shape
carat
color
clarity

Two weeks in Costa Rica - lots of pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2010 8:31:37 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
It looks SO gorgeous BEG, I love that you documented so much of your trip. And the GREEN! Everything is green and gorgeous and so many animals, I love it. I''m glad you had such a good time! (And didn''t get lost
2.gif
)

Thanks MP! I actually wanted to do a travel blog while I was there and I totally forgot until the day I got back - oops.
3.gif
I guess it wouldn''t have worked out so well anyway since I had internet only every once in a while and on my phone (not the greatest for typing out blog entries) but I think the pictures will do!

And yes, miraculously BF didn''t lose anything once I arrived
2.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2010 9:13:52 PM
Author: IndyLady
I love the pictures BEG! CR looks gorgeous!

Thanks Indy! It''s really beautiful - I wouldn''t mind retiring there someday
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a wonderful trip! Thanks so much for sharing the pics, I really enjoyed seeing them. They are beautiful!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh how RELAXING it looks! Did you come back happy and refreshed?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your pictures are fabulous, BEG! It sounds like you had an amazing trip. I love all the animals!

I hope you had as much fun as it looks like you did, you deserve it! The semester is almost over, right? Is it too early to start a countdown?
3.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2010 6:20:33 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Date: 4/3/2010 1:59:29 AM
Author: Harleigh
BEG...your photos are amazing and it looks like you had a fantastic time!

I seriously think some of your photos look like they should be in brochures for the place...now I''m thinking I not only need to take a trip to Costa Rica, but a new camera to record everything on!

I love that you went ziplining...it was the best thing we did while we were in Maui for our wedding...I would love to go again.

I also think it''s hysterical that you can''t swim either...I was afraid to try snorkeling after a bad experience several years ago, so I brought my own kickboard with me that I''d practiced with here at home in the pool before leaving, and I did pretty well. I REALLY want to get one of those float belts like they have on the snorkeling cruises...those were a huge lifesaver, but in a pinch I could always float on a life vest!

So glad you had a good time, and thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos!

Thanks Harleigh! It''s great to see you back on PS! Ooh ziplining in Maui - that must have been amazing! I''m so glad I''m not the only one who can''t swim
3.gif
I actually had to use the life jacket - it made it super easy to float on my stomach though! BF was teasing me, saying we could get me some floaties next time like the little kids wear, lol.
Thanks, BEG! I am so happy to "be" back!!!

Oh, gosh, that''s great! DH wouldn''t let me take floaties...I tried to convince him they would be easy to take because I could deflate them for packing and they''d take up next to no room. Sadly, I had to settle for the kickboard, which was great on the way there because it was practically weightless, but it didn''t dry very well before our return flight home and made a mess of everything!

Ziplining was the best, and no swimming involved...I loved it!
30.gif

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
BEG thanks for shifting through your many many pictures and posting the cream of the crop. Going through them felt like a mini-cation in itself! I have a friend from Costa Rica who is always bragging about how beautiful her country is... Now I know what I''ve been missing out on. Best of luck to you in finishing up the semester!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful and exciting vacation Brown.Eyed.Girl!
Thanks so much for sharing your photos! I just love the animals- how beautiful and the scenery too
30.gif

Looks amazing and so glad you had a great time!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So cool of you to post all these pictures!

It looks like you had a great time - Costa Rica looks beautiful!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Amazing vacation B.E.G., - thanks for sharing Pics!

I loved the sloth! zip-lining sounds like sooo much fun.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Luv2sparkle, Packrat, Haven, Onvacation, Missy, CJ and Hopedream for all your nice comments! I''m glad you guys liked the pictures!

Packrat I did! Although I wish I was still there rather than going back to classes in Chicago!

Haven Yup, almost done! I need to get started on my bar application now - graduating from law school with the bar exam looming is definitely a bit more stressful than graduating from college, for sure
3.gif
Never too early to start a countdown though!

Harleigh Aww he should''ve let you take the floaties! They are totally portable, right? Though the kickboard sounds like a good option too (except for the not drying out part). Our last day in Manuel Antonio, we checked out of the hotel, went snorkeling, ate lunch and planned to take the 5 PM bus to San Jose - I figured a few hours would be enough to dry out my swimsuit. Yeah...not so much - not quite a fun bus ride to SJ
3.gif

Onvacation I''m glad you liked the pics! You should go visit your friend! Where in CR does she live?

