving alone and was passing through rural Alabama and stopped for gas. The guy who ran the place stopped, stared at him and asked: 'Are you a genuine Jesus killer?'. My friend was nervious but would not deny his faith and agreed he was.
I am going to have to assume that this story got garbled in the retelling, for what person in his right mind would sign up for being a "Jesus killer" to a stranger he met on an Alabama highway? I don't think so!

It would be proper to remind the "gentleman" from Alabama that the "Jesus killer" probably looked a lot like the man whom he worshipped as the son of God given that he appeared to be a Christian and that Jesus lived and died a Jew.

AGBF
34.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 7:10:45 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
4/4/2010 4:34:40 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy

On the other hand, there is the story of my friend. He looks Jewish, not that there is a Jewish look, but he really does look straight out of any caricuture you have ever seen. He was driving alone and was passing through rural Alabama and stopped for gas. The guy who ran the place stopped, stared at him and asked: ''Are you a genuine Jesus killer?''. My friend was nervious but would not deny his faith and agreed he was.
I am going to have to assume that this story got garbled in the retelling, for what person in his right mind would sign up for being a ''Jesus killer'' to a stranger he met on an Alabama highway? I don''t think so!

It would be proper to remind the ''gentleman'' from Alabama that the ''Jesus killer'' probably looked a lot like the man whom he worshipped as the son of God given that he appeared to be a Christian and that Jesus lived and died a Jew.

AGBF
34.gif
What I meant was that here was a man who had been told his whole life that Jews were the devil, that they were evil, etc. But when one walks into his store, he did not get upset, prostalytize, curse or treat him badly. Instead, he was happy to meet someone who was different.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I must not have been in a good mood when I responded to your posting, b_i_h. I apologize for my less than positive attidude. I am, actually, grateful for all the people in the world who tolerate diversity and welcome people who look, sound, and act different from themselves. It is gift to have those people among us and it is what leads us to pockets of peace and sanity in the world. I know it is not the fault of those fundamentalist Christians who are taught that Jews have horns or that Jews killed Jesus. (And I know that this is not the mainstream Christian teaching. I am from a Christian family.) I just get tired of the historical ignorance of Christians who do not know that their faith is based is Judiasm.

I hope that this is not viewed as discussing religion. I see it as historical and intellectual since we are not exchanging our personal views on anything, but if the moderators feel that this crosses the line into a discussion of religion, please let me know here or by e-mail and I will desist as I want to remain within the Pricescope guidelines which has always forbidden discussion of religion and now forbids discussion of politics.
AGBF
34.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 5:31:28 PM
Author: movie zombie
and it got worse on ''prom'' night: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/05/constance-mcmillen-fake-p_n_525856.html

another separate and unequal.

the judge certainly got it wrong in thinking she and her girlfriend would be allowed to attend the alternative prom: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/emma-rubysachs/lesbian-teen-prom-update_b_526814.html

gotta hand it to the girl for having a positive attitude and the disabled students for continuing to party.

mz
So if I understand this correctly, the parents set up a prom so the judge would be ok with it, canceled it, and set up a fake prom to send the undesirables to while everyone else partied elsewhere?!? This is dispicable. Whether or not people approve of homosexuality, to do it to her and the kids with learning disabilities are sick. Good for her for being so upbeat about it and nice, I would be homicidal.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
It just got better. The school not only wouldn''t run her picture in the yearbook, they cut her out of it entirely. She has been at the school her entire schooling and they added a guy who dropped out, but her name or picture don''t appear anywhere in the yearbook. I am so mad I could drive down there and thrash them myself.
Whether or not you agree with her preference, cutting her out and ignoring her academic achievements as though she were not human is never ok.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just don''t understand how anyone can be that mean.

mz

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2010 2:25:33 AM
Author: movie zombie
i just don''t understand how anyone can be that mean.

mz
People just ARE mean. We all have it in us to be monsters, every last one of us, which is a very sobering and humbling thought, to my mind. Virtually anyone, in the right circumstances, will commit atrocities. It''s pretty much only upbringing that makes us civilized humans and not malevolent sentient animals, and most times even that can''t root it out of us entirely.

It''s a real pity we can''t discuss this topic like it should be discussed. (and no, that isn''t a dig at anyone, just an observation about limitations)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, we all have it in us to be "mean"....some more so than others.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you: not very hard to understand, imo.

mz

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
That''s sad
38.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
What a let-down for all the students. I think the school handled things terribly. I mean, the education and welfare of children should be number one for them, right? And because one student asks (asks, mind, not shows up with a petrol bomb demanding she get her way) to step outside their lines, they shut the whole thing down, thereby turning her into a target?? Even if she had shown up asking could she set up a stall selling crack, it''s still not an action that I can imagine would be endorsed by any educator. It just doesn''t teach anybody anything good, and can only promote resentment and division.

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
so ridiculous
14.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2010 7:55:23 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
It''s pathetic when the people whose job it is to advance civilization and enligntenment choose to keep living in the dark ages.

Ditto.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm so glad this young woman has support around her....and apparently has had such for some time. proves there are good people every where who will stand up and do the right thing. however, it is through the bravery of such young women that change happens. i congratulate them and wish them the very best.

MoZo

ps re the litigation: the vindictive side of me hopes they get enough $ to pay for their college expenses.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results