shape
carat
color
clarity

Twilight

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
I saw the movie last night! I have to say I was a little disappointed, but I expected that. Movies that are made after books that I LOVE are always a little disappointing to me because they aren''t what I picture in my head and they don''t have time to go into every detail in the book. My main problem was that they didn''t spend enough time focusing on Bella and Edward in love. I feel like the first part was just awkward before she knows what he is, then she knows and they are happy for a second, then the whole James stuff starts. I wanted them to be cute and in love for longer without being hunted! :)

Also, Jasper creeped me out. He looked so much like Edward Scissor-hands it was distracting. I''m sure I''ll like it better next time I see it without having expectations, and I''m sure I''ll buy it on DVD.

My favorite book was Eclipse, so I can''t wait for that one. New Moon made me sad because Edward was gone the entire thing (and yes, when I reread it I picked up WAY more than I did the first time).

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have never read the books, but I FREAKING LOVED THIS MOVIE. I am also more than a little bit obsessed with Edward now and I feel kind of bummed to know that furthur in the series he vanishes. Bah!

My husband bought me the first book yesterday (we saw it Saturday) because I would not stop talking about it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eclipse is by far my favorite, followed by Twilight and New Moon and Breaking Dawn are tied for suckage for several reasons...

Nessie--Thumbs down
Overwhelming Jacob presence--Thumbs down
Lack of human friends--Thumbs way way down (BD)

Alice--Thumbs WAY up
Emmett--Thumbs WAY up

Rosalie, Esme, Carlisle--whatever

I''m pumping my best friend, who saw it last night, for information about the movie via email because he''s at work. So he''s having me tell him about the book and he''s telling me about the movie...So far I''m not liking what I''m seeing.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re going to see it tonight...

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Good luuuuck! Haha report back!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 2:58:05 PM
Author: FrekeChild
We''re going to see it tonight...

Hah, let us know what you think. I watched it and then read the book, but I really do think it followed the storyline pretty well. No movie will ever be the same as the book, if only for times sake, but I think anybody that truly likes the series can appreciate the movie as it''s own entity.

I''m going to see if I can pick up the rest of the book series this weekend :) I''m so sad to know there''s only three more! (Though I did read the 15 chapters of Midnight Sun off the authors website, too.)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Saw it. Was impressed and unimpressed. Thought they changed a lot of stuff that didn't need to be changed. "I'm going to Jacksonville. It's a non refundable ticket." WHY?! Why didn't they just stick with Seattle?!

Didn't get the hots for Edward (but I've never been attracted to his "type". So no surprise there.) Ended up having to explain a whole bunch of stuff to FF. Like who everyone was. And why certain things happened in the movie and didn't have an explanation. And a lot of back story.

I was really disappointed that they didn't play up Bella's clumsiness, or at least mention it in any real sense. It's such an important part of her character and really is emphasized (and moves the plot) in the next three books.
I was disappointed that they didn't mention Jasper's power.
I was disappointed that they crammed so many longing moments with them staring at each other, and couldn't add certain things. Like having their first kiss in the right place.
I was disappointed in Carlisle's makeup. Everyone else looked somewhat natural.
I was disappointed in the tone of the movie.
I was disappointed that there weren't two dances. It was integral to the story.
I was disappointed that everything had to be blatantly spelled out for the audience. We're not stupid, most of us have read the book, and one would think that a writer from Dexter would be better at that.
I was disappointed that they didn't mention that Jasper and Rosalie have the last name Hale. I understand that's minor, but they should mention it sometime.
I didn't like Jasper's hair. Actually he just looked disheveled the whole time. And he's more important than they made him out to be.
I didn't like that they cut out that Bella cooks.
Actually I was really disappointed in how little they developed all of the characters. Emmett didn't tease Bella ONCE. And yet, we have Rosalie already starting her bs. That doesn't make sense to me.
I didn't like that they wasted so much time that could have been used for different things that would have made the movie more like the book.
I did not like the music. Period. Didn't work for me at all.
I didn't like the dude they casted as Jacob. What a freaking goon. I guess he fits the role for the most part, but they are going to have a tough time making him into what he becomes...both personality and physically.
I was disappointed that Stephenie didn't stand for certain things.

I liked Alice.
I liked Charlie.
I liked Billy Black, although he was totally different in the book.
I liked that the basic storyline was in place (how hard can that be though?! Vampire meets girl, vampire and girl fall in love, bad vampire tries to kill girl, vampire saves her, they live happily ever after. Kinda.)
I liked Bella's wardrobe. It fit with the book.
I liked Eric, Mike and Tyler. They were totally not what I had in my head, but it worked.
I liked Bella's mom.
I liked the flavor of the movie.
I liked the reference to the book's cover.
I love the Cullen house, although it was also nothing like what I imagined it to be like.

I think I'm going to have to let it sink in more before I can think of anything else I liked...

I'm looking forward to the next movie. I hope it will be better (but I'm not getting my hopes up!)

