shape
carat
color
clarity

Tycoon buys $48m blue diamond at auction for daughter

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34795005

"Joseph Lau confirmed he bought the ring-mounted, cushion-shaped stone for his seven-year-old daughter, renaming it "Blue Moon of Josephine" after her.
Auction house Sotheby's said the sale had set "a new world auction record for any diamond of any colour".
It is not the first time Lau, a property billionaire, has bought precious stones for his daughter.
The businessman - who was convicted of bribery and money laundering in 2014 - is also confirmed as the buyer of a 16.08-carat pink diamond, which Christie's sold for $28.5m on Tuesday.
It has been renamed "Sweet Josephine", a spokeswoman for Mr Lau told BBC News.
In 2009, he bought another blue diamond for his daughter - the 7.03-carat "Star of Josephine" - paying what was then a record $9.5m.
He was sentenced to five years in jail after his corruption convictions in a Macau court, but has avoided prison by not visiting the territory. There is no extradition treaty between Macau and Hong Kong."

Must be nice to be his daughter! :lol: Except for the whole corruption conviction thing... :???:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!

The hue looks more sapphire-like.
But FCDs can be so surprising!

screen_shot_2015-11-12_at_7.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably just a bad picture? Then again, most blue diamonds are very drab and gray looking in person. I think this one looks better than most I've seen (in pictures, discounting those that have been photoshopped for magazine covers).

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
... for his 7 year old.

Quite a starter diamond ....

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to be totally cynical, but could there be a financial reason behind why he is doing this such as it being a gift to daughter, cannot be seized by the government in case he is convicted of something but as she is a minor he could take it back if he is needing funds, or a way to money-launder? Beautiful stone but not something a 7 year old would appreciate.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1447343459|3948772 said:
Not to be totally cynical, but could there be a financial reason behind why he is doing this such as it being a gift to daughter, cannot be seized by the government in case he is convicted of something but as she is a minor he could take it back if he is needing funds, or a way to money-launder? Beautiful stone but not something a 7 year old would appreciate.

Like you, I think he is using these gifts to her as an excuse to cover up his tracks and as a safety net/haven of sorts for his money.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Daddy is a crook, I'm sure they heartily enjoy spending other people's money.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's completely creepy and unhealthy spending multi-millions on diamonds for a daughter and naming them after her with such sugary names, too. It's like some kind of worship. Especially weird given that she's only seven. I think this is more appropriate behavior towards an adult partner. And good luck to the daughter with finding a husband who can measure up to Daddy's worship when she's older!

ETA: The thought crossed my mind about it being a financial decision, but it's an odd one - there are tons of ways of hiding money in trusts and offshore accounts, etc. I think it's more likely that he's a very strange individual than that he's making smart financial moves.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe|1447343213|3948770 said:
... for his 7 year old.

SERIOUSLY.

But this is basically him protecting his money and putting it all in her name so it cannot be seized should he be put in jail.

nycspring

Shiny_Rock
ame said:
Circe|1447343213|3948770 said:
... for his 7 year old.

SERIOUSLY.

But this is basically him protecting his money and putting it all in her name so it cannot be seized should he be put in jail.

Definitely!

"In 2009, he bought another blue diamond for his daughter - the 7.03-carat "Star of Josephine" - paying what was then a record $9.5m."

So her starter diamond was at age 1 and "only" 7 carats.......!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I find it really odd because while they may be financial decisions, he is making them completely public. I would think that there are easier and less transparent ways to hide money. I also wonder why he allowed them to publish that he was the buyer. I too think he must be a weird person. Also wonder why he is not gifting an adult woman but then again that may be for matrimonial property laws.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree a lot of the sheiks and high end businessmen that end up with these sorts of stones have agents that buy them and their names are never published. The guy that bought it obviously wants everyone to know about it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i heard he got this and the pink oval.... :confused:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Daddy!!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! Wonder what she will do with it when she gets older.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1447343650|3948777 said:
Most of his money was made from real estate and stock investments. Yes, some were from corruption.

btw; Mr. Lau is very well known for sleeping with every female movie star in HK... :naughty:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1447461251|3949426 said:
Mr. Lau is very well known for sleeping with every female movie star in HK... :naughty:

Wow, that's a lot of sleeping.
He must have been very tired.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1447465469|3949444 said:
Mr. Lau is very well known for sleeping with every female movie star in HK... :naughty:

Wow, that's a lot of sleeping.
He must have been very tired.
:naughty:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1447343650|3948777 said:
Most of his money was made from real estate and stock investments. Yes, some were from corruption.

btw; Mr. Lau is very well known for sleeping with every female movie star in HK... :naughty:

Maybe he will name the next diamond "not tonight Josephine" if that is the case :lol:

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
chrono said:

Like you, I think he is using these gifts to her as an excuse to cover up his tracks and as a safety net/haven of sorts for his money.

+3. This was my first thought as well. I haven't done any research to confirm if he is still married to Josephine's mother, but if he is, why wouldn't he gift the jewels to his wife? Unless he is trying to protect them from being seized as a joint asset, that is...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tuffyluvr|1447532218|3949676 said:
chrono said:

+3. This was my first thought as well. I haven't done any research to confirm if he is still married to Josephine's mother, but if he is, why wouldn't he gift the jewels to his wife? Unless he is trying to protect them from being seized as a joint asset, that is...
He will always take good of his mistresses first... :wink2:

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Y'all ar too funny! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results