shape
carat
color
clarity

Two Possible Venues- Input Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I've never been good at being concise so I'll just lay it all out for you. Feel free to let me know which, as a wedding guest, you'd find more interesting/memorable.

Option 1- Top of the Tower
Price per head- $120/head for Friday, $140/head for Saturday
Included in package:
-Cocktail hour with 6 passed apps and 2 stationary apps
-3 stations for dinner
-Viennese table
-Wedding cake
-Bar set-up (we bring in our own booze, whatever we want)
-Basic floor length linens in white or ivory
-chairs (nothing special, but totally acceptable)
-tables
-4 votive candles per table in square glass containers
-Parking (12 hours beneath the building)

The venue is in the 50th floor of a building in the center of Philadelphia. Its next to the Comcast Tower which is the tallest building in the city. The cocktail hour is in this long room/widehallway with floor to ceiling windows facing north. The flooring is a slate tile with a grey blue and off white walls. The dinner is in a room thats facing west with a view of one of the rivers in Philly and famous Philadephia Art Museum (the steps that Rocky trains on in the movies) and Boat House Row (looks like a row of gingerbread houses when lit up at night). We would catch the sunset at dinner here. Dessert and dancing will be in a room that faces east. There is another river in this direction and then you can see a bunch of the bridges connecting Philly to NJ. The views at night (at least what I can see from the website) are amazing. There is another story above this one that has a balcony that can be used if the weather is agreeable.

Pros:
-Views, views, views!!
-I like the concept of having two (or two and a half if you could the hallway/room the cocktail hour is in) separate rooms so people who won't want to listen to loud music can get away.
-I believe we could find a church within walking distance to this venue and parking is for 12 hours so people could park and walk to the church and then back. Also, anyone staying in a hotel could easily take public transport or a cab so they can drink later.
-Bringing in our own alcohol so we can choose exactly what we want. Hello, signature cocktails??
-We would have the venue to ourselves.

Cons:
-It is very "banquety" as my friend put it. This facility was built solely for private parties. We were originally envisioning something more unique but I think that the view can make me forget about the lack of originality in this venue.

Option 2 The Moshulu
Price per head: ~$125/head for Friday, $150/head for Saturday
On Friday the package includes:
-4 hour open bar. The brands are decent (Absolut, Smirnoff, Finlandia, Captain Morgan, Bacardi, Cuervo, etc.) and a house wine/beer.
-5 passed apps during cocktail hour
-Seated 3 course dinner with two entree options.
-Wedding cake (but this can be switched out for a dessert table which is what we want)
-China, linens, tables, chairs, etc. The chairs are real wood dark dark brown chivari chairs with a black on black damask pattern.

This venue is located on an 105 year old clipper ship docked on the DE River in Philly. (The DE river separates Philly and NJ). It is primarily a 4-star/4-diamond restaurant thats owned and operated by a group of guys who have also been involved in opening some of the bigger hotels in Philly. The guy we met with is one of them and he and his co-owners all opened the 4 Seasons in town. He told us that they started doing weddings and private parties a few years ago because people kept asking them about it. The dining/dancing room is in the bow of the boat. There is a deck above it that is open in good weather and closed off and heated in cold weather. Thats where the cocktail hour would be.

Pros:
-Top quality food. These guys know what they are doing and know the meaning of top notch hospitality (as least I hope so with their work history!)
- Very unique venue. People wouldn't be forgetting about a wedding on an old ship.
- Full open bar (though we could have that at the other place, just depends on how much we want to spend gathering booze for the Tower)
- They have a partnership with nearby hotels to get good rates. A Hyatt and a Sheraton or something.

Cons:
-The restaurant is open during our function. The dining room is right off of the host station and we would share bathrooms with the restaurant patrons. In the summer months there is another restaurant/bar open on the top deck of the boat. We will have access to another deck adjacent to the cocktail one and from there people from the bar could see our party. He assured me that there would be staff and signs to prohibit people from entering our event.
- Less food for the money. Though, we weren't set on having a wedding cake anyways.
- More challenging to get to. Not sure about a church within walking distance but it seems there might be one reasonably close.
- Low ceilings. Then again, its a boat. I'm not surprised.

Alright, thats it for now. That I can think of. The websites aren't great. Especially the Top of the Tower one.

