shape
carat
color
clarity

Two Vintage Green Tourmaline Rings

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was looking at the Paraiba International website today and I saw a Paraiba tourmaline that totally reminded me (in color) of one that my grandparents bought in a ring in Brazil in the 1970s from H. Stern (I actually have the original receipt). It's 18k white gold with a sparse halo of single cut diamonds. I love this ring. My grandmother gave it to me almost 15 years ago. I wonder if it might be related to Paraiba tourmaline, or...if it might actually be early (before it was named) Paraiba. It's definitely green, but it can look bluish, yellowish or both.

image_3898.jpg

Eight years ago, my husband and I bought another (bluish green) vintage (older than the definitely Brazilian one) tourmaline ring at an antique show. It's also 18k (yellow shank and unplated white basket), with a little diamond on each side. I took both of them out today and snapped some pictures. I love both of these rings. :)

image_3899.jpg

image_3900.jpg

By the way, this is the stone I saw that reminded me of the color of my Brazilian tourmaline ring:

http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=4637

paraiba-green-tourmaline.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1443995517|3934814 said:
I was looking at the Paraiba International website today and I saw a Paraiba tourmaline that totally reminded me (in color) of one that my grandparents bought in a ring in Brazil in the 1970s from H. Stern (I actually have the original receipt). It's 18k white gold with a sparse halo of single cut diamonds. I love this ring. My grandmother gave it to me almost 15 years ago. I wonder if it might be related to Paraiba tourmaline, or...if it might actually be early (before it was named) Paraiba. It's definitely green, but it can look bluish, yellowish or both.

image_3898.jpg

Eight years ago, my husband and I bought another (bluish green) vintage (older than the definitely Brazilian one) tourmaline ring at an antique show. It's also 18k (yellow shank and unplated white basket), with a little diamond on each side. I took both of them out today and snapped some pictures. I love both of these rings. :)

image_3899.jpg

image_3900.jpg

By the way, this is the stone I saw that reminded me of the color of my Brazilian tourmaline ring:

http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=4637

paraiba-green-tourmaline.jpg

Those look like typical bluish/greenish tourmaline to me. They don't have the neon glow that paraibas are famous for. They are very pretty stones nonetheless. Enjoy them!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It never occurred to me to think the Brazilian one might have anything to do with Paraiba until I saw the stone I linked to. They are very similar in color. That one of mine (the definitely Brazilian one) does have a glow.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1444006164|3934850 said:
It never occurred to me to think the Brazilian one might have anything to do with Paraiba until I saw the stone I linked to. They are very similar in color. That one of mine (the definitely Brazilian one) does have a glow.

Have you ever seen a true Brazilian Paraiba in person? They glow like they're lit up with an electrical source. It's really hard to describe until you've seen one.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TL|1444006246|3934851 said:
Have you ever seen a true Brazilian Paraiba in person? They glow like they're lit up with an electrical source. It's really hard to describe until you've seen one.

No, I don't think I have. I did watch the video on the green one, though, and it didn't seem to glow any more than my Brazilian one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1444006478|3934852 said:

No, I don't think I have. I did watch the video on the green one, though, and it didn't seem to glow any more than my Brazilian one.

You have to be careful because many vendors will say any blue green tourmaline is paraiba simply if it has copper, but just because it has copper doesn't mean it has such intense saturation that it glows.

Here's a video with an example of that glowy look to it. I've seen stones with more intense glow, but at least this gives you an idea. THis stone is African in origin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExxiNPWxocQ

Your stones remind me of some of the lovely examples of blue green tourmaline on this vendor's site. They are not paraiba, but still quite lovely gems.

http://www.ajsgem.com/blue-blue-green-gemstone-tourmaline-2046340393.html

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Tourmaline I love your rings.
TL what do you think of Paraiba's tourmaline? When I first saw it it reminds me of an emerald.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovinggems|1444007139|3934856 said:
Tourmaline I love your rings.
TL what do you think of Paraiba's tourmaline? When I first saw it it reminds me of an emerald.

Some lighter emeralds look like pale African paraibas, which are not as valuable as the top notch Brazilian paraibas.

I love paraibas though, I have several of my own, but no Brazilian ones, although I've seen Brazilian ones in person that were worth $$$$$$$. They're not for people that don't want to be noticed, as the top ones can be seen across a room.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TL|1444006929|3934854 said:
Here's a video with an example of that glowy look to it. I've seen stones with more intense glow, but at least this gives you an idea. THis stone is African in origin.

Wow, yes, that is a gorgeous glow. Kind of like high end Mahenge spinel.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1444007308|3934859 said:
Your stones remind me of some of the lovely examples of blue green tourmaline on this vendor's site. They are not paraiba, but still quite lovely gems.

Yes, this one is quite similar in color to my Brazilian one!

http://www.ajsgem.com/tourmaline/blue-blue-green-tourmaline/blue-green-tourmaline-2.74-carats.html-0

Yes, it does look very much like your larger gem.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1444007404|3934860 said:

Wow, yes, that is a gorgeous glow. Kind of like high end Mahenge spinel.