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I''m gonna comment on some things, if you don''t mind :) I like that we have such differing opinions of the exact same thing.

Date: 11/27/2008 2:55:01 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Saw it. Was impressed and unimpressed. Thought they changed a lot of stuff that didn''t need to be changed. ''I''m going to Jacksonville. It''s a non refundable ticket.'' WHY?! Why didn''t they just stick with Seattle?! How much does this matter? I''m pretty sure they just went with Jacksonville cause her mom was there and she mentioned this when she talked to Edward the first time in class. For those that didn''t read the book, it made more sense than Seattle did, especially since in the movie Edward doesn''t offer to drive her there.

Didn''t get the hots for Edward (but I''ve never been attracted to his ''type''. So no surprise there.) Ended up having to explain a whole bunch of stuff to FF. Like who everyone was. And why certain things happened in the movie and didn''t have an explanation. And a lot of back story. Really? I saw the movie before I read the book, and it made sense. What parts didn''t he get? Maybe I missed something since I WAS kind of distracted by Edward. (Robert is NOT HOT irl.)

I was really disappointed that they didn''t play up Bella''s clumsiness, or at least mention it in any real sense. It''s such an important part of her character and really is emphasized (and moves the plot) in the next three books.

I was disappointed that they didn''t mention Jasper''s power.

I was disappointed that they crammed so many longing moments with them staring at each other, and couldn''t add certain things. Like having their first kiss in the right place. I was actually surprised by this, too. They kept some of the dialogue but didn''t do it in the meadow. It would have been so easy to do, too, it was kind of weird.

I was disappointed in Carlisle''s makeup. Everyone else looked somewhat natural. I kept saying how much he looked like Tom Cruise
6.gif
But I liked how much more unrealistic he looked because he IS quite a lot older.

I was disappointed in the tone of the movie.Cause it was emo? Yeah, I thought so too.

I was disappointed that there weren''t two dances. It was integral to the story.

I was disappointed that everything had to be blatantly spelled out for the audience. We''re not stupid, most of us have read the book, and one would think that a writer from Dexter would be better at that. I hadn''t read it, so it made sense to me.

I was disappointed that they didn''t mention that Jasper and Rosalie have the last name Hale. I understand that''s minor, but they should mention it sometime. I thought this was weird too, but since they mentioned they were all adopted it still fit.

I didn''t like Jasper''s hair. Actually he just looked disheveled the whole time. And he''s more important than they made him out to be. I thought he just looked insane. He freaked me out.

I didn''t like that they cut out that Bella cooks.

Actually I was really disappointed in how little they developed all of the characters. Emmett didn''t tease Bella ONCE. And yet, we have Rosalie already starting her bs. That doesn''t make sense to me.

I didn''t like that they wasted so much time that could have been used for different things that would have made the movie more like the book.

I did not like the music. Period. Didn''t work for me at all.

I didn''t like the dude they casted as Jacob. What a freaking goon. I guess he fits the role for the most part, but they are going to have a tough time making him into what he becomes...both personality and physically. I LOVED him, even after reading the book. Granted, I haven''t read the others yet, but I still think he fit the part to a T.

I was disappointed that Stephenie didn''t stand for certain things. She did, actually - she stood up to Robert Pattinson because he kept trying to make out Edward like he was suicidal and super emo. She said she loved how it came out once he understood the character better.

I liked Alice. Dos!

I liked Charlie. Me too, but he made me cry when Bella left - he just looked so hurt.

I liked Billy Black, although he was totally different in the book.

I liked that the basic storyline was in place (how hard can that be though?! Vampire meets girl, vampire and girl fall in love, bad vampire tries to kill girl, vampire saves her, they live happily ever after. Kinda.)

I liked Bella''s wardrobe. It fit with the book.

I liked Eric, Mike and Tyler. They were totally not what I had in my head, but it worked.

I liked Bella''s mom.

I liked the flavor of the movie. Is this different from the tone?
2.gif

I liked the reference to the book''s cover. I actually totally didn''t catch that until you mentioned it just now - great eye!

I love the Cullen house, although it was also nothing like what I imagined it to be like.

I think I''m going to have to let it sink in more before I can think of anything else I liked...

I''m looking forward to the next movie. I hope it will be better (but I''m not getting my hopes up!)

One of my co-workers (my boss actually) asked me how I was liking the book because I was reading it at work. I said I saw the movie first and loved it so much I had to go buy the book, and I thought the movie and book were remarkably similar - much better than others I''ve seen. She agreed and told me that she hates when people say, "The movie was nothing like the book!" because, well, it literally CAN''T be. They just can''t cram 500+ pages worth of details into a 90 minute movie, it''s impossible. So for what they got away with in Twilight, I think they did a great job getting most of the integral things down.