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 8:56:23 PM
Thanks Luv2sparkle, Packrat, Haven, Onvacation, Missy, CJ and Hopedream for all your nice comments! I''m glad you guys liked the pictures!

Packrat I did! Although I wish I was still there rather than going back to classes in Chicago!

Haven Yup, almost done! I need to get started on my bar application now - graduating from law school with the bar exam looming is definitely a bit more stressful than graduating from college, for sure
3.gif

Harleigh Aww he should''ve let you take the floaties! They are totally portable, right? Though the kickboard sounds like a good option too (except for the not drying out part). Our last day in Manuel Antonio, we checked out of the hotel, went snorkeling, ate lunch and planned to take the 5 PM bus to San Jose - I figured a few hours would be enough to dry out my swimsuit. Yeah...not so much - not quite a fun bus ride to SJ
3.gif

Onvacation I''m glad you liked the pics! You should go visit your friend! Where in CR does she live?
Oh my goodness, I totally forgot to mention that before we left for our trip, I ordered prescription snorkel masks and fins of our own, because I figured if I was actually going to get into the dang water to snorkel, I was sure as heck going to SEE what on earth it was lying beneath the surface of the ocean! DH and I are both practically blind without our glasses, so this was the first time I''ve actually been able to see while snorkeling...the only thing that would''ve made it better was if I could actually swim on my own...I''m looking into those dang floaties, I tell ya!!!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Looks like such a fun trip, I''m glad you guys had a great time!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
GREAT pics BEG!! I''m so glad you shared!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Wow!! It looks beautiful. Bravo for having enough courage to zipcord your way through.
36.gif

The photos are amazing and it sounds like you had such a great time. Those treehouses are to die for.

Was it hot and humid?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 2:39:41 AM

3.gif

3.gif

Oh my goodness, I totally forgot to mention that before we left for our trip, I ordered prescription snorkel masks and fins of our own, because I figured if I was actually going to get into the dang water to snorkel, I was sure as heck going to SEE what on earth it was lying beneath the surface of the ocean! DH and I are both practically blind without our glasses, so this was the first time I''ve actually been able to see while snorkeling...the only thing that would''ve made it better was if I could actually swim on my own...I''m looking into those dang floaties, I tell ya!!!

Ooh that''s a good idea! I totally know what you mean - I didn''t start wearing contacts until high school and I didn''t want to do anything that involved putting my head in water because I wouldn''t be able to see. Now I don''t have that problem (got LASIK surgery a year ago) but I still don''t like putting my head underwater/opening my eyes underwater.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 10:14:31 AM
Author: purselover
Looks like such a fun trip, I''m glad you guys had a great time!

Thanks Purselover!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 12:44:06 PM
Author: OUpeargirl
GREAT pics BEG!! I''m so glad you shared!

Thanks OUpear! I love your new av - did your get the ring yet?? Any handshots for us?

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2010 10:23:04 PM

3.gif

3.gif

Ooh that''s a good idea! I totally know what you mean - I didn''t start wearing contacts until high school and I didn''t want to do anything that involved putting my head in water because I wouldn''t be able to see. Now I don''t have that problem (got LASIK surgery a year ago) but I still don''t like putting my head underwater/opening my eyes underwater.
I know exactly what you mean...I feel like such a putz because I''m afraid to put my face in the water, and I have so much trouble with contacts I didn''t dare try them while snorkeling! I was going to try to get LASIK this year using my flex spending account, but I''ve had some back trouble and have had to put my money towards that this year instead. Maybe next year, but if we buy a house soon, that might not be in the cards for me for a while longer...sigh...

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2010 8:39:05 PM
Back to San Jose - the Central Valley

Breathtaking! Amazing photos. Thank you so much for sharing, BEG!
9.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 2:34:14 AM

3.gif

3.gif

I know exactly what you mean...I feel like such a putz because I''m afraid to put my face in the water, and I have so much trouble with contacts I didn''t dare try them while snorkeling! I was going to try to get LASIK this year using my flex spending account, but I''ve had some back trouble and have had to put my money towards that this year instead. Maybe next year, but if we buy a house soon, that might not be in the cards for me for a while longer...sigh...

Oh no! I''m sorry to hear about your back. Are you doing ok now?

