shape
carat
color
clarity

Two diamonds, one decision - help much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Second City

Rough_Rock
After looking at many different jewelers, I have settled on one jeweler in downtown Chicago - Reuven Gitter. They are good people with an excellent selection of quality diamonds at great prices and come with a high recommendation from my family.

That being said, I have narrowed my choice down to two diamonds and need some advice from the experts on this board. The following specifications are directly from the GIA Reports that they faxed to me.

Thanks in advance.
Diamond 1
Price: $9,000
Date Report Issued: November 15, 2004
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.20 - 7.24 x 4.54 mm
Carat Weight: 1.50
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: SI2

Depth: 62.9%
Table: 61%
Girdle: Medium to Thick, Faceted
Culet: None

Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

Comments: Clouds are not shown. Crown angles are greater than 35 degrees.

Diamond 2
Price: $6460
Date Report Issued: March 8, 2006

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.97 - 7.03 x 4.17mm
Carat Weight: 1.24
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: SI2
Cut Grade: Very Good

Depth: 59.6%
Table: 59%
Crown Angle: 34
Crown Height: 14
Pavillion Angle: 40.6
Pavillion Depth: 42.5
Star Length: 55%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Very Thin to Thin, Faceted
Culet: None

Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Faint https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/login.asp

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should always pick one that doesn''t seem to pose any durability problems over one that might, but I don''t really like how the first one reads, either.

Second City

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 8:17:29 PM
Author: JulieN
You should always pick one that doesn''t seem to pose any durability problems over one that might, but I don''t really like how the first one reads, either.

What stands out to you the most?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. definitely looking at something leaky.

2. very thin to thin girdle. otherwise it''s a shallow combo.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither is very well cut. The first one has a smaller diameter than a 1.5 ct. stone should. It should be close to 7.4mm. It has a really large table, and thick is not good for the girdle. Crown angle greater than 35 degrees isn't so good either. Polish is only good...you shoudl look for very good or better.

On the second one, the cut appears a little better. But a very thin girdle is at risk of chipping. You want a girdle to be thin, medium, or slightly thick (not very thin or thick).

Most diamonds are pretty. But unless you were comapring these to really well cut diamonds, I'm afraid you're missing what a beautiful diamond can really look like. You don't have the angles for the first stone, but if we had them, we could plug them into the Holloway Cut Advisor under Tools above to see how it scores. I'll run the second one through just to see, but I wouldn't buy a diamond with a very thin girdle. (Forgot, it won't be accurate because the HCA is based on a medium girdle).

Did you look very closely at both stones from the top and sides? An SI2 can have eye visible inclusions. You have to be careful on that as well.

Second City

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/5/2006 8:30:13 PM
Author: JulieN
1. definitely looking at something leaky.

2. very thin to thin girdle. otherwise it''s a shallow combo.

Thanks for the response.

I get the inclination that you are not hot on #1. Overall, what do you think of #2 for the price?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Better options do exist for the same price level, though Internet prices.

Dimend Scaasi carries Eight Star; it is true that you really don't know what a great diamond looks like until you see one.

Second City

Rough_Rock
With a very thin to thin girdle, how high is the risk that it will chip?

diamondhunter10

Shiny_Rock
Were you swaying one way or another? do you have a certain preference on the cuts, look etc?
Why are you making a decision on Thursday, I would give yourself more time for feedback?

Second City

Rough_Rock
After reading the advice that people are giving, I am definitely going to hold off. I will be making a trip there tomorrow to see if there are any stones with a better cut and girdle. I will also stop by Dimend Scaasi.

I was swaying toward diamond #2, but after receiving the GIA report and hearing what people had to say, the girdle is a concern.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try to stick to AGS0 or GIA excellent cut (around 54-57 table, 60-62 depth, crown angle 34-35) , thin-medium-slightly thick on the girdles, very good or excellent on polish and symmetry. Dimend Scaasi should have some nice stones, and they also have beautiful settings.

WindyCitySparkle

Shiny_Rock
I live in Chicago too. Try M Martin and Co Jewelers on the 6th floor of the 5 South Wabash building. www.mmartinjewelry.com They have really well cut diamonds and they will show you the difference between a fair cut and an ideal cut. I shopped around a ton last year and they were the only ones whose diamonds really impressed me.

Second City

Rough_Rock
The problem with a lot of these jeweler''s is their store hours. I think they tend to forget that most people have work.

WindyCitySparkle

Shiny_Rock
Agreed, but they are open on Saturdays from 9-1. If you go to MMartin, make an appointment to meet with the owner, Steve Martin.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results