shape
carat
color
clarity

Twinning Wisp

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hello,

I recently purchased a round GIA graded .71 ct, H, SI2 diamond. This diamond came with a GIA Dossier, so the inclusions are not plotted. Under characteristics, "twinning wisp" is listed. The salesperson told me that a twinning wisp is basically formed during the formation of a diamond and that it would not be visible to the naked eye. I''m concerned however that maybe it is a really horrible inclusion to have and that I will be able to notice it once I receive the diamond back from being set in a Scott Kay ring. The diamond was purchased from a "maul" jewelry store before I came across PriceScope, so I am now a bit concerned about what I actually purchased.

Can anyone help me? I''m getting really, really worried!!!

Thanks!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have seen plenty of 100 year old diamonds with a twinning wisp.

At SI2 you must expect there is something inside your diamond - the notation of the WISP is code for the type of inclusion that might break - but from my 30 years experiance - 95% of chipped diamonds I see have broken girdles thatrun a fracture along a cleavage line under the bottom of the stone.

If your stone has a wisp on the side (East west) that is exposed - then just for saftey - have it turned to under a prong or north south - along the finger (70% of damage is in the E-W sides)

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Gary! I have enjoyed reading your posts over the past several months that I have been lurking here! You are so helpful!
1.gif

It sounds like a twinning wisp makes a diamond lose its durability. Does it also affect the way a diamond looks with the naked eye? What should I have seen using a loupe? I didn''t see anything at all with or without using it.

Does the GIA Dossier list all of the inclusions under its "characteristics" section? Could a twinning wisp be what made the diamond a SI2 or could there be other inclusions that weren''t listed?

Thanks, Joker. Now I understand why I didn''t see anything when using the loupe! That''s interesting.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/14/2005 6:57:46 PM
Author: goldenretrieverlover
Thanks, Gary! I have enjoyed reading your posts over the past several months that I have been lurking here! You are so helpful!
1.gif

It sounds like a twinning wisp makes a diamond lose its durability. Does it also affect the way a diamond looks with the naked eye? What should I have seen using a loupe? I didn''t see anything at all with or without using it.

Does the GIA Dossier list all of the inclusions under its ''characteristics'' section? Could a twinning wisp be what made the diamond a SI2 or could there be other inclusions that weren''t listed?

nO - TS NOT A DURABILITY ISSUE - IT IS A fear of durability issue.

The greatest risk is you will be worrying about it and get squashed by a truck

Oh, that is too funny! Gary, you have me correctly pegged as a worrier!

I will have to tell my fiance - he will love that one!

Gary, I forgot to ask -

Will the twinning wisp affect the brilliancy of the diamond?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How would a twinning wisp be distinguished from a feather?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2005 7:39:26 PM
Author: goldenretrieverlover
Gary, I forgot to ask -

Will the twinning wisp affect the brilliancy of the diamond?
I am not Garry,.... but no, that's a transparent, tiny strype of an inclusion. No way. You've just got a lucky SI2 with mostly (or tottaly) invisible inclusions. That's some reason for congratulations ! Stop worrying
9.gif

About what inclusions are mentioned on the cert... well, those that are important and have been considred for establishing the grade are. Pinpoints would be "missed" on the cert of an I1 diamond that has allot more glaring inclusions than the respective lonely pinpoints barely visible under 10X. The same pinpoint would make "If" into "VVS1" and might be plotted on the lab report of the VVS1. Which does not change the fact that this is a ridiculously tiny inclusion hard to find under 10x and too small for it's shape to show at that degree of magnification.

As far as I know, of course
34.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
valeria101 Do you know how it is defined as a twinning wisp and not a feather?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2005 9:42:25 AM
Author: pyramid
valeria101 Do you know how it is defined as a twinning wisp and not a feather?
No. I am not a grader...

These things look different and are supposed to have been formed in different ways. This is all I know. I don't have an example where the two types might be confounded - if there is such a thing.
34.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks valeria101. No I don't know if they look the same in real life - I just thought that on gog's link posted in this thread that the marks looked like feathers??

Does anyone else know?
34.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2005 10:11:41 AM
Author: pyramid
I just thought that on gog''s link posted in this thread that the marks looked like feathers??
You mean these hairy lines
33.gif

DSCN0687.JPG

I am not sure there''s need for complicated terminology. "Feathers" being cracks, I can hardly imagine some this long, twisted and thin. Even if these twinning marks are still structural flaws ("fault lines" sounds appropriate), their dimensions and look is rather unique.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just read in Gary Roskin''s book, twinning wisps are the twisting together of pinpoints, fractures, clouds within a twinning plane. Usually surface graining can be seen also. I think it is just that the plane is so thin that the feathers if that are so wispy as they are between the planes only. It notes that it is usual in trilliant and heart shapes as they are usually cut from twinned crystals.

Hi Valeria,

Thanks! You have made me feel soooooo much better! Now I have you and Garry telling me to stop worrying - okay, I will try!
21.gif

The reason that I am so paranoid about seeing inclusions is because at one point in this whole ring process I had purchased a VS2 graded by IGI (before I knew better!!!) and there ended up being a visible carbon spot that I didn''t notice when I first got it. You really can get blinded by the light, huh?

elmo65

Rough_Rock
Garry,

Can you post a diagram of where the majority of the inclusions that cause chips occur? Having trouble with a cleavage pont on the bottom of the stone. Is that along one of the pavillion cuts?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wrong wrong wrong.

Inclusions stop acleavage running.
Diamonds with no inclusions and very thin girdles and shallow crowns set in high 4 claw settings are at greater risk in my eperiance of having a chip run from girdle to culet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results