And when you get the chance, LASIK is definitely worth it! Definitely one of the best purchases I''ve made ever - I love not having to bother with contacts, glasses, etc. - it''s SO nice. Though the first few hours after the surgery weren''t too fun - thank goodness they give you painkillers to knock you out for a while!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 2:52:56 PM
Author: katamari
Date: 4/2/2010 8:39:05 PM

Back to San Jose - the Central Valley

Breathtaking! Amazing photos. Thank you so much for sharing, BEG!
9.gif

Thank you for looking! I''m glad you liked the pics!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
you took such amazing pictures, thank you for sharing! Everything sounds like it was so much fun!

I wish I had the guts to travel, but the thought makes me go
32.gif
which is sad because there are so many amazing experiences to be had

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 11:26:59 PM

3.gif

3.gif

Oh no! I''m sorry to hear about your back. Are you doing ok now?

And when you get the chance, LASIK is definitely worth it! Definitely one of the best purchases I''ve made ever - I love not having to bother with contacts, glasses, etc. - it''s SO nice. Though the first few hours after the surgery weren''t too fun - thank goodness they give you painkillers to knock you out for a while!
Thanks BEG...my back is still messed up, but nothing I''ve tried seems to be working, and it''s just sucking my FSA dry. I think I''m going to break down and get new glasses this spring since it''s been over two years since my last prescription, but I''m hoping in another year or two I''ll be able to do the LASIK. Funny thing is that DH really likes the way I look in glasses, and I personally can''t stand it! I would rather be glasses free all the time! He will always have to wear glasses since he has keloid scars and they won''t do any vision-correction surgery on people who don''t scar properly as they can''t guarantee the eyes will heal. I''m all about taking advantage of the painkillers, personally, but DH would probably go nuts listening to me whine!

May I ask what area you had your surgery done in? There are a few Lasik surgeons here with good but mixed reviews from people I know, and that just makes me nervous. At the rate I''m going I''m just going to let Kaiser go at me and see how it turns out! Ha!
32.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2010 12:35:35 AM
Author: kas baby
you took such amazing pictures, thank you for sharing! Everything sounds like it was so much fun!

I wish I had the guts to travel, but the thought makes me go
32.gif
which is sad because there are so many amazing experiences to be had

Thank you Kas! It was a lot of fun!

Can I ask, why are you afraid to travel?

It''s actually interesting for me, because I''m kind of timid about traveling on my own (like I''ll do it in Europe, or in Japan, etc.) but not in South America or Africa, whereas BF is seriously an intrepid traveler. He backpacked by himself throughout Asia when he was living there, including arriving at like 3 AM in Calcutta with no hotel/hostel booked). He wants to go to northern Iraq and North Korea next year too. Whereas I like my safe travels
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2010 1:51:10 AM
Date: 4/6/2010 11:26:59 PM

Thanks Luv2sparkle, Packrat, Haven, Onvacation, Missy, CJ and Hopedream for all your nice comments! I'm glad you guys liked the pictures!

3.gif

Harleigh Aww he should've let you take the floaties! They are totally portable, right? Though the kickboard sounds like a good option too (except for the not drying out part). Our last day in Manuel Antonio, we checked out of the hotel, went snorkeling, ate lunch and planned to take the 5 PM bus to San Jose - I figured a few hours would be enough to dry out my swimsuit. Yeah...not so much - not quite a fun bus ride to SJ
3.gif

Onvacation I'm glad you liked the pics! You should go visit your friend! Where in CR does she live?
Oh my goodness, I totally forgot to mention that before we left for our trip, I ordered prescription snorkel masks and fins of our own, because I figured if I was actually going to get into the dang water to snorkel, I was sure as heck going to SEE what on earth it was lying beneath the surface of the ocean! DH and I are both practically blind without our glasses, so this was the first time I've actually been able to see while snorkeling...the only thing that would've made it better was if I could actually swim on my own...I'm looking into those dang floaties, I tell ya!!!

Ooh that's a good idea! I totally know what you mean - I didn't start wearing contacts until high school and I didn't want to do anything that involved putting my head in water because I wouldn't be able to see. Now I don't have that problem (got LASIK surgery a year ago) but I still don't like putting my head underwater/opening my eyes underwater.
I know exactly what you mean...I feel like such a putz because I'm afraid to put my face in the water, and I have so much trouble with contacts I didn't dare try them while snorkeling! I was going to try to get LASIK this year using my flex spending account, but I've had some back trouble and have had to put my money towards that this year instead. Maybe next year, but if we buy a house soon, that might not be in the cards for me for a while longer...sigh...

