shape
carat
color
clarity

Two options: 7.2mm OEC OR 2.3 tcw BGD 5-stone

Phoenixdarling

Rough_Rock
So here's my dilemma: I recently sold my OEC e-ring with JbEG in order to upgrade to a larger stone. I have found a 7.2mm OEC/Tranny, J, SI1 at a local jewelry store that has _really_ lovely faceting, but it's in its original vintage setting that I'm not crazy about--I think bringing it up and out into a higher setting would be great, but that would not be possible for a year or two (maybe more??) Plus it looks like I would need to have the girdle polished (I think I see a small chip or two).

OR

I could go with a 5-stone. I have been so taken with all the 5-stones I've seen on here, and in particular, Demelza's trellis currently with JbEG (way out of my budget!!) I've actually ordered one from BGD, but not quite as big--the stones are BGS .45-.47 for a total of 2.3 ctw in their Trellis B style (which I am super concerned won't be large enough for my 7.5 finger size. I remember reading that Zestfullyblingy, who has my finger size, felt like her 2.12 ctw BGD 5-stone was too small after awhile, and she wanted to upgrade to 60 pointers.)

With either option, I would get some sort of wedding band to wear with it. **Also, both are nearly identical in price, so cost is not a factor.

I am SO TORN!! Which will give me the most bling? The most presence? The most happiness over many years? I have yet to see the 5-stone in person (I should get it in about a week), but I'm wondering for those people who have gone with just a band for an e-ring, did you get tired of it? Bored with it? It seems a whole lot of people on here have gotten the 5-stone, but then parted with it...

Bottom line--which one would you get?

Thanks so much! My poor fiance can't take my crazy ruminating and back and forth, but I know you folks would understand! :lol:

yates ring 1.JPG

yates ring 2.JPG

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that OEC/transitional! I think that with a diamond band will be more blingy than just a 5 stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh! Please don't buy that OEC ring if you want to change the setting! That setting is gorgeous and SO perfectly suited to the stone!

I think 40 pointers is huge for a 5 stone ring. I know bright ice thought 40's was almost too much for her size 6.5:

"Truthfully the .40ish range is just a tad much for my 6.5 finger because the end diamonds touch my other fingers just a bit and I don't prefer that. When wearing it, if someone shakes my hand it squeezes and hurts a little ( not that it happens very often).
The bling factor is outstanding."

I would have bought it from her but I knew it would be too big for me if it was too big for her.

As to your question, I think both can have equal presence or bling factor. I enjoy wearing my 5 stone when I don't want to wear my set. I have both sized for my left ring finger.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow hard choice. Here are my thoughts.

The OEC: I agree with DS. That setting is to DIE FOR. WOW. And in impeccable condition to boot. I love and adore the spread on that stone and personally I adore the personality of these diamonds and never get tired of them. So for ME, I know this would be a better choice.

The five stone: I recently tried on a 5 stone band (finger size 6.5) with 40 pointers. It was too much for my left hand. Pure and simple. I put it on my right (size eight) and it was MUCH better there. I LOVE BGD's diamonds. I really do, but I'm not a round brilliant girl, ultimately because I prefer personality over performance. Weird, but true. And I sold my Aurora from BGD because of that. I had 5 30 pointers in the Aurora and 8 ten pointers. It was too much for me, but it's perfect for Dreamer and would, again, have been fine on my right hand (bigger finger).

I think the 5 stone is going to give you more bling and more "OMG that's insane, I'm BLIND!", but the OEC will give you more personality. So it's just a matter of what you want.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should go for the five stone that you have ordered. I think that size will be SUPER blingtastic batman!

You asked: "Which will give me the most bling? The most presence? The most happiness over many years?"

I can tell you from experience that the five stone will give you WAY more bling and hand presence than any solitaire ever will, even paired with a pave band. And the size stones your bought are biiiig. It will be divine.