I can hardly wait to get the other books!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 1:52:08 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Saw it. Was impressed and unimpressed. Thought they changed a lot of stuff that didn''t need to be changed. ''I''m going to Jacksonville. It''s a non refundable ticket.'' WHY?! Why didn''t they just stick with Seattle?! How much does this matter? I''m pretty sure they just went with Jacksonville cause her mom was there and she mentioned this when she talked to Edward the first time in class. For those that didn''t read the book, it made more sense than Seattle did, especially since in the movie Edward doesn''t offer to drive her there.
But that''s the thing, he should have. That whole scene--the one that Stephenie/Bella emphasized was incredibly important in the meadow--was gone! And it shouldn''t have been. Part of it took place in the woods, part of it took place in the meadow, part of it took place on the trees and part of it took place in her bedroom. WTF?

Didn''t get the hots for Edward (but I''ve never been attracted to his ''type''. So no surprise there.) Ended up having to explain a whole bunch of stuff to FF. Like who everyone was. And why certain things happened in the movie and didn''t have an explanation. And a lot of back story. Really? I saw the movie before I read the book, and it made sense. What parts didn''t he get? Maybe I missed something since I WAS kind of distracted by Edward. (Robert is NOT HOT irl.)
Ew. No he''s not. He didn''t understand a few things...I''ll have to think more about it.

I was disappointed that they crammed so many longing moments with them staring at each other, and couldn''t add certain things. Like having their first kiss in the right place. I was actually surprised by this, too. They kept some of the dialogue but didn''t do it in the meadow. It would have been so easy to do, too, it was kind of weird.
Totally.

I was disappointed in Carlisle''s makeup. Everyone else looked somewhat natural. I kept saying how much he looked like Tom Cruise
6.gif
But I liked how much more unrealistic he looked because he IS quite a lot older.

Hahaha!!! He totally looked like Tom Cruise in Interview with a Vampire.

I was disappointed in the tone of the movie.Cause it was emo? Yeah, I thought so too.
Yes! Totally emo. It had a pessimist/depressed feel from the beginning. The book had a lot more humor in it than the movie.

I was disappointed that everything had to be blatantly spelled out for the audience. We''re not stupid, most of us have read the book, and one would think that a writer from Dexter would be better at that. I hadn''t read it, so it made sense to me.
Meh.

I was disappointed that they didn''t mention that Jasper and Rosalie have the last name Hale. I understand that''s minor, but they should mention it sometime. I thought this was weird too, but since they mentioned they were all adopted it still fit.
In book 4, the Hale thing is mentioned a lot. I''m imagining that a lot of that will be cut out.

I didn''t like Jasper''s hair. Actually he just looked disheveled the whole time. And he''s more important than they made him out to be. I thought he just looked insane. He freaked me out.
Dude. Yeah.

I didn''t like the dude they casted as Jacob. What a freaking goon. I guess he fits the role for the most part, but they are going to have a tough time making him into what he becomes...both personality and physically. I LOVED him, even after reading the book. Granted, I haven''t read the others yet, but I still think he fit the part to a T.
This is a huge problem with me. Jacob totally changes in ways that I can''t imagine them making him into without a LOT of special effects. Once you read the rest of the books you''ll see what I mean.

I was disappointed that Stephenie didn''t stand for certain things. She did, actually - she stood up to Robert Pattinson because he kept trying to make out Edward like he was suicidal and super emo. She said she loved how it came out once he understood the character better.
He was too emo as it was.

I liked Alice. Dos!
Lol. Who doesn''t like Alice?

I liked Charlie. Me too, but he made me cry when Bella left - he just looked so hurt.
I liked that he had a sense of humor.

I liked the flavor of the movie. Is this different from the tone?
2.gif

Yes. I can''t explain it exactly, but the look of the movie is more what I''m talking about, tone is more the emotion of the movie.

I liked the reference to the book''s cover. I actually totally didn''t catch that until you mentioned it just now - great eye!
I doubt most people would notice it. Unless they are a hardcore fan.

One of my co-workers (my boss actually) asked me how I was liking the book because I was reading it at work. I said I saw the movie first and loved it so much I had to go buy the book, and I thought the movie and book were remarkably similar - much better than others I''ve seen. She agreed and told me that she hates when people say, ''The movie was nothing like the book!'' because, well, it literally CAN''T be. They just can''t cram 500+ pages worth of details into a 90 minute movie, it''s impossible. So for what they got away with in Twilight, I think they did a great job getting most of the integral things down.
I''m still with Harry Potter being remarkably similar to the books. More so than Twilight.

One thing that really bothered me was how awkward Edward was. He wasn''t that way in the book at all. And in the movie, both he and Bella have a sense of humor. In the movie neither of them really did.
Also...the scene in the meadow was incredibly important to the story--I really think it should have taken place. They had a meadow to lie on the ground in. Either have SOME of the dialogue in there or cut out the scene completely.
I also didn''t like that they didn''t show any of the conversations between Bella and Edward. A lot of the hardcore fans mentioned that they didn''t show how they fell in love--and they didn''t. That part was really lacking. One of my friends (who hasn''t read the book) said..."Bella is boring. I don''t know why Edward likes her."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results