shape
carat
color
clarity

"Twisted Cutting" advise please

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Although I have read a couple of posts that mentioned "twisted cutting". I am not too sure what this entails.
Is the example below considered a twisted cutting? Why does the cutter do that? How does twisted cutting affect a diamond's performance?
Twisted_diamond.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Basically a diamond is a 3d object and the way measuring and lab symmetry grading works combine to allow a way to cheat and make the numbers look better and get a high symmetry grade while adding weight.
They do this by twisting the facets in 3d space.
That can be done in several ways.

The heart image will show if there is a large amount of the most harmful twist. It will show up as uneven and variable sized hearts.
The ASET will show variations in appearance between the arrows.

While those images are computer generated and not 100 accurate they are good enough to show there is very unlikely a large ammount of twist going on.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Karl_K! This the image I posted above an example of a twisted cutting?

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Karl_K!! Just wondering, I saw a sarin report that said twist .02. Is that bad? The aset and idealscope look great.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi @Karl_K!! Just wondering, I saw a sarin report that said twist .02. Is that bad? The aset and idealscope look great.

not the same thing.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow. Ok. Thank you!! I was wondering about that!!

@Garry H (Cut Nut) can correct me if im wrong but as I recall sarin twist is comparing the pavilon meet points with the crown meet points at the girdle and noting the differece in degrees. .2 would be ok.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
@Garry H (Cut Nut) can correct me if im wrong but as I recall sarin twist is comparing the pavilon meet points with the crown meet points at the girdle and noting the differece in degrees. .2 would be ok.

Always so much for me to learn! This is a bit over my head. :) But, if you say it is ok, that is more than enough for me!! As always, thank you for taking the time to explain it to me @Karl_K . You really are such a gift to this community!!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here is an example.
630 in the photo.
900 in the IS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results