Feel free to be open with your opinions. I'm really curious what everyone thinks. I'm not really leaning one way or another at the moment.

ETA: Apparently both of these locations are listed in the top 5 of The Knot's most stylish Philly wedding locations.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
BOAT BOAT BOAT!!!

missismene

Shiny_Rock
both are great option, but #2 looks better to me.
i am picking out my reception place as well, visiting my #1 this monday.
so good luck, i know it is a hard decision.
will be glad when its done!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boat here too.

I love having a beautiful view and lots of food, but I would trade it for amazing unique pictures and high quality food.

Make sure neither you or FI gets seasick though. I would NEVER have been able to handle a boat reception, even with dramamine small boats make be sick.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
TOWER!

I LOVE city views. I''m actually thinking of having my reception in a location with views of our skyline.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
In an attempt to be cohesive I will post my comment from ...elsewhere... into this thread.
2.gif

Your venues sound amazing! It must be so hard to have such killer choices. ;-) I think Top of the Tower sounds really nice. They both do, but it seems like the view is a great selling point and it would be more private, which sounds like something you are looking for. I agree with Aimee that you sound a tad more excited about that one. I completely understand being drawn to something more unique like the Moshulu, but imo the Top of the Tower sounds like it''d be pretty darn memorable, "banquet" style or not. I''d definitely be impressed as a guest either way! As an aside, is the boat floating on the water in such a way that might cause sea sickness? Maybe I''m projecting other experiences with boats in the past that were more extreme, but I get really, really seasick, so if the boat rocks at all that might be something to consider for both you and your guests. Then again, I am terrified of heights, so I wouldn''t exactly be smushing my face up against the floor to ceiling 50th story windows...
Really I think they both sound great, although it''s so hard to pick from two very different venues. I wonder what your Fi will say. Keep us updated!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
To answer the boat/seasickness questions- To be honest I hardly noticed that I was on a boat when we were "aboard." Its tied up so solidly that there isn''t any sloshing around. The thing that reminded me that I was on a boat was the porthole in the wall of my bathroom stall.
3.gif

I don''t think that seasickness would be an issue. At least I hope not!

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
That''s a good sign! It sounds like you really can''t go wrong with either option. I can''t wait to hear what your Fi has to say about his preferences.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Tough choice! We looked at Philadelphia area venues for a while (I'm from the area) before deciding to have our wedding in Upstate NY (where we live now) and you have two nice choices there. Here are a few thoughts:

- Views: Sounds like the TotT views are one big selling point for you. However, I assume the Mosulu has some views (of the bridges/river at least). So, think about how good the Moshulu views are- will your guests still get a feel for the city based on what they can see from the boat?

- Decorating: A friend of mine considered TotT and one concern of hers was decorating the rooms. As you said, your event will take place is 2+ rooms, rooms that are (from pics I've seen) fairly plain and somewhat corporate looking. Unless you're going for a minimalist vibe, I think it would take a bit of money and creativity to make the multiple rooms look festive. Sure, the city skyline beyond is decorative, but I'd still want the room itself to look fabulous. I've not seen photos of the Moshulu interior but I would think it would require a lot less decorating. So, be sure to count the amount of money you'd have to spend on decorating each place when comparing the total costs of the two venues.

- Other Philly suggestions: I'm not sure if you've looked exhaustively for venues and one of these two are definitely IT, or if you're open to other suggestions. But in case you are open to other suggestions, when I was looking around Philly I liked Glen Foerd Mansion (these people also run Knowlton Mansion), the Franklin Institute, and Morris House Hotel (for a smaller wedding, up to 120 I think). I've also heard you can have weddings at the Waterworks (right next to boathouse row and the Art Museum), so that may be something to check out if you haven't already.

Good luck making the decision!

oakpark

Rough_Rock
vote for TOT, but echo others suggestions:
waterworks is BEAUTIFUL, near art museum and boat house row (HELLO PHOTO OPs!),
also if you are on the science nerd side, a very "memorable" location is the Mutter museum (ran by Philadelphia Med society/college of physicians)
also, the BEN Franklin House has a lovely ballroom in a nice center city location..

I''m a little jealous; Philadelphia is a great place for a wedding!
Haven''t been to either of your suggested venues (other than driving by), but think either one would be great, as well.