As for people selling... well it only seems that way. There are way more PSers who have kept theirs than sold them. Many of us enjoy change. Frequenct change ;)) Novelty. Maybe you are like that too? I felt very free when I accepted about myself that I don't need "one perfect ring". I like variety, and change, and new things. Maybe you do to?

So I suggest the five stone because you had a more traditional solitaire (albeit haloed) and it did not really make you swoon. Try sometihng new. And then you can perhaps get a solitaire later. A five-stone ring is a staple for any woman's jewelery wardrobe I believe.

As for what will give you happiness for many years? Who knows. ;))

Oh, and a five stone with a wedding band is a great combo, I wear mine almost every day and no I have not gotten tired of it in the last four months. Not the longest amount of time 8) but it is a classy, timeless, married, sophisticated look that I really enjoy.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really is a matter of preference. I personally thought the 5-40 pointers were too much finger coverage for me. Don't get me wrong, I loved it and the bling factor was fantastic. On my 6.75 right hand finger the two end stones touched the other fingers and I disliked that. If it spun any, it was worse. I sold it because I wanted to upgrade to a single large OEC.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think both will be blingy. I guess, since they are the same price, I would rather have one larger diamond than 5 (smaller) diamonds. Either one will be beautiful though!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That OEC and setting are absolutely gorgeous! I would chose that and keep the setting for sure...GORGEOUS!!!
But I love a gorgeous 5 stone...tough choice, but I'd chose the OEC.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
As much as I love and prefer OECs, I do have a 40-pointer 5stone trellis as a RHR (size 7), and I think it gives more bang for the buck in terms of bling and sparkle. It really has a commanding presence, and I truly love it. I'd stay with the 5-stone in your position.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619 said:
I think both will be blingy. I guess, since they are the same price, I would rather have one larger diamond than 5 (smaller) diamonds. Either one will be beautiful though!

Agreed! I have to say that I LOVE that OEC setting!!!

Phoenixdarling

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your replies and advice! I have a plan--when I get the 5-stone on Friday, I'm going to take it into the jewelry store and try it on with the OEC ring, in every lighting, and every angle, and I'll take an hour if I have to because I'm not leaving until I've come to a decision! :lol:

I swear, Pricescope has ruined me. This is my second marriage, and with my first (back when I was a wee girl of 22 ;-) ) I took the ring he gave me and didn't think anything of it (and it was a very included princess cut from a mall dealer!) And now? I'm crazed, and driving my poor guy crazy! I think once I make this decision, I had better take a little break from PS forums (maybe just a little one :Up_to_something: )

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I wear a 5 stone ring 2 ctw on my size 7.5 finger and I love the coverage it gives .would not want to go any bigger .

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Phoenixdarling|1330235235|3134757 said:
Thank you all for your replies and advice! I have a plan--when I get the 5-stone on Friday, I'm going to take it into the jewelry store and try it on with the OEC ring, in every lighting, and every angle, and I'll take an hour if I have to because I'm not leaving until I've come to a decision! :lol:

I swear, Pricescope has ruined me. This is my second marriage, and with my first (back when I was a wee girl of 22 ;-) ) I took the ring he gave me and didn't think anything of it (and it was a very included princess cut from a mall dealer!) And now? I'm crazed, and driving my poor guy crazy! I think once I make this decision, I had better take a little break from PS forums (maybe just a little one :Up_to_something: )

great idea! :)

Phoenixdarling

Rough_Rock
I made my decision, but it was HARD!! I stood in that jewelry store for 3 hours (!!), and made my poor fiance stand there with me. Let me tell you, I was pretty tortured having to choose between two beautiful rings. In the end, I picked the OEC! The thing is, I _wanted_ to be bowled over by the 5-stone. It's Brian Gavin Signature diamonds, for goodness sake! AGS000! Perfect (perfect) diamonds! But I picked that thing up from FedEx and wore it on my drive home and it wasn't that "This-is-it" feeling. It is BEAUTIFUL, and well-crafted, but it just didn't hit me the right way.

