shape
carat
color
clarity

Two possibilities!!! (photos included!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: Photos now posted on page two of this thread! Thanks to Jon for resizing for me!

Jonathan at Good Old Gold has infinite patience and has located two stones for me to consider!

The 1.37 H is a stone he just called in for me to look at because it meets most of my specifications (at least 7.2mm, 3 very highs on the brilliancescope, etc.). It is an Isee2 branded stone which carries a little premium. It scores a solid H on color, AGS0.

The 1.63 H is a stone he has had on his site, and I have loved it for awhile, except it is a little larger than I think I want. However, it scores great on all his tests, and even scores a very high H to G on his color meter! The 1.63 is really a little better number-wise than the other stone, although they are both excellent. It has a GIA Ex cert. I have the 1.63 on hold and there is someone waiting for it if I don't get it. So I need to decide quickly!

My big hang up is the same as before..concerned about what size to get when most people around me have under a carat. I probably should get the 1.37 because of where I live, but the 1.63 is just more sparkles to enjoy (yet I might feel self-conscious wearing it!). I'll give the links and post a couple of photos. Price difference is about $3000.

Here are the links:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2239

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond.php?d=540&shape=1&ctMin=1.3&ctMax=1.7&clarity=28&color=16&inHouse=1&resultsColumns=268451855&singleResult=1

Please keep in mind that I live in a relatively small southern town, not a big city. But I'd love some opinions!

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
As could have probably guessed, go for the bigger one. It looks prettier (not just cause of the size either, but of course that helps).
31.gif

Best,
LizzyD

P.S. If it''s sparklier, you may end up kicking yourself down the road if you pass on it. Plus, you''d be amazed at how quickly yoou get used to the size of a larger stone on your finger.
9.gif
10.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vote goes for the 1.63. It''s gorgeous. Love everything about it. YUMMO!!!
30.gif

anika

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely go for the bigger one! Diamonds tend to mentally shrink and people around you will get used to it to. HOnestly I laugh at some of my comments to my jeweller a couple of years ago " I couldn''t possibly wear a 1.5 etc" and now I''m looking for a bigger stone.
The people around you who wear less than a carat are possibly not as much into diamonds or don''t think about them that much or can''t afford bigger whereas you love diamonds so its not always the best benchmark.
The stone sounds gorgeous BTW.

Good luck!
Anika

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d go with the bigger one too. I honestly think once you wear it for a little while you really will get used to the size and it won''t seem so big down the road. Would you be sad if someone else bought it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rats! I can''t post the photos because they are too big!

I told Jon that you''d all say go for the bigger one! It does seem just about perfect except for my size complex!

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
If you''ll let us badger you long enough you''ll get over that complex.
17.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Diamondseeker ~
emrose.gif

I have a question for you. Well, maybe a few.
2.gif

*Has Jonathan compared them both and given you his "opinion" on both of them?

*Which one is the most expensive, and does that really matter to you in the end? Which one is $3,000.00 more?

Personally, I am leaning towards the 1.63 H. It''s not because it is bigger, I just think overall the pic''s look nicer than the other (Minutely better), but nothing is like a trained professionals "eyes" looking them both.

So, I would say ... Ask Jonathan which one he thinks looks most firery and awesome ... if he can''t pick one, then I would go for the bigger one if the price was right. But, that''s just me.

The madness continues!
19.gif
And don''t forget to have a great day!
35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2006 8:03:35 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I''d go with the bigger one too. I honestly think once you wear it for a little while you really will get used to the size and it won''t seem so big down the road. Would you be sad if someone else bought it?
I am sort of watching your progress, mrssalvo! You went from a 1.0 to a 1.5 and now you are deliberating settings, so I have been paying attention!

Yes, I think I''d be sad to lose the 1.63, although I think I''d be more eager to snap it up if it were 1.4 or 1.5. I did let a 1.35 H VVS1 go about a week or so ago. These stones do sell, so you can''t wait forever to decide.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/6/2006 7:48:51 PM
Author:diamondseeker2006

My big hang up is the same as before..concerned about what size to get when most people around me have under a carat. I probably should get the 1.37 because of where I live.
Hi Diamondseeker ~
emrose.gif

I personally live in a small town too. However, I see most people with under 1 ct ... there are a few that have over 1ct too. And a few more that have between 2-3 cts. I don''t hear any ladies gossiping about so and so and her over 1 ct diamond ring. Usually it''s ... "Oh my gosh, did you see what she got! I wish I could borrow it for a day!
30.gif
" "DROOL-FEST!"
18.gif

I say, once you are over 1ct ... there isn''t going to be any super-major differences between the 1.37 and the 1.63ct. In other words ... both are going to be show-stoping sparklies ... if your going to go over the 1ct mark ... go for the gold if the price is right for you.

