shape
carat
color
clarity

Turquoise! Is it possible to tell if a stone''s been treated by looking at it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I''ve got two little turquoise cabs; I have no idea of their origin, but I bought them out of the country. Can you tell if they''re treated/origin by looking at them?

CIMG1881.JPG

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
More.

CIMG1882.JPG

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Without flash, I think the color is closer to what it looks like most of the time IRL.

CIMG1883.JPG

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
The back; one is rough and the other has been polished down.

CIMG1885.JPG

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
I can''t answer your question, but I love those blues
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say your chance of the one to the right being treated is low because you can still see the matrix on the back, especially if the colour on the front matches the back. I don't think the one on the left can be guessed at with a polished back.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Beth and Chrono!

Chrono- That''s what I was guessing also, and the color does match, but I''m not entirely even sure of how turquoise is treated.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ma Re!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Those are pretty. The color is really nice on both I''m going through a turquoise phase right now. Mostly because pretty cabs are available and I''m always after something pretty to set in my metal arts class. I''m not really sure how to tell if turquoise is treated or not. But recently I bought a few cabs that just didn''t look quite right. Something was lacking. And I have a feeling they had been treated with some sort of plastic stabilizer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results