About the 5 stone (for those of you researching): I got 45-47 pointers in the trellis setting on a size 7.5 finger...and the prongs bothered me! The thing is, it's not like I looked down and thought "Holy #@! those are big stones!" but the diamonds did stretch out far enough that the prongs bothered me between my fingers. Both my mom and fiance tried it on and thought it was uncomfortable too. I think if I had decided to keep it, I would have returned that one and gotten the low-profile setting similar to the one Bliss has.

About the OEC: I think it's actually closer to a transitional, and the facet structure is truly mesmerizing. There were 5 or 6 women in the jewelry store during the time period we were there, and every one of them said they would pick the OEC over the 5-stone--it just draws your eyes to it! I did the same test with several family members and every one of them picked the OEC.

Funny enough, I hesitiated a bit when we took it out into direct sunlight because it went dark, sort of steely gray (which my old OEC didn't), but through research here I found out that ideal cut stones do that--the better the cut, the more likely they will go dark in direct sunlight, so that was reasurring to know. But in diffused lighting--stunning. I went to the grocery store with it last night and I COULD NOT stop staring at it--gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

The only thing bugging me now is the setting. I know, I know--everyone here thinks it's great. Actually, it's original to the ring, 18kt, and stamped with the designer's name, but...it feels a bit subtle for me : ) I think I'll give it a few weeks (maybe a month?) and see if it grows on me, but if not, I want to change it. Perhaps I can work with JbEG to make a new one and then put the original one on consignment with them (enough people like it, it would probably sell, right? ; )

Thanks so much for all of your input and advice!

Phoenixdarling

Rough_Rock
Oh goodness, sorry those last two are sideways--I didn't see that! Here's a handshot of the OEC/Tranny

Yates ring handshot 2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad you made a choice you are happy with!

Funny, when I do a similar comparison people hands down choose my Aurora (over a 1ct OEC solitaire), but it is not a typical five stone and it is comfortable between the fingers (the end stones are bezeled).

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous and I think you will be happy with your decision!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I much prefer the OEC, and I hope that setting grows on you. It's gorgeous! Maybe you can bling it up by getting a custom ring guard made?

liz

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
ahaha!! I was reading this just now for the first time and HOPING you would go with the big transitional...and you did!

So good to see. I love the stone and the setting. Enjoy in good health! :appl:

FairieMoon79

Shiny_Rock
I think the OEC is gorgeous on you and has more finger presence than the 5 stone. Glad you were able to find one that spoke to your heart:)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that 5 stone was just too wide for your finger. It looks beautiful, though!

I really love the OEC and think you made a wonderful choice! :appl: However, you already know that I think it would be really sad to separate it from it's original setting. So I will hope it grows on you as it will not be so easy to find a stone the exact same size to out in the setting. Part of the appeal to me is that it is all original. I would be much less likely to buy that setting without a diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm surprised by your choice-- but pleasantly. That is a gorgeous ring. I hope it grows on you. I would give it more than a month though.

I wouldn't consign it though. I would just sell it on the Pre-loved forum and Diamond Bistro.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FairieMoon79|1330918581|3140861 said:
I think the OEC is gorgeous on you and has more finger presence than the 5 stone. Glad you were able to find one that spoke to your heart:)

Agree!! Good choice.

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Really beautiful choice! I love that steel color outside - mine does that too and I find it mesmerizing. I hope you come to love the setting as well. It's really pretty and the box head makes the stone look even a bit bigger, IMO. Can we see a profile shot?

luckky

Shiny_Rock
I think you made a right choice :appl: That's such lovely on your finger and very beautiful classic design I really love it! :love:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
They're right -the setting is perfect and hopefully you will keep the ring as is.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the original setting is STUNNING. Not subtle at all! CLASSIC and YUMTASTIC! I really hope it grows on you -- but if not, congrats on the stone at least! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results