shape
carat
color
clarity

Turquoise Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m looking to buy a turquoise bracelet. I really want it to be sort of a statement piece. I''m just not sure where to start looking. I''ve always loved and bought the stuff being sold on street markets, but I''m not even certain that stuff is real. This time, I''m looking for something a bit more fancy.

Are there websites or jewelers that are known for turquoise? Is there education out there or anything I should know about buying turquoise?

Thanks.
1.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I have owned several pieces made by Joan Slifka Designs. She creates high end pieces using the real thing.
36.gif

Lori

planet_jp

Rough_Rock
Where are you located? There''s a wonderful shop in New Market, MD called Santa Fe Trading Company owned by Ben Madrid, a Spanish/Native American man who comes from out there. He has gorgeous and unusual things and is a very nice man. He doesn''t have a website, but here''s a link to some information:

http://www.frederick.com/index.php?action=sponsor&id=3903

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And a photo, of course.

patania2ld.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love that fish bracelet!

this is the guy i go to but unfortunately right now he doesn''t have many bracelets on his website. you could contact him to see if he has any more pictures:

robertsilversmith.com

i have 11 or 12 of his rings.......for years i''ve been wanting a bloodstone set by him but he refuses to set anything that doesn''t meet his standards and he hasn''t found a good stone for me yet.

mz

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
When you say fancy what do you mean... Cathy Carmendy has some turqouise pieces that will blow the top of your head off. But she''s really pricey and her stuff is top quality (and no matrix).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/13/2009 11:35:32 PM
Author: Gypsy
When you say fancy what do you mean... Cathy Carmendy has some turqouise pieces that will blow the top of your head off. But she''s really pricey and her stuff is top quality (and no matrix).
You''re right. The first gold ring you posted DID blow the top of my head off!

Hmm, a bracelet equivalent of that? With a much smaller pricetag? Think it''s possible? My wrist is pretty small, but I want the turquoise to look exaggerated.

I want to wear this piece with my wedding gown. I''m trying to embrace my gown, the idea of wearing it, and feel like myself in it. I don''t know if I''m even making sense. I wear turquoise almost everyday. I thought a big exaggerated, beautiful piece on my wrist might help me to feel like me.

I do love the silver pieces but I''m not entirely sure that the Native American theme would go too well with my gown. It would depend, I guess, on the piece.

I''m in Northern California, so internet shopping is probably going to be my best bet.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd contract Sally at Heart of Water to see if she can make a bracelet for you. Look through her work, and chose styles you like. Also send her the Carmendy ring. Then I'd buy turqouise cabs from Riogems (I just ordered some, wait till I get mine) who was highly recommended for cabs by a PS vendor. Their cabs are natural, though stabalized (extremely common) by electric current (not injected with stuff like Chinese Turqouise) and they are VERY affordable. I would have Sally make you filgreed bezels (like the one around the Carmendy Ring) around each cab, then string them together for you and add clasp parts at each end.

I'm in Nor Cal too.

Do you want yellow or white gold, or silver (that looks like white gold pratically) for the setting? Sally can work with them all.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/14/2009 2:48:46 PM
Author: Gypsy
I''d contract Sally at Heart of Water to see if she can make a bracelet for you. Look through her work, and chose styles you like. Also send her the Carmendy ring. Then I''d buy turqouise cabs from Riogems (I just ordered some, wait till I get mine) who was highly recommended for cabs by a PS vendor. Their cabs are natural, though stabalized (extremely common) by electric current (not injected with stuff like Chinese Turqouise) and they are VERY affordable. I would have Sally make you filgreed bezels (like the one around the Carmendy Ring) around each cab, then string them together for you and add clasp parts at each end.

I''m in Nor Cal too.

Do you want yellow or white gold, or silver (that looks like white gold pratically) for the setting? Sally can work with them all.
Hi Gypsy,

Thanks for your help! I can''t wait to see your cabs. I looked that the Riogems website and didn''t see any any turquoise at all. Do you have to call them for turquoise? I love the idea of a filigree bezel. The necklace I wear all of the time has one. Just a cheap silver piece from Berkeley. Do you think Sally can make a cuff?

I''m leaning toward yellow gold because I love the contrast of yellow gold on turquoise and my gown is definite ivory. But...silver might work too, in the way of contradicting the gown in the way that I want. Kind of in a tennis shoes and tuxedos sort of way.

Here''s my gown. What do you think?

fanosmallest.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh your dress is gorgeous. I think I''d, personally, do white gold or silver dipped in rhodium. I wore ivory and all my jewelry was white metal and I really liked the look (obviously!).

Link to Turquoise Cabs

These are the ones I ordered. I ordered one pack (three in each) of the 6x8 and the 8x10.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for your help Gypsy. I truly appreciate it!

I''m really sorry for the delayed response. I hate to say it, but I forgot I wrote this thread. I swear my children keep stealing my memory and hiding it from me!
23.gif

I''m going to look into those cabs. I wonder if the biggest cab will be big enough. I''m thinking I want a cuff, rather than a chain.

Thanks again!
1.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
have you checked out this guy on Ebay? He has some nice stuff.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Jims-Rare-Gems__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results