shape
carat
color
clarity

Typical Necklace Length

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
What would you say is the typical length of a necklace for a female? I want to get my girlfriend a necklace and have no clue what length to get. She''s an average size female, not overweight at all, so what would be a safe length?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Depends on the style of necklace. I'm 5'4 and slim. Close to the neck for me is 16". This might be a little to tight for the average woman though. A slight drop on me would be 18". Medium drop would be 20 or 22".

What style of necklace do you have in mind? Something like a bezel-set diamond would look best close to the neck rather than hanging down, IMO. A large or heavy pendant would look better in a longer style.
1.gif

Diamondlil

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
I'm thinking about one of the 3-stone drop necklaces. It has a bar with 3 diamonds on it aligned vertically.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
If it were for me (wish it was, they are lovely), I would go with 16 or possibly 18 inches. I'm slim so 16 is not tight on my neck by any means. That would have it sitting high on my chest and would show with just about anything I would wear it with. Does she have any other necklaces that you like the length of? Maybe you can sneak off and measure it when she is not looking.
9.gif

Diamondlil

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm also 5'4" and slim and wear both 16 and 18 inch chains with success
1.gif
I think the 16" length looks good with smaller pendants and the 18 with bigger or heavier pendants.

This really does come down to style preference. You can always buy an 18" and have your GF try it and then get it shortened if she likes the 16" better. Or you can have a length adjuster put on the back of the chain so she can wear it both lengths depending upon the neckline of her shirt.

Michelle

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im a guy just incase you didnt know lol.
Iv been there and had to figure it out also.
This is what I came up with.

What kind of tops does she normaly wear in the setting she will be wearing the necklace?
Something fairly high you want to get a shorter chain.
Something lower cut a longer chain.

16" fits a lot of women and but can be tight on some.
Unless she likes tight necklaces and wears high top clothes Id pass on them.

18" fits just about anyone and is a good comprimise.

20" for someone who wears lower cut tops.

22" or longer is too long unless she has a larger neck or small neck and very low cut top.

Keep in mind that 20" or longer will need more weight in the pendant to keep it from flipping and flopping as will a heavier chain.
If being around little kids is in the picture go with a slighly heavier chain in the stronger styles. ie: box chain and stay away from Herringbone Chains as iv found them to be very weak.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Box chains have a very distinct look. Every jeweler I spoke with kept recommending one for me for my diamonnd pendant because I have two small children, but every friend I spoke with said stay away from them because they just don't look right on me! lol

Are twisted wheat chains strong enough? Maybe this would be good instead.

Michelle

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also wanted to add that the chains that come bundled with most pendants are thin chinsey junk.
They sell for around $30-$50 usualy and arent very good quality.
A good chain will usualy cost 2x-3x that or better.
They will usualy give you a credit for that amount if you dont want the chain.
Gold chain is a very high markup item so shop around and there is nothing that says you have to buy them the same place.

Buy the chain seperate if at all possible.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Michelle,
My mom didnt have very good luck with the one she had.
It was always breaking where the clasp was connected to the chain.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/15/2004 3:00:23 PM strmrdr wrote:

Michelle,
My mom didnt have very good luck with the one she had.
It was always breaking where the clasp was connected to the chain.----------------

That's too bad. It's a cute styled chain. Hopefully mine holds up okay. . .my kids have yet to properly test it out. lol

Michelle

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer a solid (not hollow)round link close curb chain for most pendants. Cost about in the $80 plus range. Pendants will slide easily on such a chain, it's unlikely to break (I sleep in mine), is understated and it won't stick to your skin like herringbone chains if you get hot. Snake chains are quite nice but can kink if you're not careful.

As others have said, 18 inch is a good compromise unless your g/f is very tiny or likes to wear her pendants up very high or very low.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
You might consider an 18" with an adjustment ring to make it 16". This is a nice concept since it would let her vary the length with what she is wearing. However, I have never had one of these, so I don't know if the chain would slip around and look odd when adjusted, or even just with the extra ring. Someone here might have input on that. I just had a jeweler recommend that to me recently for my pendant.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hiya Bagpuss!!

Good to see you again!

win

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/23/2004 7:15:35 PM lop wrote:

You might consider an 18' with an adjustment ring to make it 16'. This is a nice concept since it would let her vary the length with what she is wearing. However, I have never had one of these, so I don't know if the chain would slip around and look odd when adjusted, or even just with the extra ring. Someone here might have input on that. I just had a jeweler recommend that to me recently for my pendant. ----------------

I've never owned an adjustable length necklace but would bet they only look good if covered by long hair in the back.

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree on the 18" with a ring for 16".

That is what I had done for my platinum Regent necklace...the jump ring is SO small it almost looks like a mistake in the loop, but it's just the right side to hold the clasp closed. Also in terms of what 'hangs down'..I would probably only use the 16" jump ring when I had my hair down or wore a higher collared shirt in the back.

Though to be really honest...I am taller...5'8" and I don't like 15 and 16 inch necklaces, I feel like I am being choked. I was afraid the 18" would be too long but in reality, it's PERFECT. It really lays quite well.

I also second the 'original chains are cheap' comment...if this is going to be a somewhat pricey necklace...worth it to invest in a good chain. Maybe not something you have to buy, but an option for your friend. Our platinum 18" chain for the Regent was something like $150 (discounted from $200 by jeweler)...so not too bad at all and I feel confident in it. I also wanted a very unobtrusive chain...not into box chains that are bulky. I forget what type of chain this is..but its very delicate.

So if you aren't really sure..I second the 18" with 16" ring.
1.gif
Give your friend the necklace and then offer a suggestion she think about changing out the chain IF it feels flimsy or she is worried.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara,
Does the 2" tail flapping around get caught up in your hair?
Im thinking it would but am interested to know if that is the case.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I haven't actually worn the necklace at 16" ... I find that I am more than happy with 18". But 2" is not that much length...it's not as though it's a huge trailing thing. It would basically just lay against the neck and most likely be tucked under a shirt or similar anyhow. The only time that it would present a problem most likely would be if a low-backed shirt was worn and hair was up or was short. But then again...for me that's so infrequent and the 16" is more of a fluke than a norm for me...that it wasn't a problem when I agreed to the 18/16 split.
2.gif

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All my chains are 16".
Even when I get a chain that is longer, say 18", I have it shortened to 16".
I think Mara's idea of putting a little loop to lengthen and shorten the chain is a great idea.
2.gif

If worse comes to worse, you can always get it sized to 17".
naughty.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results