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock
I vote on the boat. Could you guys have your wedding on a day that the restaurant is closed to the public, or on a night where it''s not as crowded? For example, ours is at a 5 star restaurant too but we are doing it on a Sunday, so the restaurant is closed to the public and we have the whole place to ourselves.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I am from Philly too! and that is where my wedding will be. I vote number 1. I have seen the boat and it is not my cup of tea, but to each his own and you love it- go for it!

Did you look at the Hyatt at Penn''s Landing? Also has an amazing view and is on the water.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Waterworks is beautiful, but my friend who is looking at venues told me it''s booked into 2011! Also, it''s not good for mid-sized parties because if you can''t fit into the restaurant itself, you have to rent this gigantic tent they put up on the patio. You can''t beat the location, though!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone and thanks for the input!
35.gif

The first words out of my mouth this morning to FI were "So where do you want to have our wedding?"
3.gif

I woke up feeling good about the boat but FI is pretty much not into it. He hates the concept of the restaurant being open while we have our wedding. Also, he didn''t like the fact that the room where we would eat, dance, and get booze was in the box of the boat and sloped a little. I suppose the uneven floors gave him an uneasy feeling. Though I thought the view from Moshulu was pretty nice (I personally love the look of lit-up bridges) but he felt like the TotT was much superior.

I really could go either way. I think that I would be completely happy with either so I''m sort of grateful that FI has a stronger feeling about one over the other. I just really want to check out the food quality at TotT before we sign anything. I did read great reviews on Wedding Wire about the overall experience. Some mentioned the food was great but their idea of great food could be pretty different than ours.

I looked at the website for Waterworks and I think it looks great. It might be worth checking out. We are open to a Friday night so maybe we''d get lucky.

I think we will check out a few more places but we would be happy at TotT as well. I''ll have to Google the other Philly area venues you guys have suggested.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing like a strong preference to make choosing just a tad bit easier.
3.gif
Your options sound great, both the ones you''ve already shared here, and the other options suggested. I''m excited to see how this all turns out! Your wedding is going to be fabulous.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Of these, I prefer the tower (because I prefer having the whole place to myself, and the Moshulu will be open to the public), but they both look nice!

I actually live right next to the Comcast Center, and I really wanted to have my wedding in Philly, but everything just turned out to be way too expensive. My budget is more like $50/head than $150/head. But if you're still interested in considering other venues within your price range, I would consider the Penn Museum. I had my heart set on getting married in front of the sphinx at the Lower Egypt Gallery. I had to give up on it because of the price. But if you like this venue, you could have my dream wedding!
9.gif

QueenG

Shiny_Rock
Hi Clairitek,

I didn''t read all of the responses, but I do have an opinion to share. I was in a weding a few years back at TOT. I believe the caterers/planners were different back then, but I have nothing but great things to say. Amazing view, can bring your own alcohol, different rooms so guests don''t have to hang in the dance room if they don''t want, the upstairs floor is available for bridal party to do whatever they need to do etc... I think the space is really nice. It''s not hotel-y, not too banquet-roomy. It''s elegant without the foo-foo. I assume that the planners and caterers are just as good as the ones they had before. This response is all over the place, sorry. If you have any specific questions, let me know. If I don''t know off-hand, I can always ask my friend for you!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 9:38:13 PM
Author: Lioness
Hi Clairitek,

I didn''t read all of the responses, but I do have an opinion to share. I was in a weding a few years back at TOT. I believe the caterers/planners were different back then, but I have nothing but great things to say. Amazing view, can bring your own alcohol, different rooms so guests don''t have to hang in the dance room if they don''t want, the upstairs floor is available for bridal party to do whatever they need to do etc... I think the space is really nice. It''s not hotel-y, not too banquet-roomy. It''s elegant without the foo-foo. I assume that the planners and caterers are just as good as the ones they had before. This response is all over the place, sorry. If you have any specific questions, let me know. If I don''t know off-hand, I can always ask my friend for you!

Wow! Thanks for letting me know about your thoughts on this place. I think that some of the employees have changed but the food service is the same. I get the impression that the guy we met with (who is actually the assistant to the main sales person) is fairly new.

This helps a lot. Thanks!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I thought of another venue I saw that i LOVED- The Constitution Center, really cool and all glass windows.

