shape
carat
color
clarity

Two months salary

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blinginator

Rough_Rock
i thought i''d post this here too since people here might find it useful and interesting (and typically don''t go to the hangout forum):

american artist lee gainer is based in washington, DC and creates images that question culturally accepted perceptions. her series ‘two months salary’ is focused on the engagement ring industry. through the series, gainer investigates the evolution of the engagement ring from luxury item to must-have item. she discovered the popular convention of spending two-months salary on a ring was originally invented by debeers in 1947. this purchasing habit continues today and became an interest of gainer’s. gainer calculated the average US salaries for a number of occupations and found a selection of ring’s based on the two-month rule. she assembled these into a series of twenty prints each featuring nine rings and the occupation name.

http://www.leegainer.com/salary.html

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool exhibit! DeBeers has everlasting marketing campaigns that''s for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Very cool! I think I saw my favorite ring on the Farmer page, believe it or not!

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Very neat! I was really interested to see all the different rings in the occupation categories.
Saw some really pretty ones but weirdly I didn''t see a single that looked like my e-ring and I thought I would since my ring isn''t custom or anything and I think it is a pretty common sort of style not that I am complaining...
21.gif

But on my computer the pics came up kinda small too so who knows
Thanks!

ny47

Rough_Rock
This is so funny.
41.gif

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool link!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Interesting idea...the statement detailing the 2006 experience of the journalist, where women in the street said that 3/4 carat diamond was ''not good enough'' was surprising to me.

I don''t think there is such an emphasis on ''the ring'' in Australia, well, there is... but we just don''t spend as much money on it as a general rule...so in many ways it''s not directly relevant to the husband''s status... I guess exploring aspects of this was considered within the artist''s concept anyway...

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Cool exhibit - I like it.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 7:12:08 AM
Author: LaraOnline
Interesting idea...the statement detailing the 2006 experience of the journalist, where women in the street said that 3/4 carat diamond was ''not good enough'' was surprising to me.

I don''t think there is such an emphasis on ''the ring'' in Australia, well, there is... but we just don''t spend as much money on it as a general rule...so in many ways it''s not directly relevant to the husband''s status... I guess exploring aspects of this was considered within the artist''s concept anyway...
I have a feeling she only printed the negavtive comments. Even in NYC, most women women aren''t that rude- nor do they place more importance on diamond size, rather than the actual proposal.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I expected to see a bit more variety in colour and style. The rings all look like the rings that grace the pages of In Style. All of them looked the same.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Cool!

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that there doesn''t seem to be a whole lot of variety once you get past the doorknob dazzlers. I would think that there would be. It would be cool to see the rings worn by people of different professions...see if there is overlap.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 7:12:08 AM
Author: LaraOnline
Interesting idea...the statement detailing the 2006 experience of the journalist, where women in the street said that 3/4 carat diamond was 'not good enough' was surprising to me.

I don't think there is such an emphasis on 'the ring' in Australia, well, there is... but we just don't spend as much money on it as a general rule...so in many ways it's not directly relevant to the husband's status... I guess exploring aspects of this was considered within the artist's concept anyway...
In the US, it varies (the emphasis put on this) wildly from place to place. In some places, A LOT of focus is put on how big an engagement ring is, but in others, NONE is put on that. For instance, (famously) in NYC a lot of is made of having 2 ct rings, etc. But where I live (rural Hawaii), there is no emphasis put on this whatsoever. Women might have 1/4 ct rings that look like glass and that were bought at malls. That's the standard here. I imagine A LOT of places in middle America could care less about 2 ct engagement rings, and even about 1 ct engagement rings. This truly is specific to the city/ area, not to my country. Even professional women here don't wear big diamonds. It would just look out of place.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How interesting!

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
at the Anaesthesiologist and CEO pages!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results