shape
carat
color
clarity

two settings - opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wilco200

Rough_Rock
I''m debating over two platinum settings. Both are available at whiteflash.

The first is the traditional 4 prong Tiffany style setting.

The second is the 4 prong sleek line setting (CWHSolitaire).

I will be setting a 1.02 ct. E SI1 H&A stone.

Is there any reason why you would choose one setting over the other?

Will one provide for more brilliance, security or stone, etc?

Thanks for your input

wilco200

Rough_Rock
I just got the measurments for these two setting

the tiffany is 2mm all the way around

the other tapers from 2.22 - 1.80.

Without seeing these it's hard for me to judge the best thickness. My GF is a size 4.5 and has pretty skinny fingers.

Is either better?

Do I need to go wider...say 3mm

Any help much appreciated.

gman246

Rough_Rock
My gf is a size 5, she also wants a basic tiffany setting, 1 baguette (straight) on each side. We looked at rings and my gf prefers slightly skinnier (as did I). I felt the 3mm was too thick and for the 1.14 that I just bought (also E-SI1), I don't want the band detracting from the diamond at all. So I prefer a 2-2.5mm....from what I understand, the size of the baguettes will dictate somewhat the thickness of the band (because you don't want a thick band with skinny baguettes or a skinny band with thick baguettes in my opinion).

So personally, I told my guy to custom make it to a 2-2.5mm spec. 3mm was way too big for my (& my gf's) liking.

Good luck :)

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
Pictures?

wilco200

Rough_Rock
the pictures are on the Whiteflash ring site.

maggiepie11

Rough_Rock
Unless she prefers a chunkier, heavier looking ring, I'd definitely say 3mm is on the wide side for a petite finger. I have sausage fingers, and my ring is well under 3mm! (please, no jokes about the sausage fingers!)

Also, I would vote for the classic tiffany over the sleek line ring.

Here are my reasons: I think that the beauty of a solitaire is that it's classic and simple and allows the diamond to steal the show. I think the tiffany solitaire best fits the role. Also, depending on what you think she wants to do about the wedding band, the tiffany setting is a lot easier to match up with a wedding band. My friend's engagement ring is similar to the sleek line solitaire, and it's been a nightmare getting something to match up so far. If you think she won't care if they match up or not, then I'm out of suggestions-so flip a coin--they're both beautiful!

Good luck!
appl.gif

wilco200

Rough_Rock
just curious.

As I am first-time ring buyer what do you mean when you say you think it will be more difficult to match the sleek line ring?

What is it about your friends ring that made it difficult?

I too like the simplicity of the tiffany design, but was leaning towards the sleek line only because it added a little something different without being overstated.

3Richmond

Rough_Rock
Wilco,

My vote is for the sleek line as that's the very same setting I went with for my fiance. You can find a picture of it at:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/flying-high-she-said-yes.6710/

My finace has a size 4 ring finger and anything beyond 2mm would be too wide. Like you, I decided I wanted something that looks a little different than the tiffany setting as it's very common. My fiance gets as much complements on your sleek line setting as her diamond. Also we've had no problems with finding bands that match the sleek line setting. You just have to go with a band that is also 2mm.

Hope that helps - Good luck!

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
3Richmond's fiance's ring is beautiful. If your girl is a 4.5 size I think you could go with the 2mm, but if she has ling finger you'll have no problem with the 3mm. I'm a 4.75 but my ring finger is almost 3" long and my previous e-ring was I think 5mm and it looked fine. My old wedding ring was 7mm (easy could've been
4.gif
and everyone liked the size for my length finger. I do have to comment that I didn't wear my e-ring and w-band together. I have long fingers.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Thought I would post pics in the thread to help out.

Thanks to Rich, here's the Sleek Line~
1.gif

WFSleekLine.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
And here, of course, is the "Tiffany" style~
1.gif

WFTiffany4Prong.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results