Just throwing it out there. If you ever want to swap info about Philly wedding planning, let me know
1.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh they both sound so cool! I''d probably end up going with the tower for convenience purposes, but I couls see how that would be a tough choice. Good luck!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the Tower all the way!! The boat seems fun but pales in comparison to the Tower. I think you could decorate the Tower rooms up to get the feel however you want it... but the views are the biggest selling point to me. Plus if you want to bring your own alcohol - you seem pretty excited about the signature cocktails! The biggest point against the boat to me is the fact that it stays open - that was the biggest strike against mine and FI''s #2 reception site too - it was an airport general aviation terminal, but it stays open to the public the entire time, so people can still come inside all night during our reception to plane-watch. We wanted a *bit* more privacy than that. Plus, you get all those rooms and space and variety of functions and things people can do to entertain themselves at the Tower - it seems great to me! I''d love a place like that, but they don''t exist around here.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 12:09:10 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries
I vote for the Tower all the way!! The boat seems fun but pales in comparison to the Tower. I think you could decorate the Tower rooms up to get the feel however you want it... but the views are the biggest selling point to me. Plus if you want to bring your own alcohol - you seem pretty excited about the signature cocktails! The biggest point against the boat to me is the fact that it stays open - that was the biggest strike against mine and FI''s #2 reception site too - it was an airport general aviation terminal, but it stays open to the public the entire time, so people can still come inside all night during our reception to plane-watch. We wanted a *bit* more privacy than that. Plus, you get all those rooms and space and variety of functions and things people can do to entertain themselves at the Tower - it seems great to me! I''d love a place like that, but they don''t exist around here.

I actually thought of you Strawberries when we were looking at the boat. I think I actually encouraged you to choose the airport even though it wasn''t as private because I thought it was such a unique venue. How funny it is that I''m in a similar pickle as you were. I love the uniqueness of the boat (and I''m from a place where boating is a big deal so its sort of like "home" to me) but I''m uneasy about the public aspect. Now that I am in the same situation as you were I can totally see why you chose the more private location even though it was less convenient for planning purposes. Though, an aquarium is still very unique!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 11:12:49 AM
Author: sba771
Oh I thought of another venue I saw that i LOVED- The Constitution Center, really cool and all glass windows.

Just throwing it out there. If you ever want to swap info about Philly wedding planning, let me know
1.gif

Ooh I really like the location of the NCC! FI and I sort of gravitate to Olde City when we decide to head into the city and don't have a particular location in mind (though part of that might be because we just start driving east and we just end up stopping there thanks to the river).

I just emailed them to ask for pricing. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'll take any advice you have about Philly wedding planning. I am also in touch with Octavia. I wonder how many other Philly brides there are out there in the planning process.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 12:24:43 PM
Author: Clairitek

I actually thought of you Strawberries when we were looking at the boat. I think I actually encouraged you to choose the airport even though it wasn't as private because I thought it was such a unique venue. How funny it is that I'm in a similar pickle as you were. I love the uniqueness of the boat (and I'm from a place where boating is a big deal so its sort of like 'home' to me) but I'm uneasy about the public aspect. Now that I am in the same situation as you were I can totally see why you chose the more private location even though it was less convenient for planning purposes. Though, an aquarium is still very unique!
Haha Claritek I had to sign in just to respond. Irony like this just makes me grin at life - it's so funny sometimes. Anyway, yes the lack of privacy at the airport is what pretty much closed it for us. The place is never as crowded as a restaurant would be, but you can almost always go in there and find random families with their kids in there watching planes and eating take-out. I mean, if I had a family, I'd probably go hang out there too - you're protected from the elements, but you can still see everything, plus it's just a really cool atmosphere. But I just couldn't picture myself relaxing enough to have a reception there. If it was going to be huge with hundreds of people, I might be ok with it... but we're probably going to have 100 max, so most of the people I know pretty well. I just didn't want the chance of random families coming in and being rude, even unintentionally.

However though, at least with the boat venue, you will be separated from restaurant patrons, except for the bathroom. Hehe, you'd probably get some fun comments from nice little old ladies in the restroom when you have to go in your dress!
3.gif
But at least the party is separated from the other people, and only visible to them - there's no chance for "intermingling" with them, like at the airport. It's good that the manager seems well-versed in the ways of good hospitality and would have staff on hand to keep the party separate. So it does have that positive point going for it! So don't give up on the boat just because of that, especially if you feel at home at the boat venue... but on the other hand, if the semi-private feel makes you feel uneasy, the Tower certainly is the polar opposite of that! Haha HIGH above all the other people, and with views!