One is hot in color, while the other is cool.

a86f1bbc9122d292bf58ecc83a2af4f4_1_.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a Brazilian blue/green tourmaline without the "glow."

tlbrazilian_tourmaline.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! Two amazing rings Tourmaline. A gorgeous blue green.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lovely rings!

I doubt they are paraíbas, though. The Batalha mine is quite isolated and it wasn't explored for gems before the tourmaline find. A local dude was convinced there was something of value in the hill and spent years and years looking for whatever. He was something of an eccentric and no one had much faith. Of course, he eventually did find paraíbas.

S

SparkliesLuver

Very lovely sentimental rings regardless of what they are or aren't! :love: Thank you for sharing.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, everyone, for the information and the compliments. :)

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow stunning color!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous rings! :appl:

bklynbrn

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous and unique!

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Lovely blue-green tourmalines! From what I have learned, they would have to be tested to see whether or not they contain enough copper to be considered Cuprian or Copper Bearing tourmaline. It's possible that tourmaline mined before the great Paraiba find could have the same amount of copper as the Paraiba, Africa (and later Nigeria and Mozambique) finds. That said, even if they are proven to have enough copper to be considered cuprian, they cannot be labeled Paraiba legally unless they came from the three sources above.
That said, many gem lovers feel that the true title of Paraiba may only be bestowed on highly saturated cuprian blue-green stones with an unearthly glow that can only be seen in person to be believed. They, also, can only come from the three areas mentioned above.
I am lucky to have seen this glow in person, and it's when I started collecting. I have never been able to afford the real thing, but the cuprian tourmalines from two of the three sources above have been in my budget. They are lovely, but still lack the saturation and glow of a Holy Grail Paraiba.
Here is a ring I bought that has "paraiba" color but is likely not Paraiba so my photo title is incorrect. Anyone else please jump in and correct my errors here!

brazilianparaiba.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would love to see the glow of a Holy Grail Paraiba in person. Maybe I'll try to see one next time I'm in NYC.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Tourmaline,your rings are gorgeous! :love:

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know the identifying characteristics of a Paraiba? Should it come up 1.62 on the refractometer like a regular tourmaline?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1444006478|3934852 said:

You have to be careful because many vendors will say any blue green tourmaline is paraiba simply if it has copper, but just because it has copper doesn't mean it has such intense saturation that it glows.

+1

I wouldn't call your stones Paraiba Tourmalines (due to their colour) but they are exceptionally beautiful Tourmalines - the smaller of the two looks a little like it's tipping into Indocolite Tourmaline territory as well.

If you ever tried to sell them (and I hope you don't because they're gorgeous), I doubt you'd get much interest in them if you labelled them Paraiba BUT as Tourmalines, you'd have people around the block wanting to buy them!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gem Queen|1444583546|3937246 said:
Does anyone know the identifying characteristics of a Paraiba? Should it come up 1.62 on the refractometer like a regular tourmaline?

The difference between a Paraiba and other Tourmalines is not the RI - it's the chemical make up. Paraibas have to be copper bearing. HOWEVER, just because a Tourmaline has copper in it, it doesn't mean it's classed as a Paraiba. In fact they are usually classed as "copper bearing tourmaline". To be a Paraiba it has to have the intense neon colour and glow like it has a lightbulb inside it - even in dim lighting conditions. Have a look on this forum for some wonderful examples of Paraibas and you'll be able to see the difference.

As TL said above, unscrupulous dealers will sell "copper bearing Tourmalines" as Paraibas simply because this tag increases the price. However, that does not mean they would be classified as Paraibas by a lab or by anybody who knows anything about gemstones. Hope this helps.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LD |1444654099|3937429 said:
If you ever tried to sell them (and I hope you don't because they're gorgeous), I doubt you'd get much interest in them if you labelled them Paraiba BUT as Tourmalines, you'd have people around the block wanting to buy them!

No, I will never sell them.

Deathspi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
LD |1444654327|3937430 said:
Gem Queen|1444583546|3937246 said:

The difference between a Paraiba and other Tourmalines is not the RI - it's the chemical make up. Paraibas have to be copper bearing. HOWEVER, just because a Tourmaline has copper in it, it doesn't mean it's classed as a Paraiba. In fact they are usually classed as "copper bearing tourmaline". To be a Paraiba it has to have the intense neon colour and glow like it has a lightbulb inside it - even in dim lighting conditions. Have a look on this forum for some wonderful examples of Paraibas and you'll be able to see the difference.

As TL said above, unscrupulous dealers will sell "copper bearing Tourmalines" as Paraibas simply because this tag increases the price. However, that does not mean they would be classified as Paraibas by a lab or by anybody who knows anything about gemstones. Hope this helps.

So true. I've seen many retailers selling almost white or muddy green stones as 'Paraiba' just so they can sell an ugly stone at a premium. Its a shame the 'proper' ones are so expensive though... :cry:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if the "glow" comes across well but here's one of mine that looks unreal and almost man-made. In the shade this glows just as much.

tournmaline_pendant_0.jpg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cool!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results