Keep smiling!
35.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2006 8:26:32 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Date: 7/6/2006 8:03:35 PM

I am sort of watching your progress, mrssalvo! You went from a 1.0 to a 1.5 and now you are deliberating settings, so I have been paying attention!

Yes, I think I''d be sad to lose the 1.63, although I think I''d be more eager to snap it up if it were 1.4 or 1.5. I did let a 1.35 H VVS1 go about a week or so ago. These stones do sell, so you can''t wait forever to decide.

thanks DS..the stone was the easy part for me, the setting on the other hand
32.gif
I honestly ended up getting bigger than I thought I would. I''m sure it will seem huge when I get it, especially since i haven''t had a ring for a year. That said, I really think the 1.6 is an incredible stone and if you get it, I don''t think you''ll regret it one bit.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs Darlin Joy,

Jon tells me that both stones are visually beautiful! The 1.63 has slightly better specs even though both are very nice H&A stones, and it is $3000 higher since it is in the higher price category. He would choose that stone for me if cost is not the primary consideration.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
35.gif
HI DS!

I think the 1.63 would be my choice. NOT because of it''s size (although that''s a bonus) but because it looks so VERY beautiful. And I think that you love it. As for the size and those around you. They will drool over it... but in a good way. In the same way you are drooling over it now. And if they don''t.. .it''s because they are envious. Don''t let someone elses issues keep you from something you love, can afford, and want. Plus it''s a high H-low G.
31.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/6/2006 8:43:23 PM
Mrs Darlin Joy,

Jon tells me that both stones are visually beautiful! The 1.63 has slightly better specs even though both are very nice H&A stones, and it is $3000 higher since it is in the higher price category. He would choose that stone for me if cost is not the primary consideration.
Hi Diamondseeker ~
face23.gif

I trust Jon''s eyes! If he is in any way leaning towards the 1.63, and you can afford the additional $3,000.00 ... I would go for it.
30.gif
If you can''t then let it go.

Everyone else sees what they see, and it''s lookin real gorgeous
30.gif
... and if Jon states he''d choose it and cost is not the primary consideration ... there you have it. There is a reason why someone else wants it if you don''t.
31.gif

Nothing like some pressure!
25.gif

Good luck ... I''m glad I''m not the one who is pacing the floor right now!
35.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Nice dilemna here DS, they are both seem to be great stones. I too have to go with the larger one. I''m not one to always pick the bigger diamond, but I just like the numbers on that one and I think that you will get used to the size. I live in a small city myself and although most people do not have large diamonds, some do and it is not really a problem. Why not be the envy of all your relatives, you deserve it!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lizzy, Kaleigh, Anika, Gypsy, and Sundial,

Thank you all so much for posting, too! Even though I totally trust Jonathan, I told him I'd probably post here to get some encouragement! I had a feeling which one would be favored! It is so bad to pick these diamonds apart! I mean, the stone that is the "inferior" of these two is still an AGS0 (new cert, so it is 0 for light performance, too)!

I appreciate everyone sticking with me through my long search! I hope I am really close to a decision so that I can suffer along with Mrs. Salvo in searching for settings! I am anxious to see Mrs Darlin Joy's new Vatche settingl!

I am going to see what my husband says. He won't really care one way or the other, but I wish he'd have a preference. I have a hand shot of these stones that is too big to post, but he can at least get a sense of the size difference.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2006 9:50:06 PM

I hope I am really close to a decision so that I can suffer along with Mrs. Salvo in searching for settings!!

yes, please...i need something else to focus on, like helping you with YOUR setting
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2006 9:53:27 PM

yes, please...i need something else to focus on, like helping you with YOUR setting
9.gif
Is it bad that the setting search is my favorite part... and that I''m enjoying both of your processes?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrssalvo and Gypsy...

I guess all I can say is misery loves company..although it IS fun most of the time!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know you say many people around you don't wear bigger stones. But I wouldn't let that be a determining factor in your decision. You are wearing this stone for YOU and no one else. Who cares if it's bigger than the ones around you. I mean it's not like you are wearing a 5 carat rock. So go with what you want. What YOU will love down the road.
2.gif

The bigger one is it, hands down. Then we can talk about settings, YAY!!!!!
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/6/2006 9:57:53 PM
Mrssalvo and Gypsy...