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about your back. Are you doing ok now?

And when you get the chance, LASIK is definitely worth it! Definitely one of the best purchases I've made ever - I love not having to bother with contacts, glasses, etc. - it's SO nice. Though the first few hours after the surgery weren't too fun - thank goodness they give you painkillers to knock you out for a while!
Thanks BEG...my back is still messed up, but nothing I've tried seems to be working, and it's just sucking my FSA dry. I think I'm going to break down and get new glasses this spring since it's been over two years since my last prescription, but I'm hoping in another year or two I'll be able to do the LASIK. Funny thing is that DH really likes the way I look in glasses, and I personally can't stand it! I would rather be glasses free all the time! He will always have to wear glasses since he has keloid scars and they won't do any vision-correction surgery on people who don't scar properly as they can't guarantee the eyes will heal. I'm all about taking advantage of the painkillers, personally, but DH would probably go nuts listening to me whine!

May I ask what area you had your surgery done in? There are a few Lasik surgeons here with good but mixed reviews from people I know, and that just makes me nervous. At the rate I'm going I'm just going to let Kaiser go at me and see how it turns out! Ha!
32.gif

Oh no. I'm sorry to hear about your back
7.gif
Hopefully you and the doctors will figure out why it's messed up soon.

I totally get wanting to be glasses free! BF said my glasses made me look librarian cute but personally, I feel like the biggest dork/nerd in them (no matter the shape, brand, material). And don't worry about the discomfort post-LASIK. For me, it was only for a few hours after getting home and they gave me a sedative to knock me out so I could sleep it out. Unfortunately, I don't react well to valium (it makes my heart race) so it wasn't pleasant for me (I dozed in and out) but most people handle it just fine. Plus it isn't really pain - it's just annoying discomfort (like feeling like your eye is prickling - not strong enough to be painful, but just so persistent that it drove me batty).

I had mine done in Chicago, at the LASIK Plus Center (Link) though they have locations all over. My women's law mentor (an attorney in Chicago) did hers through them a few months before I did and she recommended them). If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask!

ETA: Here is my LASIK surgery thread

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Awesome info, BEG, thank you! I''ll be sure to check out your Lasik thread tomorrow and the links you sent.

Another thought...I have a hard time even putting my contacts in because I can''t stand things in my eyes, so I wear them very infrequently. I know they say you need to be able to keep still during Lasik so as not to mess it up...how did you do with that?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 2:05:40 AM
Awesome info, BEG, thank you! I''ll be sure to check out your Lasik thread tomorrow and the links you sent.

Another thought...I have a hard time even putting my contacts in because I can''t stand things in my eyes, so I wear them very infrequently. I know they say you need to be able to keep still during Lasik so as not to mess it up...how did you do with that?

From what I remember, they put drops in your eyes to numb them, and then you go into the room and lie down on the table, and they prop your eyelids open so that you can''t blink by accident during the procedure. You''re asked to look at the red spot/point of light above you and as you do, they cut the flap in your cornea. Once they lift the flap everything goes blurry, and then they use the machine to do the reshaping, which took like 10-15 seconds. You feel pressure during that part but no pain (you''re awake for the whole thing so it is a bit disconcerting to hear and smell the process - burning hair smell), and then they reattach the corneal flap and do the other eye.

Definitely go with someone since you won''t really be able to see that well. After the procedure I was taken to one of the examining rooms and told to wait for 10 minutes until my vision cleared up a bit, and then they put me in sunglasses and sent me off. Super easy and quick. My eyes started prickling on the train ride back down and I was really uncomfortable (I hadn''t taken any painkillers or sedatives at that point) but thankfully BF was there to guide me back.

You have to be really careful for at least a week, maybe a bit longer, after the surgery not to rub your eye, and they made me wear goggles when I slept so that I wouldn''t roll over and mess up my healing corneal flap (the danger is that you''ll dislodge it) and you''re given tons of eye drops because your eyes will be a bit dry and itchy for a few weeks.

One of the possible side effects of the surgery is haloing. At nighttime, the lights will have a nimbus around them, I guess. I do have that - I didn''t notice it for a long time though. I don''t mind because it doesn''t affect me (like I live in Chicago, so I don''t drive) and it''s not that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results