shape
carat
color
clarity

U.S. prices versus European

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aceman

Rough_Rock
I am sure this may have already been covered before, but I just registered to this site. I am inquiring about the difference in price of a 2 carat diamond. The quality should be around E color and VS1 or VS2 clarity and certified by a respectable organization (GIA or a european equivalent which I beleive is HRD if I remeber correctly). I recieved a quote from some jewellers in Houston for the high 20K range (total). However, I heard a friend of mine purchase a 2 carat diamond in Germany for a total of 10K. I am sorry, but I do not have the actual quality of the diamond that was purchased. I do know that it is of high quality (around E and VS1 or VS2). Can someone please shed some light on this. It would seem to be worth it in this case to take a quick trip to Europe to purchase the diamond and save 10K. It also sounds to good to be true. Thanks!

astogie

Rough_Rock
Hello and welcome...

First what shape are you looking for? If it is round (ideal) then I think you should spend some time looking around on this site before you set your mind on E and VS....you will find many folks here with F, G, H, and even I color SI1 and SI2 diamonds that have great cuts and look WHITE and CLEAN.

I know this becuase when I stated my search I was all about the D-E-F VVS stones...until I spent some time here and found that you can get a great stone outside of these ranges.

As for price, click on the spricscope tab above and put in your stats 1.9-2 carats, color, clarity, etc and take a look at the prices, you should be able to find good stone like the one you are seeking for a little less or little more than 20k....not high 20's.

Change your sights to a G-H SI1 with a great cut and you are talking about 14k-22k

take a look at this site...great info and this stone
http://www.goodoldgold.com/2_058ct_h_si2_h&a.htm

Or go just under 2 carats and get this stone for 17k...

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_84ct_g_vs1__h&a.htm

Goood luck, Germany in not the place to learn about and buy diamonds...this site is.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I haven't priced stones in Europe in the past couple of years, so maybe it's changing with the Internet. But it used to be that the European dealers were more conservative about the proper distribution channels than the US, and were trying to protect the retail markup of their channels. Thus, they wouldn't make great deals with one-off consumers. I'd confirm the details on the one you heard about -- could have been a big quality difference -- you're looking for a high-end stone
appl.gif

A quick search on the cut quality engine here shows a couple of 2.0x F VS stones with great cuts in the $22k - $25k range. My bet is that you can find a lot more if you do your own leg work to find crown and pav. angles (since the GIA certs don't give them automatically.) Do some searches on super-ideal or ideal cuts and then contact the venders of the ones that look the most promising for the sarin info. I'm betting you can find something in the high teens or low 20s. (Just a semi-informed bet tho -- you'll have to do some leg work, but that should be less time comsuming than running over to Europe
twirl.gif
.)

good luck !
wavey.gif

lovesparkles

Rough_Rock
Hi Aceman,
I'm in Houston too. Which shops quoted you the high-20k prices?
eek.gif
I've had similar experiences with some of the B&M stores here.

I know Whiteflash is based in Houston and many people on this board have had excellent experiences with them. Maybe they would let you visit in person?

lovesparkles

aceman

Rough_Rock
I have been purchasing jewelry from Bailey Banks and Biddle off of Post Oak. They have very good service there!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
However, I heard a friend of mine purchase a 2 carat
diamond in Germany for a total of 10K. I am sorry,
but I do not have the actual quality of the diamond
that was purchased. I do know that it is of high
quality (around E and VS1 or VS2).
-----------

$10,000 is too cheap for a properly graded 2 carat E/VS stone. That's a stone which is probably going to cost you more in the $18-22,000 range through the internet and $20-26,000 through bricks and mortar stores (VS1 is considerably more expensive than VS2).

I don't know what the fellow bought for $10,000 in Germany, but it wasn't an E/VS stone, unless he bought it through a "distressed" sale of some sort. Or he might think it's an E/VS stone, but would find out different if he had it properly graded by a reputable laboratory.

From what I have seen purchased in Europe, you usually can get as good a price or better in the US, particular through a major metropolitan dealer or the internet.

Evalina

Rough_Rock
In my experience the prices and selection of quality diamonds are better in the US. I live in the UK, and after quite a bit of research and shopping around I found the US internet sites to be the best way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results