We actually haven't booked anything yet. We loved the uniqueness (AND the closeness to home!!) of the airport. I think we're just narrowed down to the aquarium from lack of anywhere else we were comfortable at, plus we really liked the feel of being in there, and the event coordinator there. Also, there's some interesting ceremony location possibilities in the area we're looking at now.

Let us know when/what you decide!
1.gif

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
YAY
36.gif
36.gif
Philly brides!

I haven''t been to either (unless you count a drive-by!), but you have a tough choice!! I think, for me, the privacy issue would be the tie-breaker... so TOTT wins by a hair. But that''s just me! Both are fabulous! Good luck!

PS more locations, if you''re interested:

http://www.cescapheballroom.com/
http://www.thetroc.com/ <------- the trocodero theater. Can be rented out for weddings, but I haven''t a clue on the price.
http://www.valleygreeninn.com/ <------- an inn across from the Schykill in Fairmount Park

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to the Tower being an "easier" venue thus it edges out. It''s really, really nice to have all the employees at your venue working on your party rather than also trying to navigate a restaurant, too. Plus, it sounds beaaaautiful!

Bex215

Rough_Rock
I''m a Philly bride too! But our wedding is going to be super small so we''re looking at totally different kinds of venues...we''re looking at some this weekend.
But anywhoooo, have you considered the Zoo??? They have some COOL set ups! I wanted to have my reception in the Tree House! Also, check out the Visitor''s Center and the Franklin Institute, both have some neat aspects.

I''m kind of anti-Moshulu. Especially if the restaurant and bar are open. Those crowds can get a little rowdy. If you like the idea of a boat, have you considered the Spirit of Philadelphia? I think they do weddings AND the boat actually moves. I''ve never been to TOT but the view sounds like a huge selling point.

Keep me posted on what you decide!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Ooh more options!! Thanks guys.

I contacted the Troc and the Valley Green Inn. They both look interesting. I''ll have to go take a look at the zoo option.

Looking over the volume of food we would get at the Tower vs the Moshulu its not really a comparison anymore. I realized that we actually get 5 stations (2 pasta, 2 meat/fish, 1 international) with dinner and they keep it running for TWO HOURS. Their menu options look creative and I''m salivating over the hors d''oeuvres list. I''m starting to feel less worried about the quality of the food. I''m still waiting to hear back from the contact there about doing a smallish tasting before we sign the contract.

Hey Philly brides!
If you are considering doing your own flowers make sure to check out Produce Junction (there are many around this area) . I plan on doing my own since I have fairly simple taste in arrangements and you cannot beat the prices of Produce Junction in Philly. Well, thats a bold statement but it certainly beats florist prices.
The down-side of that option is that I have to wait until a few days before the wedding to figure out what flowers I''m going to use but I''m not that worried. I don''t have my heart set on any one kind of bloom. I love them all.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
OMG Produce Junction rocks.

A friend of my family had her wedding in the Franklin Institute- it was nice but got crowded so it is better for a smallish guest list. The natural history museum also does weddings and I think it is cool. (I am a dork)
We also looked at Spring Mill Manor which we fell in love with and would have booked on the spot. The only reason we didn''t was because we are having a winter wedding and it is a tad far away in the even of snow. It is not downtown, but a great venue that has everything you could imagine and some amazing photo ops.

Also the Crystal Tea Room and Ballroom at the Ben are so classic downtown Philly. (I swoon at the thought)

In NJ there is a really nice venue called The Mansion and is very good for all inclusive type weddings

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I may be little bit late, but I think I have to agree with your FI. I think that a slanted floor could be dangerous, and the other thing I thought of that kind of turns my stomach some times, is the smell of fishing piers. I''m not sure if any other boats dock there or not, but just something that crossed my mind.

With that said, I''m a huge sucker for views!!
30.gif
Especially from downtown highrises. I don''t necessarily think that a blank slate is a horrible thing. You can do whatever your mind can imagine and can use any color palet you want. I also think that the public transportation factor is great for OOT guests, if you are having a bunch. If you aren''t then they will more than likely ride with other people or take their own car anyway.

I haven''t read the most recent posts, so I hope this wasn''t a mute point. Best of luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results