Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Two different jewelers opinions leave me confused!

seedslinger

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
45
I am in the process of building an engagement ring using an heirloom setting. I have taken the ring to two different respected and PS recommended Bay Area jewelers.

The first jeweler told me that my setting needed a 6.5-7mm round stone and two prongs re-tipped at a cost of $485 per tip.

The second jeweler told me that I needed a 7-7.5mm round stone and did not mention the prongs until I asked about them. She then told me that they would take care of the prongs when they set the stone and make it seem like no big deal.

The setting is an "illusion-type", box shape, so obvious the stone diameter is critical.

How much should a platinum prong re-tip cost?

I can see where one or two prongs could re-tipped, but what could be the descrepancy between $485/prong from one jeweler "no charge" from the other?

Thanks!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Which two jewelers (it makes a difference) and do you have pics?
 

seedslinger

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
45
Gypsy|1318395586|3038355 said:
Which two jewelers (it makes a difference) and do you have pics?
First jeweler was David Clay in SF, second jeweler was Willow Glen Diamond Company in, well, Willow Glen (San Jose).

GG ring.jpg
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
seedslinger|1318398674|3038378 said:
Gypsy|1318395586|3038355 said:
Which two jewelers (it makes a difference) and do you have pics?
First jeweler was David Clay in SF, second jeweler was Willow Glen Diamond Company in, well, Willow Glen (San Jose).
Make an appointment before you go and make sure the bench person is there when you go.

Go to Joe Escobar in Campbell or Spitz in Walnut Creek. Ask to speak to their bench person yourself and get the information from the person who will be doing your repair. Watch them measure it. And if they have loose stones in house have them show you one of the size they recommend actually sitting in or over the setting. For repairs you ALWAYS want an in-house bench (not one where they repairs are sent out) and you want to speak to the person who will be doing your repair. Also make absolutely sure every, single, excruciating detail is spelled out on your repair ticket before you accept it. Re-read it twice to be sure. And if there any changes -- don't trust in their memory-- get it on the ticket.

I get repairs at Spitz and they are good with the repairs IF you speak to the bench person. Not if you speak to the sales staff. Joe Escobar's staff is better (much better) about that stuff.

Okay?
 

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
5,660
I also have had good luck with Joe Escobar. They repaired an antique ring and resized a platinum antique eternity band matching the milgrain perfectly. I like working with Eric.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
swingirl|1318401725|3038388 said:
I also have had good luck with Joe Escobar. They repaired an antique ring and resized a platinum antique eternity band matching the milgrain perfectly. I like working with Eric.
He's my favorite too. Great at what he does.
 

seedslinger

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
45
Really good information.

At David Clay, I was dealing soley with the sales associate. At WGDC the sales associate took the ring to the jeweler in back and asked him.

I guess I should know better then taking the word of any one else besides the jeweler.
 

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 13, 2011
Messages
509
Gypsy|1318403935|3038393 said:
swingirl|1318401725|3038388 said:
I also have had good luck with Joe Escobar. They repaired an antique ring and resized a platinum antique eternity band matching the milgrain perfectly. I like working with Eric.
He's my favorite too. Great at what he does.
Gypsy - you're an amazing asset to this forum and I'm constantly impressed by your advice. You're always detailed, measured and knowledgeable. Thanks for taking an interest and respecting each individual's preferences and taste. You help so many.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,139
The $485 figure is NUTS!!!! I had white gold tips redone a few years ago at $25 each. So platinum can no way cost $485 EACH! That is insane! Don't go back there!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
quaddio|1318467723|3038944 said:
Gypsy|1318403935|3038393 said:
swingirl|1318401725|3038388 said:
I also have had good luck with Joe Escobar. They repaired an antique ring and resized a platinum antique eternity band matching the milgrain perfectly. I like working with Eric.
He's my favorite too. Great at what he does.
Gypsy - you're an amazing asset to this forum and I'm constantly impressed by your advice. You're always detailed, measured and knowledgeable. Thanks for taking an interest and respecting each individual's preferences and taste. You help so many.

Quaddio, WOW. I think you just made my YEAR. Seriously. That is just the most amazing thing anyone has ever said to me. Thank you so much honey. *blushing*

Seedslinger: Please update when you know more. I know both jewelers will give you a good solid quote they will back up. :wavey:
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
22,498
diamondseeker2006|1318468047|3038949 said:
The $485 figure is NUTS!!!! I had white gold tips redone a few years ago at $25 each. So platinum can no way cost $485 EACH! That is insane! Don't go back there!
Not that I have anything to go by but that does sound ridiculous! $970 to retip 2 prongs. I bet I can find a whole new plat ring
for $970!
 

seedslinger

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
45
UPDATE: 11/7/11

I ended up buying a diamond that was just under 7mm; 6.98mm or so and took it to Joe Escobar to have an estimate done in regard to mounting the stone.

Joe Escobar quoted me $400 to build-up all 4 prongs, plus another $75 to fix the broken shank and size the ring. This was more than I was planning on spending, so I decided to shop around.

I ended up taking the ring and diamond to Fourtane in Carmel. I was quoted $200 to build-up all 4 prongs, fix the shank and resize the ring! I thanked them and left the ring and diamond.

What gives?

Did I make a mistake by having Fourtane set the stone?

How can the price for the same work vary by over 50% from jeweler to jeweler?
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
No clue how the pricing can be so different and I don't enough enough about the Carmel store-- BUT there's always a trail blazer -- it will likely be just fine, and "we" (PS) will have a new jeweler!

Excited for you.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
56,139
Jewelers will charge what people will pay, and apparently there are people who don't price shop! I really hope your repairs turn out well! Show us the ring when you get it back!
 

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
21,154
seedslinger|1320713685|3056478 said:
UPDATE: 11/7/11

I ended up buying a diamond that was just under 7mm; 6.98mm or so and took it to Joe Escobar to have an estimate done in regard to mounting the stone.

Joe Escobar quoted me $400 to build-up all 4 prongs, plus another $75 to fix the broken shank and size the ring. This was more than I was planning on spending, so I decided to shop around.

I ended up taking the ring and diamond to Fourtane in Carmel. I was quoted $200 to build-up all 4 prongs, fix the shank and resize the ring! I thanked them and left the ring and diamond.

What gives?

Did I make a mistake by having Fourtane set the stone?

How can the price for the same work vary by over 50% from jeweler to jeweler?
HI:

I visited this marvellous store--did you get away without buying anything??? HOW??? :saint: :bigsmile: Hope your ring repair works out for you.

cheers--Sharon
 

seedslinger

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
45
To be quite honest, I almost didn't go to Fourtane. I figured being that its in Carmel, it would be way over-priced.

Granted the price quoted is just a quote, I highly doubt that the price will increase by $275.00!

Fourtane is a great store and has a wonder selection of jewelery, especially a vintage Rolex watches.

I actually heard of Fourtane on PS, so I know people have used them. I will report back when I receive the work.
 

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
3,101
485 per tip is crazyness! even with the older style prong work that would cost more then the current style of prong the price is plain crazy. im hoping there was a miss understanding and 485 is for ALL work to get the ring wearable! that prongs,setting fee,polishing,rodium, sizing...everything.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top