shape
carat
color
clarity

Two 1.6ct RB to choose from, please help! (Final decision next week)

mswaffle

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I have been ring shopping for almost 2 months now and have finally narrowed it to 2 stones that we are going to choose from. We have these stones on hold til Friday with 2 jewelers so unfortunately can't compare them side by side. We've looked at them through Ideal scope as well as ASET scope both looked pretty decent / comparable to me. However, one is cut to have the 60/60 proportion that I'm not too familiar. My understanding is that 60/60 stones would return more white light and have less fire? But the stone itself didn't really strike me as any less fire-y when I was examining it ... What do you guys think is a better diamond and would the different table vs. depth % combo have very different visual effect in daily life? I intend to set it in a simple 6 prong solitaire setting. Thank you everyone!! :pray::angel:=):twisted2::geek2:

Diamond #1 (60/60 proportion, $500 cheaper than the other one)
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=5182048573
Measurements 7.65 - 7.67 x 4.54 mm
Carat Weight 1.62 carat
Color Grade I
Clarity Grade VS1
Depth 59.2 %
Table 60 %
Crown Angle 35.0°
Pavilion Angle 40.6°
Sorry the images are terrible ... i took them myself (the jeweler said he'd take them on Monday and send to me)
IMG_20170923_175735.jpg
IMG_20170923_175810.jpg IMG_20170923_175806.jpg

Diamond #2 ($500 more expensive)
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=2171483474
Measurements 7.60 - 7.62 x 4.68 mm
Carat Weight 1.65 carat
Color Grade H
Clarity Grade VS2
Depth 61.5 %
Table 56 %
Crown Angle 34.5°
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
1.65HVS2-ASET white-01.jpg
1.65HVS2-ASET white-02.jpg 1.65HVS2-ASET white-03.jpg

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Second scope images look better to me but first one could be just slightly out of alignment.

You did good!

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It would be the second one for me. Looks great

Sparkly2017

Rough_Rock
Having owned stones with similar metrics to the above, I would recommend the second stone. The first will be very bright but will lack big flashes of scintillation which can be extraordinarily beautiful in natural shade. Also prefer the higher colour :) Good luck!

mswaffle

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the feedback!

Having owned stones with similar metrics to the above, I would recommend the second stone. The first will be very bright but will lack big flashes of scintillation which can be extraordinarily beautiful in natural shade. Also prefer the higher colour :) Good luck!

Would the brightness + lack of big flashes of scintillation be most obvious under sunlight? What you described is what I expected to see with my own eyes but somehow the first diamond looked like it had good scintillation too .. maybe it was due to the LED lighting it was under?..

Sparkly2017

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the feedback!

Would the brightness + lack of big flashes of scintillation be most obvious under sunlight? What you described is what I expected to see with my own eyes but somehow the first diamond looked like it had good scintillation too .. maybe it was due to the LED lighting it was under?..

@mswaffle This is going to sound really odd but I found it most obvious under like the shade of a tree or like walking into a train station where the light was dispersed somewhat. It's truly magical when you see it for the first time. I can only draw from personal experience so sorry if that's odd.

If you're looking at it in a store, you'll not see much difference but you won't be spending that much time under that sort of lighting in real life. In real life you're at home, walking places, at work, in shops, at restaurant etc. Actually I noticed it a lot more when I was in dimmer lighting like in a restaurant come to think of it. The difference in the Smaller table and ideal cut was really noticeable to me. The 60/60 will just be whiter and lack contrast.

Also, I personally found the huge table bothered me a lot after some weeks. If you look at the below two stones (on my finger taken in a B&M store) you can see that the top one has a smaller table and the arrows are pretty thick and long. It gives a very even look about it.

The bottom has like a big eye staring at you and these sharp thin spikes coming out of it. this was a 60/60 stone. just found the top (closer to your stone 2) to be more beautiful in the end but it really is preference. Both stones you have there are good. One will look bigger. One will have more evenness. I know what my pref is... You have to go with your gut so don't feel pressured by other people's opinions!

Hope that helps!
Capture21111.PNG

mswaffle

Rough_Rock
@Sparkly2017 thank you so much for the detailed explanation and the picture! it's very helpful. I'm very attracted to scintillation of a diamond so that's important to me. I think deep down I knew #2 would be a better stone and better deal overall (higher color), but I wanted to make sure I knew exactly 60/60 is *not* what I want before making the final decision. Thanks again! =)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results