I guess all I can say is misery loves company..although it IS fun most of the time!

it''s fun until you have to actually DECIDE on just ONE
23.gif
9.gif

So DS, you''re wanting a solitaire right??
11.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lisa, I''ll tell Jon you told me it has to be the 1.6...Lol! I do need to run this by my husband! I''ve been in the mountains this week and actually returned home a day early because I knew Jon had the other stone in, and I couldn''t access my email after my husband left on Monday! How sick is that???!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2006 10:00:43 PM

Date: 7/6/2006 9:57:53 PM
Mrssalvo and Gypsy...

it''s fun until you have to actually DECIDE on just ONE
23.gif
9.gif

So DS, you''re wanting a solitaire right??
11.gif
Yes, I think so, Lol! I like several things. Since this is an anniversary ring I have thought about possibly getting a stand alone ring such as that Richard Landi setting I''ve posted lately. However, I''m not too keen on a $4000 setting if I go with the more expensive diamond. On the other hand, I love solitaire settings with a diamond band, so that is probably what I''ll go with. But I like the SuperbCert Tiffany, the Lockes, some of the Vatche''s, oh and that was a pretty Ritani Mara posted tonight (except I''d want a little wider band than that). So narrowing it down to one is the big problem. The other problem is matching up a band if it is not a set. Ugh!!! This is complicated!

One other thing. I was with my mother in the mountains and her platinum rings are SOOOO dull! It made me second guess the platinum part and made me think I should reconsider 18k wg!
33.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Well, FWIW, I doubt that where you live is any more rural than where I live... and nice diamonds over a carat are few and far between. I ADORE my 2.36, (and it even shrinks at times!)... so I say... GO FOR IT! What''re you, CRAZEE????!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh honey... the banged up platinum shouldn''t put you off! A) you can get the plat polished at the same intervals as you''d get the WG re-plated. B).. um. PAVE would take care of that problem...
11.gif

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
DS, I think I would go with the larger stone (for one thing, you don''t need the VVS of the first one!)...It is not THAT much bigger, and it looks like it will be a beauty!!!
Will this be a "stand alone" ring???
(sorry -not paying attention here) Right hand or left??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, Lynn! That''s good to hear you''re the diamond trend setter in your town! Your new setting is one of my favorites for sure!

Gypsy, that''s true that both would need maintentance. My mom just never has hers polished so it is very dull and gray. I think you''re right that platinum looks better with pave. Not sure yet whether I''ll get it on just the w-band or both, though. I need to go look at settings in person somewhere.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2006 10:16:07 PM
Author: Carlotta
DS, I think I would go with the larger stone (for one thing, you don''t need the VVS of the first one!)...It is not THAT much bigger, and it looks like it will be a beauty!!!
Will this be a ''stand alone'' ring???
(sorry -not paying attention here) Right hand or left??
It is an anniversary ring but I''ll likely get it set as a new wedding set. I''m keeping my old set for sentimental reasons.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Run, don''t walk, don''t pass go and don''t collect your $200. . . GET THE BIGGER STONE!!!!!

The numbers on the 1.63 are great - it''s a high H closer to a G - a real beauty! I am sorry that this is such a dilemma for you but remember there is truth in numbers. Most of these people are encouraging you to get the bigger stone because they have all been through the diamond buying process and know how quickly shrinkage sets in. If you were considering a 3 carat stone in an area where a 1 carat was the norm that would be one thing. 1.60ish is not ridiculous - not over the top. You will simply be the envy of all your friends and neighbors - that''s not a bad thing either! You will be astonished at how soon you will get used to the size and how small it can eventually become. Six months from now you will laugh because you waffled on it at all.

And remember - no matter what else you do tomorrow - GET THE BIGGER STONE!!!!! Enjoy!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
The larger one seems better, and like others have said, you will adjust pretty quickly I think! In your town, if people do not sport larger stuff, maybe most people won''t even really notice it and if so, just smile and say "Aren''t I lucky?" I TOTALLY understand how you feel but think you should do what YOU want. I live in a place where more is more and the bigger the better, so I do not have to factor that stuff in when I get stuff, but if that is your deal, I can understand your concerns. HOWEVER, you are the one paying for and wearing it, and you might regret later that you did not get the larger one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results